Fifth Wheel Wiring

Discussion in 'General' started by tdelegram, Jan 31, 2020.

1. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Beeb,

My 20,000 pound fifth wheel toy hauler has a broken wire in pigtail that is giving me an intermittent fault on both the turn signals and trailer brakes. I picked up a new pig tail but was wondering what to use to connect the wires, ie wire nuts or something similar? Current pig tail has very heavy crimped joints that I haven’t seen before, large size and heavy weight. What do you all recommend?

thanks

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Solder and shrink tube.

3. tdelegram

They are single strand on the trailer side, I don’t think solder is an option.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Not a solution, but there's your problem.

tony 340 and Phl218 like this.
  5. tdelegram

It’s actually just the ground and 12 volt power. I know the pig tail is bad I accidentally disconnected and forgot to unplug pulling the pig tail out driving forward

6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

They used solid wire to wire a trailer? WTF?

If the wiring is solid, I would mount a PVC box to the trailer frame and splice the wiring with a terminal block.

zertrider and Phl218 like this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

go wireless

or introduce stranded for flexible portion , inside corrugated tubing. either crimped or soldered into old harness.

8. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

How old is the trailer? That i believe is a violation of building standards for the RVIA.

9. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I highly doubt it is solid. Kinda defeats the purpose of being flexible.

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

DC/vehicle wiring likes braided/stranded wire.

The current travels down the center if I remember correctly.

11. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I know that this isn't much help, as far as finding one, but there is at least one company that makes a color coded terminal block for just this purpose.....the wiring for the 7 pin connector, which will connect the pigtail to the matching trailer wiring. Sorry, I know it exists, I just don't know the name of the company that makes it or where to find it. Maybe a google search can help........because I know that I have done much to help you.

12. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Etrailer is the go to place.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

13. tdelegram

To be clearer, I am replacing the pig tail which is completely stranded and ties into the trailer at a junction box where the trailer side ground and 12 volt power are non stranded, the brakes, lights, and signals on the trailer side are stranded as well. If I am not mistaken the 12 volt power and ground on the trailer side go up the 5th wheel tongue and terminate just inside the trailer infer the overhang so there isn’t flexing of the wires. The trailer is a heartland 2019 so I doubt it’s not in spec.