Evol tech tangent clipons

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Trandyd, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Trandyd

Trandyd Well-Known Member

Thinking about trying a set of these clipons. I like the design but not sold on them yet Anyone have any experience with these. Looking for feedback. Thanks

2. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

I love them on my R6. everything fits so much easier than with woodcraft/vortex and they work great.

3. I had a set on my R6. One 40ish mph lowside and the threaded boss on the clamp was bent rendering it unusable. After that I got the attack performance zero offset clipons. They have the bars in the same position as the evol tech, but with a much simpler/better design IMO. Since I have had those I have replaced 3 bars and the clamps are still perfectly fine, so I would definitely recommend them. Replacement bars are also about half the price of the evols. As far as ergonomics are concerned, I'm a smaller guy (5'7") and I love having a shorter reach to the bars.

bacolmm likes this.
  4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

In general, I would say that just about everything else I've seen e/t make is very nice and well thought out, but I think those clip ons missed the mark. Even if the threaded boss doesn't bend, you're left with a broken tube you have to unthread from the boss and the machined relief where you could put a tool on the tube is broken off. So you have to grab it with pliers, which squeezes the tube over the threaded part, which isn't ideal. Other zero offset clip ons, like the Attack ones, do it better and simpler. Even putting the machined relief over the threaded bit would be a big improvement. The whole point of clip ons is to be able to quickly and simply replace a tube. Any design that gets in the way of that needs more work.

bacolmm and PPPope like this.
  5. Trandyd

Trandyd Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was looking for. The design intrigued me. But seems to have some faults as stated. Think I will go With the attacks as they were my next choice.
    Thanks for the quick responses. :beer:

bacolmm likes this.
  6. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I have the Attack ones too, being able to use non-proprietary bars was the big draw for me.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  7. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Another vote for Attack. I'm short, and the tangent design made a significant difference for me ergonomically.

8. Suzuka_joe

dang I can use $12 vortex bars? I might have to sell my evoltech and my spares to switch it up to Attack

9. Chako

Chako Well-Known Member

bro just use the stock yamaha bars and clamps they are a dime a dozen

10. Suzuka_joe

they break and its not nearly as quick to swap a whole clipon as a bar

11. metricdevilmoto

Bro, and on the R6/R1, the OEM clip ons are very likely to bend the very thin walls of the outer tubes if you fall down, bro. Those tubes are a little more than a bro, er, dime a dozen, bro. The weak point should be the very cheap bar, not the very expensive fork tube, bro.

12. metricdevilmoto

The BMW OEM clip ons are also way stronger than the Sachs tubes are.

I see a fair amount of (bent) forks and a lot of them can be attributed to clip ons that didn't just break like they should.

13. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Well that was Bro-mantic!

14. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

This. Bruh, I havent seen you in this rare of form in a while!

15. metricdevilmoto

Just spent four days at the track. My tolerance for opinions and facts being used interchangeably is admittedly low.

Ducti89 likes this.
  16. Atahan Koymen

Atahan Koymen Well-Known Member

Attack zero offset for me as well. Till them I was extremely uncomfortable on the 15Zx6r.

17. Tyson10R

Tyson10R Well-Known Member

So are these zero offset clip-ons typically ideal for shorter people? Any taller people running them? Or would that just make me feel more crammed on the bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Depends how your bike was designed and how you're shaped, there's no universal answer.

If the factory bars are "zero offset", going to regular clipons might stretch you out.

19. Suzuka_joe

its a feel thing, i've seen tall guys and short guys run them. I personally love them but im 5'6

20. SeventeenRR

SeventeenRR Well-Known Member

I just bought a set of the evol clip ons about a month ago from SBU, and it looks like they’ve changed designs. It’s now a bolt in the bar that screws into the clamp. You’ll need a long ass Allen key to install, but it seems like that would be more crash worthy than the threaded bar style.