1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fast car with adaptive cruise control?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hotfoot, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

Ok looking for a new ride. I have a long commute in Southern CA, often in stop and go traffic. I want a fast, fun, interesting car but I also need it reasonably quiet inside, not to harsh of a ride, and I REALLY want Stop and Go Adaptive Cruise Control. Problem is, I can't seem to find a really fast car with that feature - except Tesla, and I don't want electric at this point. Ideally looking for a low miles 1-2 year old car, small to mid-size coupe. BMW M cars don't have the adaptive cruise, can't find a C63 AMG with that feature, Maseratis don't have it, some Lexus RCF have it but the car has a lot of road noise plus it is on safety recall so they can't sell them, etc. I do want some sort of back seat so the Corvette is not an option. Audis seem to have it in some models but I haven't fallen in love with the looks of those cars. Trying to find a 4.5 sec or better 0-60 type car but comfortable - Nissan GTR, for example, is a little too raw for a daily driver.

Looking for suggestions - I'd like a small to midsize car, not a big sedan like a BMW 7 series or Maserati Quattroporte, and I'd like something with a bigger cool factor than a Nissan Maxima or Infiniti Q50 or Kia Stinger GT - although those DO all have the adaptive cruise! Acura TLX A-factor has it but doesn't seem quite fast enough and it's a bit big.

There has to be SOME fun performance car out there with this feature....?

2. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Tesla.

Sabre699 and Phl218 like this.
  3. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

4. Lavana

Lavana The coming

And here I thought that I'm impossible in what I want in a car....

I think you should forget a little about the fast and fun... and since you'll be stuck in traffic just get comfy.

5. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Is there such a thing? I always thought any cruise control stops functioning below 25-30 MPH.

6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Audi s7

Your welcome

mike-guy, rafa, BigBird and 1 other person like this.
  7. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

M cars say to drive them.

BigBird likes this.
  8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

9. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

My dad has a 4 series Bimmer. Don't know if that meets the fast part of the equation, there's always the M, but it does have adaptive cruise control. When he got it we went for a ride and it will come to a complete stop and resume without touching the gas or brake...pucker factor was off the charts when he tried it the first time.

Edit...well with a little more reading comprehension I see it's not available on the M cars. You can order a 4 with the M suspension and a few other bits then just juice up the turbos yourself. You might be able to get to that 4.5 0-60 and even be able to stay in factory warranty if that's a thing for you but it will cost cubic dollars, read BMW parts, although based on your other choices that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    BigBird likes this.
  10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What prompts it to do that? Stopped traffic ahead?

11. GixxerJohn011

Yep. He set it at about 50 then got behind a car going maybe 40. It matched the other car's speed, you can even adjust how close you want to follow. As we approached a stop sign it slowed with the other car all the way to a complete stop. There was nobody else around so he let it roll the stop sign as it accelerated with the other car, still no input, then as soon as he changed lanes and there was nobody in front of us it got back to 50 in a hurry. It's pretty damn cool but not at all what it was designed for.

12. Team G

Team G Wake me when its over

Yup, A7 or S7.

track wagon and Phl218 like this.
  13. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

14. GixxerJohn011

Okay I'm pretty surprised, Car and Driver claims 4.4 0-60. Seems quick for 320 HP but it could be in the ballpark...now does it meet the cool factor?

Do you know the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?

The prick is on the inside of the BMW

dtalbott likes this.
  15. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

We have adaptive cruise on another vehicle we own and it is awesome in traffic. The Mercedes C63 AMG has it as an option plus it has lane assistance, I think I could nap while it drives. :)

What do y'all think of the Lexus RCF?

16. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Yes, many of the newer cars will do stop and go traffic Tesla is probably the one that gets the most attention.

17. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Curious as to why the Tesla doesn't fit especially since you're in SoCal. If you go the new route you can get $11,000 off the price with all the tax credits and my referal. There's also credits and rebates to get charging installed in your home. If you go the used/CPO route you can get 5.1 0-60 with autopilot for just under $50K with a 4year 50K bumper to bumper warranty. If you want to go sub 3 seconds a used P85DL will be around 65-$70K. A year old P100DL will run around $100K and get you to 60 in 2.2 seconds while still giving you just over 300 miles of highway range.

18. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

19. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

I know you said car, but Jeep SRT or Hellcat would meet the 0-60 and be hella utilitus.

20. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Why not RS7?

rafa and BigBird like this.