1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F150 gurus/owners

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ZxMoke, Jul 15, 2011.

1. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

Need help on a 2004 f-150 fx4

I am not sure if this is a common problem with the F150 or not but my trucks check engine light came on and the truck started shaking when it is Idling. When my mechanic pulled the codes it threw code T0012. Had to local mechanic check it and he said it was a bad VCT solenoid. I changed that and the truck is not shaking as bad but it still has the same code and shakes a little. Any info on this? has anyone had the same problem?

2. delacampos

delacampos Well-Known Member

does it idle up and down as well?

3. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

That code refers to the variable camshaft timing function.
    It means the cam is retarded but the exact cause cause must be diagnosed.
    It can be the sensor, the solenoid, blocked oil passage etc...

4. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

no it does not idle up and down

5. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

so i should take it to the stealer? lol

6. Tunersricebowl

Go to the IATN website and use the subscriber shop locator to see which independent shops in your area are IATN members.
    That will be a much better starting place than just cold calling repair shops.
    The dealer is not a terrible idea if you can't find an independent shop that's got some training and proper diagnostic gear, at least they will aleady know what's wrong without having to spend hours investigating the problem.
    There's even a chance of a "campaign" or recall for your problem that the dealer would tell you about which an independent may or may not even know of.
    If you can't stomach the dealer look for an IATN affiliated independent, membership allows acess to an extensive database of known or pattern failures.

7. easton24

easton24 Active Member

Check your dealer and see if you have any outstanding recalls. You might get lucky.

8. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

which motor, how many miles? Any other codes?

9. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delayed response. I changed the cam positioning sensor and no luck. It has something to do with the cams. I guess I will just have to take it to the dealer to have them see what’s wrong with it :down: , and the code is P0012.

and it is a 5.4 V8 with 100k miles

10. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

I've had good luck doing searches on Ford Forums for stuff like that.

11. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

try f150online

I used that website when I had my f150. great info

12. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

I have tried but no ones really gives a set answer. It seems like a common problem on the 2004, and from the forums its Camshaft Position - Timing over-retarded. But i do not find where someone says i changed "so and so" and it fixed it.

13. Tunersricebowl

Possible defects are pretty straightforward, fixes not so much...
    Position solenoid/actuator and/or oil pressure/flow to actuator...

14. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

I changed the solenoid so thats not it. I did more research and it seems like its a spring that controls the timing of the cams. If that is the case I will need a tube a vaselin before i go to the dealer :wow:

I think they said the part is about $200 and labor was like 8 hours

15. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed New Member

Hey ,Tuner and others , can this be locked out in the ecm with an appropriate scanner ?
    I could look for hours ,but thought you might know.
    Luck,Ed