1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine care question?

Discussion in 'General' started by McGixxer, Apr 30, 2013.

1. McGixxer

McGixxer Well-Known Member

Is there a type of fuel I can or should run through my bike after a race to burn out the race fuel? I heard someone makes something like this but can't remember the brand or product name.

Any other good practices after a race for engine care? (Other than regular oil changes & filters)

2. Chip

Chip Registered

In a perfect world...ethanol free pump gas....but at the end of the day, pump gas is fine.

Pull the race fuel out with a syphon.

Run the engine until it cuts off.

Pour in a half gallon of pump fuel and run for a few minutes.

The important part is get the race fuel out of the tiny bits like fuel pumps and injectors, not just the tank.

3. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Aren't you going to eventually burn up your fuel pump like that (running it dry) with no fuel to cool the pump down if you do that repeatedly?

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The Denso fuel pumps are fragile and prone to failure already. A good siphon will get 99% of the fuel out, and the engine will use the residual fuel in the pump in just a few minutes. You can usually smell when it starts burning the pump gas. One additional note: you still have race fuel in your upper injectors and fuel rail (if you have secondary injection) if it only idles on the pump fuel.

5. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I run a little bit of ATF oil into my tank afterwards....

You have to sit there and run the bike FOREVER to get pump gas through the pump, lines and injectors....

Do NOT miX IN A TON OR YOU WILL BE THE MOSQUITO MAN.

This is just enough to keep the pump lubed up and injectors and valves from sticking.

I don't personally like running my tank that low as the pump stays cool from the gas surrounding it.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yup, I found this out when I was dismantling my injectors to send to Greg. The upper fuel rail was still full of gas.

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

+1
    you will be amazed at how long it takes for the race fuel to get out of the fuel line, and the fuel rail when a bike is just at idle. and i hate having my r6 idle.. (we all all know the potential issues the r6 low end can have ).
    Kevin at KWS actually gave me a good idea, that was so obvious i felt silly not thinking of it earlier when we were discussing injector "maintenance". Disconnect the fuel LINE and allow the fuel to run out of the upper fuel rail and turn the fuel line upside down to get it out. NOW, the LOWER fuel rail at least on an r6, takes a bit of coaxing to get the fuel out. it won't just run out on it's own, so with my rubber glove i tap the end of the connection repeatedly, it kind of sucks it out then it will flow. The upper rail drains easily as the connection is well below the fuel rail level.

He suggested fogging the motor every time, especially when using mr12. That stuff leaves a crud in the exhaust ports and valves you can not believe. I haven't gone that far, but i do pour in some non-ethanol if it's gonna sit a month, if i can get it. Some fresh (i hope) premium e10 gas with a little stabil or seafoam if i don't have non-ethanol on hand, then run the bike blipping a bit, every week or so.

a quick disconnect fitting, with a hose to a bung welded to the bottom of the tank is very nice if you are gonna have the bike awhile. if positioned at the bottom of the tank right, the bike will only run for 20-30 seconds before it dies. ONce I found this out, we don't even run it after draining (to save the fuel pump as RM noted).. i drain, then pour in the pump gas. I run it awhile, then when i get home, i disconnect the fuel lines, let the fuel rails drain, then run some more so i know the race fuel is out of the injectors. The uppers may still have some in there, as they don't fire, but it's kind of out of sight.. out of mind :)

siphoning the fuel out is good.. a quick disconnect on a bung welded to the tank is "great" :)
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

here is a pic showing the hard powdery CRUD that forms on in the exhaust ports/valves (top valve openings in the photo) when using mr12, and leaving it sit for a few weeks without any pump gas chasing after a race. It likely sat for 2 weeks, then pulled the head. You could scrape the crud off and you can see it collecting like rust on the shop rag. Intakes on the other hand, always look spotless (bottom valves openings in photo) regardless if you chase it or don't. BUT, if you don't run pump gas afterward, in time the mr12 will harden. i have a set of spare throttle bodies that after a year, i couldn't even open the butterflys. You could see a brownish color coating on things, it hardened like syrup spilled on a plate would if left for a few months.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  8. McGixxer

McGixxer Well-Known Member

Okay, cool.

But no one actually makes a product, like VP or someone to help flush/burn everything out?

9. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

What are these "injectors" you speak of?????? :confused:

Some sort of Voodoo??? :eek:

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

yes.. Shell, BP, Chevron, Exxon.. etc. They even sell it on many street corners. Comes in many flavors of octane too. 87, 89, 93.. :)

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yet more reason to not run race gas....

12. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Ok, I'm gonna ask a stupid question. Please forgive me, I really am trying to keep up....

Can't you just syphon out as much as possible, put some non ethanol pump gas in it (or other pump gas with seafoam), and run it around the neighborhood/block a few times (I understand these bikes are non street legal race bikes)?

I'm just asking. I'd really like to know.:beer:

13. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

This does seem like a whole lot of effort for a small percentage of gain...

14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

This from a guy who runs a racing organization, where guys who purchase race gas from sponsors/vendors and get bikes tuned for race gas participate. Thanks.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The few vendors making money is less my concern than my customers wasting money on something they don't need and money they could spend with me on more track time that would actually make them faster. Not running race fuel helps my customers and helps my business, seems like a win win for WERA.

So yeah, sorry if helping you sell something that I think hurts the sport way more than it helps isn't high on my list of priorities.

Pretty funny too that you're bitching about it when the same bikes need tuning to run a pipe and pump gas. All of the race fuel vendors have been saying for years they don't make money off of it, so have they all been lying to me?

17. Robby-Bobby

Shannon, I didn't think you even ran race gas......

For a first year expert trying to save money, its pointless IMO.

Work on your riding. You aren't close to needing race gas in a Vesrah built GSXR1000 yet:)

More throttle, less brake.

18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Not bitching, just pointing out that I think your oft-published and sometimes boorish opinion is flawed in this case, at least as it applies to my business. Have at it, bully me, I would expect nothing less. Have a good day.

19. Robby-Bobby

Both you and Mongo have points which I agree with as a business guy myself.

Both of you are biased and rightfully so.

In my case, I sell VP myself and run it in my bikes so I use it as a sales tool.

In Mongo's case, he is trying to justify racers saving money to race more weekends:)

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bully you?

You were bitching, at least be truthful with yourself when you post things.

So anyway, other than just generic complaints that I am wrong, please explain to me how my boorish opinion is flawed. Explain why I should have more concern over your business than mine.