1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics in DSB

Discussion in 'General' started by LukeLucky, Oct 3, 2013.

1. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

So rumor is some people saying electronics in DSB is going to be limited next year (or the year after with an announcement before to prepare).

Good idea / Bad idea?

How will that affect Supersport with very little rules separating them technically? Brakes and what else?

Curious what the beeb has to say.

2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

They have been limited for the last few years...

They just allowed teams to cheat because they were willing to sell the shit for less than they gave for them...

Purchased from the manufacturer the stuff cost more than the maximum allowed.

In My opinion rules should be based solely on the physical properties of the machine. The only way to really limit the electronics is to limit their inputs and outputs. If they don't have control of the throttle that takes a large chunk of functionality away from them.

It would be a very good thing if Al would do something to limit the functionality of the electronics.

3. Chip

Chip Registered

Yes. Good idea. MM ECU's in DSB is dumb.

Who cares how it effects SS. Its a club race at a pro race and exists solely to boost revenue at AMA rounds.

How have they been limited?

How are you going to limit the inputs and outputs of the OEM ECU?

4. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

The new proposed limit will be good.

Supersport? Not sure that'll be around much longer.

5. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

If supersport goes away what might replace it? Two classes plus a harley show ain't gonna draw a whole lotta interest from fans I wouldn't think.

6. turner38

$7500 per machine total allowance was the previous limit.

If it were up to me, I would require all bikes throttles be opened via mechanical means only. No servo's allowed. Simple enough to do eliminates a shitload of the functionality.

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

There is talk of an entry level starter class. I'm guessing either 300's or 500's, but haven't heard anything. WSBK had a Ninja 250 class two years ago, KTM690 last year, and Honda 500 this year, as an entry level class.

I heard last year, when I was trying to figure out where to have Tyler start, that Harley class was signed up through 2014, so who knows after that. I don't think Harley even sells those bikes any longer, do they?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

So, if it were up to you, an R6 off the showroom floor would have to be downgraded?

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Twin shocks and carburetors too?

I don't think that is a step in the right direction. I think you will see DSB going to kit ECUs and SS allowing chassis mods like clamps and links - i.e. the same rules. Then SS will go away in the future. I would really like to see a Moto3 class replace it.

10. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Kinda what I was thinking. Aren't most sportbikes ride by wire now?

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That would be pretty cool, especially if they could be purchased for Moriwaki pricing, vs. the numbers I've heard. Other than my kid possibly being too big now, I really enjoyed when he raced gp chassis bikes. If they did it, a combined bike and rider weight would be cool, even USGPRU did that.

12. Chip

Chip Registered

So if I spend $7500 on an MM SRT ECU and then spend $50K in software that's limited?

Trying to convert modern motorcycles to 2001 would be kind of a pain in the butt. Maybe we could just make a rule that everybody had to race 2001 motorcycles.

13. turner38

It is the only way to eliminate the ECU from opening the throttle for the rider...

Kit ECU's will still allow the factory's that are willing to cheat a avenue to do so.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Some kind of Moto3 series similar to Redbull Rookie's cup or perhaps something like that CBR500 Eurpean Junior Cup series. Some crazy ass racing in those series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlr_mImRODk

15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Sorry, Danny, that's just the existing technology on production bikes now. No going back.

16. Chip

Chip Registered

Still an easy solution....Spec Kit ECU's. The AMA would need to buy (5) of each Manufactures kit boxes and randomly swap them out at each round.

17. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Not a preferred solution by those of us that tune the bikes. Mapping fuel and ignition is one way to gain an advantage. Take that away, I'm out. Even Moto2 allows a small amount of that.

It's a flawed idea. Tuners could easily reflash that ECU and have it do things it wasn't doing before, then devise a system to reflash it back to its old state for inspection.

18. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

I agree with a small displacement class... do away with Supersport

no age limit small displacement class but have some sort of rule that regulates weight so it is a somewhat level playing field

I honestly think there would be a lot of racers interested in a class like that....

"Cheaper" "pro level" racing

19. But you could still use your expertise and experience to map on top of the base map, right Rick? That would still be valuable (and not something most have a grasp of).

Are people reflashing at the racetrack in the other series with spec ECUs?

Sounds like fuel injection is the root of the problem. I vote for carbs. Twin shocks. Spokes. Let me go wake Montano up. We're getting the band back together!

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

ala the 675. :)