1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enduro / Dirt Helmet Opinions - ?

Discussion in 'General' started by Motomeister13, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

I am shoping for a good quality Moto helmet for some woods rides, and a couple local Flat Track days.

The prices seem to go from 100 ish for junk, then skips right to 350 plus for Arai / Shoei - good stuff.

YES, I know what my head is worth, BUT, I can't try on an Arai, or Shoei here locally. Just rows or 99.00 specials at the local dealers.

Anyone wear the higher end helmets for any length of time? Whats the fit like? Similarities to Roadrace helmets?

What are your favorites, and why?

Thanks!

Rich

:)

2. myNAMEisMUDD

myNAMEisMUDD i like the sound of that

i've always found that the shoies fit like shoies, and the arais fit like arais. From my experience, the arai's padding is the best, its removable, soft, and has a felt type lining that feels oh so good on your cheeks. I've also had KBC's and HJC's that i was very happy with. For shoei and arai, i've worn the same size dirt and street helmet.

3. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

I like my AJC acx2. Much nicer than the lower end clx series.

Fits nice, held up well.

4. racer_11

racer_11 moto nyne guy

for roadrace and practice i will use arai.
    when i race an enduro or most any off road race i will use my arai mx3. i dig the removeable chin gaurd as i can lower it and open up the goggle port. feels nice and open.

i am really kind of a helmet whore cause i have a bunch of them. like imelda has shoes, i have helmets (i am of filipino descent!!)for most of my daily trail riding and practice on mx tracks, i just use fly or thor. any of the signature line stuff. im not finiky when it comes to fit.

whatever you get i would at least make sure it's snell and dot. not just dot.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've got a 6 year old VX Pro3 (Maybe is was MXPro at the time) and love it, bought an XD last year to try it out, so far it's been fantastic although I don't use it with the shield, I took it off and use goggles but like the option if I run the DRZ in a dual sport ride where I'd be going back and forth street to dirt. Same sizing as my RX7RR stuff.

6. racer_11

racer_11 moto nyne guy

i was checkin' out the xd to use for the same thing when i ride my drz around. yeah, i think it was the mxpro back in the day. dude your old as da hills cause i remember when it was called an mxpro...i think i still have one from when i was a kid...i mean i just found it.:D

rich, you just missed this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200095102638&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

ha! ha!

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Punk ass kids :p

8. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Mines been doing quite well too. You can find some pretty good deals for them too. Closer to $100 than $350.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Bell still makes a wicked awesome dirt helmet. My Suomy is pretty kick ass also.

Tons of options out there. :)

10. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Check out the Troy Lee Designs lids..:up:

11. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Boo HiSSSS! I believe they are painted up KBCs, like a lot of the "name" helmets in the dirt world(Thor, Moose, MSR, O'Neal, etc)

12. Baldrick

Baldrick I blackflagged no. 808!

Dirt Helmets

I've got a high end Bell that I like a lot. It's comfortable once you get it on - a lot more comfortable than the HJC I had before this one. The HJC was a little lighter though, and went on a bit easier - the opening at the bottom you stick your head into is smaller on the Bell. The Bell's inner lining and cheek pads are replaceable, and it comes with a nice carry bag and some extra replacement parts.

If it means anything, I wear an Arai on the street, and it fits well and is comfortable, so maybe a Bell is good for an Arai-shaped head.

Try newenough.com and follow the link for offroad gear. They often have good deals on offroad helmets, and you can send it back if it doesn't fit.

13. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

I am fond of the Arai RR helmets after bouncing my head off the asphalt more than once in them, but couldn't just spend the 400 without getting one in my hands first.

My local dealer is ordering in an AC X3 Agent for me to check out. He's agreed to extend my parts discount to gear, and will throw it on the shelf if I don't like it. So I at least have to check this one out.

If I actually grid up on a DTX race this summer, I think I may just wear the Arai helmet I RR in. Maybe.

Anyway, Thanks guys! :up:

Mongo, just curious, why dont you use the integrated sheild in the Arai? That looks like one of the coolest parts of the helmet.

Rich

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Honestly, I need to try it more off road, just took it off when I got it and wear my goggles.

15. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Don't think so...look at the padding ect..not even close.
    I have one and the fit is WAY better than the brands you mentioned.:D

16. Scotty878

Scotty878 Active Member

When I dirtbiked I had an HJC that worked great. Was always comfortable, wasn't too heavy, and provided good protection. It was Snell and DOT approved. Good because it was cheap too!

17. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

I just cannot make myself spend the dough on an arai or shoei mx helmet. ESPECIALLY woods riding because they just get destroyed from limbs and such. I buy HJC and just plan on buying a new one every 2 years or every hard head lick. It would be different if i had an unlimited budget, but i have had some bad ones in the HJC and my head felt the same way as a shoei crash

18. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

I use an Arai RX7 road racing, and an Arai VX Pro for motocross. The fit is exactly the same in both, all I do is get a large and if fits perfectly on my Arai-shaped head. There are lots of $100 and $200 Korean helmets with Snell and DOT stickers for both street and dirt. I am old, I have been doing this more than 40 years, I can afford it, I like the Arais.

19. Filo

Filo Member

I went with the top end HJC after trying on a bunch of different brands. The Arais I tried didn't fit as well as my Arai roadrace helmet, but that helmet is now 6 years old (don't worry, I replaced it with a Shark 2 years ago). The HJC was the most comfortable for me, but it is like any other helmet - you gotta try it on for fit before you buy.

20. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Actually, they aren't. KBC makes a TON of helmets out there, but teh Troy Lee and the Fox V3s are made by an independant company that specializes in carbon fiber stuff with military helicopters. Nothing like a KBC.

Top list of top MX helmets: No particular rank/order:

1) Fox V3
    2) Troy Lee Designs top line. The speed equipment one is shit - no venting
    3) Shoei
    4) Thor/HJC carbon fiber lids. (they are the same)
    5) Arai. Not by any means the best anymore. Their interiors are still top notch, but they are well behind in terms of the lid itself...

Everything else hits in that $139 or so range or sucks. The above lids are all in that $350 plus range...