1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First track day soon with my 07 gsxr 600

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by mtuned, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Trust me, we (racers) are very supportive. You will never find a place more supportive and family-like than a WERA paddock. On the forum, we are also very supportive of new racers; I have helped several out myself.

Like i said, this is a racing forum...where we talking about racing. This is the new racer section, where new racers or new to WERA racers come to get information, etc.

It has nothing to do with being "elite" or snobby or unsupportive. Hell, i do tons of track days myself and when i want to talk about track days, i go to the track day forums. When i want to talk about weightlifting/bodybuilding, i go to those forums. You get the point.

2. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I think its total bullshit there are threads on this forum that go 30+ pages of people being complete idiots and assholes, but somebody cant answer a new riders question in one post because it said trackday in the post.

Here's some advice for you new guys. When you ask a question, just ask it as if you were going to race and dont even mention the trackday. Odds are you'll get the same answer either way without any of the bullshit.

3. KillaR6

KillaR6 I'm Going to be a DAD!

Here's the deal new guy.
    Get in touch with your trackday organizer.e.g. Tpm, motorcyclexcitement, or whatever it is. Their websites contains forums especially catered for new trackday riders. Good luck...

4. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Pretty much yes.

For bodywork, particularly where cost is more of an issue, look at Hotbodies. Always like to point someone towards a company that supports the sport.

Good luck

5. Snipes20

Snipes20 Active Member

I have only been to trackdays and will be racing this year. People come here to ask questions to people that they think know more then others that only go to track days.

They are treating you with respect by asking you questions. Being a dick (and chaotic Im not saying your a dick cause you have helped me but you basically just told the guy to get off the site) shows that most racers don't know that much more then just a track day rider.

If someone asks something about trackdays I will always be more than willing to help

6. mineshaved

mineshaved product of my enviroment

I have been reading these raceday breakdowns. On average a guy is spending 1k per race weekend. I dont spend that for a trackday weekend. Im assuming I get more track time at a trackday. Im going to try racing this year for the first time. I hope it opens my eyes and I can understand what it is everyone on here loves to do!

7. NevadaGSXR750

NevadaGSXR750 Well-Known Member

For "Mtuned",

How is the search coming along in the classifieds section?

You didn't mention how you're getting to the track. Just wondering if you got the trailer or tow vehicle setup? Proper tie downs, a good ramp, and an extra body to help out???

Or are you riding your bike to the track (not really the best idea.....)

8. mtuned

mtuned Well-Known Member

I'm sorry i caused so much drama here. That was not my intention at all.

As far as this not being the correct forum for asking, i did not come here asking how to lift weights, i came to talk about RACING my sportbike, If i'm going around the track with others whom are all going for 1st place or going around learning lines and getting into the sport i believe the same principles apply.

If you did road racing in your car, and happen to be at the bar and seen Jeff Gordon, are you not going to chat with him? ....

My point being is i'm looking up to you guys who have been doing this, and racing on a regular basis whom can steer me in the right direction as you have been in this sport for years. You have been to track days and learned what worked to get you to where you are now.

I came here to get some PRO help in guiding me to using my sportbike as its intendded. I can understand it if i came in here asking how to wheelie my 600, or saying i need more power to keep up with the other guys.

I would like to say thank you very much to those whom have PM'ed me, answered my questions and been helpful!

Looks like alpine stars has great gear for me for decent pricing. Here is what im looking at picking up so far!

Alpinestars S-MX Plus Racing Boots
    Alpinestars CR One-Piece Leather Suit
    Alpinestars GP Plus Gloves

Im still doing some research on the rest, but appears for money these items will be great starters!

Can anyone rec a vendor whom works supports the wera racing community? I would like to do buisness with someone whom gives back to the scene.

Thanks

9. mtuned

mtuned Well-Known Member

Problem is im 5'10 and 165 so I am smaller then most guys here, and alot of the items seem to be wrong sizes. I wear a 9 - 9.5 In my motorcross boots. And i was really trying to stick with blue/white theme.

I just picked up a enclosed trailer in order to get into the sport, Now comes the fun part of setting up the tie down hooks, and getting it set up for the bike. Im very serious about this as living in florida and street riding has gotten just a little to crazy!

I just recently sold all my street gear to have some more money to invest in track gear. So all i have left was just the rf1100.

Thanks though, those are always things you forget till you get to the track scratching your head on how to unload your bike off the truck:p

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay, all of you arguing about the thread, shut up. If I don't want a thread here I have the ability to nuke it. I don't need you to run your mouths telling everyone how I want the place run and the assorted bullshit responses that go along with it. If you don't just answer questions in this forum I will be banning you and it won't be short.

11. konaunit1

konaunit1 Studdering thread killer

So I can't give you pro advice because I am a bit of newb on the racer side. I am novicing this year bit I can tell you that trackdays for me have been a gateway drug. As for setting up the enclosed trailer I used somthing called an E-clip just google it. It bolts to the floor and you can move clips to any point along the channel you want works really well.
    I know after I did some track days street riding just absolutly bored me to death. Try sportbiketrackgear.com they seem to have a decent selection of stuff I also bought a trackskinz 1 piece suit from trackskinz and has held up good so far (no big off as of yet knock on wood). You will enjoy track riding like anything take it easy at first nobody wins a trackday! Before to long you will asking about racing as I am.
    :beer:
    Rich

12. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

E track

13. You probably do and just don't realize it. Most people see the "$1k per weekend" and think that means paying for the entry fees, it doesnt.

The $1k is all inclusive.

How much are the entry fees at the track you normally ride? Most of them average between $150-$200 per day. So you spend at least $300-$400 right there. I just registered for the VIR races and the entry fees were $270 (that gets me the Solo race on Saturday, 3 Sprint races on Sunday and 2 practice sessions Sat. and Sun).

You have to buy gas for your TD's, right? You will do the same racing, so that is a wash.
    Do you camp or stay in a hotel at track days? You will do the same at races, so that is a wash.
    Whatever vehicle you drive to track days will also be used for races, so that is a wash.
    You will likely use more fuel at track days, so races are likely cheaper in that aspect.
    Whatever tires you have to buy for a TD weekend, you will have to buy for a race weekend, so that is a wash.

What you personally spend at a TD weekend is all relative to how expensive you make it. Some people get away with $500...some spend up to $2000. The point is that whatever you normally spend at a TD weekend will also be spent at a race weekend.

If you are already doing TD's, racing is no more expensive. That is a fact. Like i said, i do both TD's and races all year.

EVERYTHING you do and pay for related to a racing weekend is the same as what you pay for when doing a TD weekend. You are going out of town with your bike and riding around the track in both scenarios. That in itself has certain costs that go along with it and they do not change just because the event is a timed competition or not.

SHOEI doesn't charge more for a helmet that will be used for racing. You can't get Shell to sell you cheaper gas because it is only used for TD's.

The only difference is that track days require you to pay per day and at race weekends you pay per race. Depending on how many races you do, the race weekends could be cheaper.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  14. konaunit1

konaunit1 Studdering thread killer

Yup Thats what I meant
    :D

15. grapesmuggler27

grapesmuggler27 Well-Known Member

So for a straight newbie like myself which on would get me more seat time, doing a trackday weekend or doing a race weekend?

16. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

and you don't consider trackdays as "training" or "preparation" for racing?

If this were a site about running marathons (that's a race), you wouldn't flame someone for asking about getting started jogging (training). It's the functional equivalent.

The OP came here presumably because he views racers as "experts" on the subject of track riding. I think a LITTLE slack is appropriate. It's not like he asked for wheelie advice...

17. Of course it is...but yet you continue to miss the point that this is a road racing website and there are other websites to talk about track days; the OP made no mention of wanting to race, prepping to race, training to race or anything else. Mongo has made his stance clear on this subject many times in other threads.

Fuck it, im not going to argue about it anymore. Talk about whatever you want.

18. It depends on how many races you do. There are people like Jim Sehringer who might do 10-11 races in 1 weekend.

But as far as just plain, regular seat time, there is more seat time at track days. I have never seen anybody argue that fact. But there is more to getting faster/better than just random seat time. Not to mention the sheer enjoyment, competition and rewarding feelings that come along with running well in a race and taking that checkered flag.

There are many "straight newbie's" that come straight into racing. Is it a good idea? That is something that has been debated over and over. You can do a search to see where people stand on that subject. But is it possible? Absolutely...it is done more than people realize.

19. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I did (1) trackday in '94, and started racing immediately.

20. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

I went the path of street riding to track days and this summer Ill be racing this is nothing more than my oppinion on things though and i look at things with regard to limiting my expenses to things that I need and will bring true benefit

my advice would be to focus your efforts on buying quality protective gear first and foremost
    secondly make sure our brake pads are in good condition and the fuild has been bled somewhat recently, im assuming your timres are in good condition as well

go do your first track day and take your time, theres no prize at the end except taking it home just as you brought it,

while youre there talk to the staff/roder coaches/control riders whatever they call them
    have someone help you set the baseline sag as closely as possible depending on your weight this may not be possible

if you find that the track thing is for you go forward with the steel front brake lines and a suspension setup, a new shock while nice is not mandatory