Favorite front tire

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Rob P, Apr 13, 2015.

1. bidwell

bidwell Well-Known Member

Excellent info.

Is it safe to assume air pressure recommendations will the same as they've been?

2. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Yea he's suppose to come help me at Talladega the Friday before the race weekend April 25th. Nothing 100% but I begged him and will be fairly upset if I have to do rear shock swaps Saturday morning knowing I was there all day Friday.

I am committed to making this work on my bike I love the Michelin front tire always have, 15 years on nothing but michelins, got the best tire guy in the paddock slinging them now for me I just need a little better wear and way more traction off the apex and I'm unstoppable. ;) might surprise some folks along the way :D

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

the tire is incredible.. and it's not "instant" by any means. you just need to know that you can't run it forever. the biggest fear i had was the guys selling them as take-offs to track day guys, that expect to run em till cords show. that would simply not be possible with the ultimate rear. But seriously.. if you really wanna go a little faster, and are a front running expert that changes a rear every 3-4 sprints (as many do already) this tire WILL lower your lap time..

no worries Stick. i will likely catch hell for this, but i don't really care any more. the info needs to be out there. enough with the cloak and dagger shit.

4. MELK-MAN

evo .. yes. But i don't know what your recommendation has been. This has been an area of great debate. Some vendors will say one rear tire pressure, but faster riders, or some tracks, often demand a lower psi to start with than some will tell you. I have found, and many others too, that 25psi HOT OFF TRACK on the rear, is what has worked .. some vendors have told guys 23.5 COLD. Well that will result in 27-28psi on track (unless you are slow and it's cold outside) and the tire life suffers..

again. i will catch some shit for this.. but oh well.

THE ULTIMATE REAR, as i stated before, is another animal altogether, and is more finicky about setup, pressure, spring rate, etc. If you get it to work though, it WILL get you a faster lap time. I will likely be running the EVO front/rear most of the time though. i know they work right out of the box

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Roy, we'll get it sorted.

Greg, I'm wanting to get it out there also. People need this info.

There's one of those off brands trying to offer the same type of set up, but at a much higher price. We need to let people know so they can save their money for the better tires.

6. MELK-MAN

:up:

7. ped

ped Banned

you mean bridgestone? :Poke:

8. bidwell

bidwell Well-Known Member

25 psi hot but lately have been bumping that up to 26 and it seems to tear less/wear better. Fronts have always been good no matter what I do, 33-35 psi hot and it grips like glue and doesn't seem to wear.

TBH, 25 hot is not that far off Michelin's 22 cold recommendation. I'm not a big believer in hard and fast pressure recommendations anyway. They're made to get you in the ball park then its up to you to optimize for weather/track conditions.

Thanks again!

9. stickboy274

Dangit, no. There are two "name brands" I sell them. The others are off brand.

10. MELK-MAN

agreed, and that 22psi cold works for SOME racers.. and track day riders. But for the faster rider, screwing the throttle on early and loading the tire heavier mid corner.. they will see psi soar to 28+- if they start at that psi. Even in march (with 50-60F ambient) at a track like Roebling road.
    My issue was the fact that some vendors didn't know this, or refused to "go out of the box" and tell their faster customers to try this.. or simply had no idea that lower psi would keep the hot on track psi in this 25psi range.

26? that may work for ya, but I would also highly suggest you check your gauge against Stick's or a FEW other good ones to see where it's at. WHile at CMP this past weekend, i was helping 2 michelin riders. One was a fast AM racer, that just felt the front was skipping along .. not really a chatter though. I have NEVER experienced this except in mega grippy tracks in SOME corners with the slick at front expert pace. His gauge was reading FOUR POUNDS LOW ;). The guy that was behind me, that i convinced to get off the spec dunlop (first year expert) had a gauge reading almost the same but HIGH.. He was going out with 15 PSI COLD! LOL.. He had done this all the time with the dunlops, but likely didn't have as MUCh an issue with that much stiffer carcass tire, but the michelin is a much softer carcass tire that is very thin. he of course, felt like the tire was flat.. and came in after 2 laps..

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  11. MELK-MAN

even I knew what you meant by "off brand".. LOL ! :)

12. stickboy274

I keep my high end gauge in the trailer. I'll be glad to check anyone's gauge.

13. Ghamilton

Ghamilton Well-Known Member

Derek. How do I go about getting hold of you other than phone if I want order tires. I keep getting directed to Facebook when I try your .com.

Gordon Hamilton
    AHRMA 58R

14. MELK-MAN

he's a textin fool.. ! :)