1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enclosed Trailer width question

Discussion in 'General' started by bsanorton, Jan 12, 2012.

1. atspeed

atspeed Praying Member

6x10 is fine for 2 bikes

I use Baxley chocks, staggered, for the non standard machines. Can haul 2 baggers with fairly easy access. Sportbikes are a breeze.

2. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

had 3 racebikes in my 6X12 once. Was rather snug. :)

3. bsanorton

bsanorton Well-Known Member

Can you guys post pics of your 6 X 10/12's open & loaded?

4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Same here. We used to do it all the time. But last year was only two, and the extra stuff (tools, canopy, flooring, etc) that has filled the gap, will now prevent us from ever having 3 in there again. We're back up to 3 bikes next year and I'm looking at getting a second trailer.

5. :stupid:

6. While we are on the subject, can you fit 3 bikes (R6, R1, 675) side-by-side-by-side in an 8' (or it might be 8.5') trailer?

Not staggered, i mean directly beside each other.

FWIW, if it is possible, there will be 3 trailer restraint systems. Im almost positive you can, but I would hate to make plans (and buy the trailer restraint systems) if you can't.

Im at work so I can't go measure anything.

7. JohnS

JohnS Well-Known Member

this is a 6x12 with 3' vnose.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mine isn't v-nose, it is square...and it is only 10' long. It is in the back of my Toy Hauler.

This isnt a good picture, but it is the only one i could find. But this is what im working with:

[​IMG]

(btw - that is just a ladder on the floor and it isnt there anymore :D)

I know I can get 2 bikes in side by side and have room for a big toolbox and stack of tires etc, im just not sure if i can get 3 bikes in there.

But it is 10' long. So I can sorta stagger them (so the bikes' clip-ons aren't exactly inline with each other) and that might do the trick. Maybe move the middle bike up a foot or so from the outside two.

9. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I put 2 side-by-side in a 5' wide enclosed, so 3 wide in an 8' sounds reasonable.

10. Sounds about right. IIRC I think end of clip-on to end of clip-on is somewhere between 2' and 2.5'.

But like i said, im at work and cant measure anything, but that number popped in my head for some reason.

11. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I just measured my '07 Daytona at 29" +/- 1". Keep in mind that you'll want some room to load them up and a little bit of room so some movement won't allow the bikes to rub together.

12. Thanks for measuring that, it helps alot.

This is the layout of my TH and it says the exterior width is 100", which comes out to almost 8'4" So taking the walls out of that, I have to assume the garage has 8' of usable space.

[​IMG]

ASSuming mine is the same as yours, 29" x 3 bikes = 87"/12 = 7'3"

8'4" - 7'3" = 13"/4 = a little over 3" of space between each bike, and each bike and the wall.

Yes, I am that bored. :D

With the trailer restraint systems, they move side to side very little...as in almost none.

If i move the middle bike up 8-12", that will give each bike much more room on each side.

13. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

:up: I forget how I measured for our 6x12, but I think it was something like dividing the available trailer width into three equal sections, also in quarters, and then figuring the average between the two measurments and mounting the STS and Pit Bull TRS somewhere really close to the point where the marks met.

Ultimately, we ended up using those marks as a starting point and actually mocked up the bikes and restraints before mounting them. We have less room between the bikes and the wall than we do the bikes themselves which IMO, is ideal. You'll rarely need to get around the outside of the bikes in the trailer, however, being able to fit in between them is nice.

I have found that the front end will move slightly on the steering axis while trailering with both the STS and the Pit Bull TRS, but not enough to touch anything. If we mounted the bikes really close together that may be different though.

I'll be loading up for Jennings sometime in early February and I'll try to remember to snap a few pics of the trailer loaded up to re-visit this thread with.

I'm also fairly certain that if we wanted three bikes in the trailer we could mount one facing forward in the middle and mount the existing two facing reaward on an angle, (think "V") with the rear of the bikes closer to the walls and make it happen comfortably. Of course I'd need a bigger truck than my 4runner to tow it then.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  14. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

Carried two bikes side by side in a 6x10 for years. I put the bikes toward the rear of the trailer and stored gear in the front. Make sure it has a side door as that really makes loading and unloading a lot easier.

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

A 6x14 will haul 2 side by side and 2 deep easily.
    +1 on the Pitbull TRS :up: The best method of transporting a bike I've seen.

16. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

Tell me what you think of the pic below. This was taken right from Baxley's website. I've got a 6x10 with cabinets and a work bench up front. Right now I have to bolt in and un bolt a cheapo HF chock to be able to open the cabinet doors. Not a big deal, but I was wondering how well a Baxley would work if I just positioned it up against the cabinets and strapped down as normal. I assume everything would work fine. Plus I'd have a chock for right when I come in off track.

[​IMG]

17. Jason748

Jason748 Race Junkie

If they don't they can (and will) custom make pins as well :up: just shoot them an e-mail

I've gotten 3 bikes side-by side in my 8' wide, W/ pitbull restraints, but it was 2 sport bikes & motard. If I remember correctly the 2 outer were forward facing and the middle was rearward facing and I think there was enough room to do another sportbike this way...

18. Ahh, didnt think about turning them opposite directions. Good call :up:

19. jmaher

jmaher Well-Known Member

I have found that two bikes depends on the bikes. I am about to sell my nice 6x12 since while it will fit 2 race bikes, generator and all my race stuff, my Indian Roadmaster and gf's Fatboy with bags and stuff will not fit even staggered.

Joe

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Im at the mercy of a friends trailer... 6x12 flat front gets 3 full sized sportbikes (2 forward and 1 rear facing) If you can hang things like tires, stands, chairs, tables, etc... you will have gained some precious floor space. V noses add some storage space as well.