Every Racer Should Do This!!! Please Read

Discussion in 'General' started by LVDJC, Apr 22, 2008.

1. LVDJC

LVDJC Well-Known Member

Hi Guys and Gals,

I recently learned of something each and every racer in this and every organization should do. It's putting and ICE entry in your cell phones. I heard from my cousin and confirmed it with a friend of mine who is a paramedic that when you get hurt the paramedics will look in your cell phone for and entry named ICE which stands for "IN CASE of Emergency" which should be your emergency contact person. If you have to go to a track weekend or a race weekend alone, which is of course never reccomended, and you get knocked out or seriously hurt the paramedics or doctors will have a much easier time reaching your emergency contact person if you have this system in place. You might even put the entry as follows ICE...JOE. Hopefully nobody will be needing this but you can never be too carefull. Good luck to all this season!!! Dave C Vegas #61 :beer:

2. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

great idea.. so this is something paramedics and doctors generally look for in a cell?

thanks

3. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I would they'd be looking for "Home" or "Mom and Dad".

4. bkkruser

bkkruser Well-Known Member

nothing i have ever looked for but thanks for the heads up and another sourse of info i had over looked.it real nice to know your name,what your allergic to,any meds your on and any medical conditions. a piece of paper in a wallet or with a friend would do.We can generally figure out who you are.most john does are that for less than 24 hrs.

5. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

6. kevinr

kevinr Well-Known Member

All the new verizon phones mark the cell numbers in RED that are your emergency numbers. At the top of your contact list there is "In Case Of Emergency" in red.

7. VTR1000SP2

VTR1000SP2 under construction

guess you're SOL if you've got a password on your cell like me..

8. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

On the WERA membership forms, there is a space to put your emergency contact info and medical info. WERA has that form/info at the track in case. The times I crashed, my mother was usually corner marshaling, and most of the WERA staff knew who to contact otherwise.

to quote Ed Bargy "WERA is like a family, disfunctional, but still a family" ;)

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah for racing we won't be going into your cell. However - make absolutely sure you put a real emergency contact! Do no put your GF down if you're hurt bad and we really need to contact your wife for example (had it happen). Or put down your traveling racer buddy when he doesn't know your parents numbers. We need to know who to contact if you're hurt bad enough to not be able to tell us - not who to tell to pick up your bike at tech or the like.

10. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

Write your ICE # on the back of your insurance card in sharpie marker, then make sure the ins. card is the first thing behind your D/L...Paramedics do something called a wallet biopsy...When looking for ins. card and contacts, it helps matters if it's all in the same place....

11. paistes5

paistes5 Well-Known Member

Hey Mongo, do I have to safety wire my phone to the bike now? :D

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

13. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Mine doesn't.

14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

My ICE # an all My forms is 911:D

15. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

I do use the ICE system in my phone and so does my husband and daughter. However, WERA is really on the ball notifying next of kin in case of emergency. When Leo crashed at Road Atlanta, I hadn't even got my camera gear in the car when Mr. Mic was calling me to the med center. Now that was fast!

16. rcrgirl84

rcrgirl84 Danger Kitty!!

There is also stickers you can buy to put on the inside or on the back of your helmet with all of your info - blood type, allergies, etc.

17. I was going to post this. I have been using this for a few years.

18. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

Interestingly enough, when I first started racing, and would practice without the wife or a friend, I would always tape a note to the back of my trailer with instructions and medical card, etc.

I would often times go to the track with my dog & kids (around 10 years old). They were old enough to hang out in the paddock for 20 mins while I was out there, but if something happened, I wanted people to know their names, etc.

19. LVDJC

LVDJC Well-Known Member

This is something everybody should do, not just at the track. I just brought it up here to get the word out it is a good idea for us, family, friends, etc. :up:

20. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

If im dying at the race track or on the side of the road, dont call my parents, call a priest... cuz ive got some explaing to do... so ICE please call local catholic parish.

then call my mom and dad, who are cleverly disguised in my phone as "mom" and the other as "dad" or u could just call "office" or "home" or whoever was my last incomming call...