Edward Snowden and the NSA

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by HPPT, Dec 22, 2013.

?

Which of the following choices is closest to your thoughts about Edward Snowden?

1. Patriot - pardon him

61 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Traitor- prosecute him

25 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. Other favorable opinion

21 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Other unfavorable opinion

4 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Maybe all this talk of giving him an early death is the very reason he did it the way he did. Maybe he values his own life more than he values America. I know I do.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Our's, the russians, the chinese, the brits or some other government, some one will heart attack him.

Best he can hope for is to get out of Russia undetected and back to the US under a deal that keeps him in a supermax for the rest of his life. Dude is a dead man.

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Don't sell him short! He's survived longer than probably anyone else that crossed the NSA. He did it by putting himself in the spotlight not running. I can't see him dying of old age but I'll take the Over if the line is at 3 years.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If he starts talking about a deal to return to the US, I'd put him #5 on my dead pool.

5. kangasj

kangasj Banned

More like fuck the NSA. Snowden did what was right. He made the NSA abuses public information.

6. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Ya, the hell with the constitution....:rolleyes:

7. Joe Morris

That is just your anarchist point of view.

CW AF 03 and Cannoli, I tend toward the same line of thinking but look what happened to Thomas Drake. The "right way" failed him and cost him dearly. Every other whistleblower had to be thinking that was their fate also. The executive orders insulating the NSA from the Constitution simply didn't allow a practical channel for oversite either inter-agency or through the Inspector General. I think that climate assured that someone would leak classified information about those activities to the press. If it hadn't been Snowden it would've been someone else.

8. kangasj

kangasj Banned

And here's the WTF issue. The president takes an oath to uphold the constitution, not circumvent it....and please don't tell me it for our own protection or I'll have to put your nuts on an anvil and strike them with a sledge hammer... :)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  9. Joe Morris

The story is that this originated from Cheney's Chief Legal Counsel David Addington. You can see the players and thier contributions here.

10. kangasj

kangasj Banned

OK, so I see a list of assholes that don't believe in the constitution. Is that supposed to make me feel better about why it was happening?

11. Joe Morris

Nope. Just illustrating how few people it took to hijack us.

12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Gotta throw Wolfowitz in there. Just based on looks alone. He's got to be behind the curtain on anything sinister.

13. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Dude... I explained earlier. THEY is NBC and Brian Williams. THEY have copies of emails he sent. THEY have filed FOIA requests to verify other claims of his.

I really wish you guys would just go watch the interview so you arent talking out your asses, but I guess its nothing new with this bunch... :rolleyes:

You are 100% wrong. He was not running to Russia. He explained what happened in the interview. He was in Russia on a layover, transferring to another plane to go somewhere else (cant remember which country) when the US State Dept. issued a cancellation of his passport. Once that happened he could not travel anywhere....

I really wish you guys would just go watch the interview so you arent talking out your asses, but I guess its nothing new with this bunch...

14. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

He was trying to get to Brasil. But in all fairness, he was working to get somewhere he wouldn't have to be concerned about being extradited. That, and his original Gaurdian contact was based there. The whole no-extradition deal kinda forces his hand on looking at non-friendlies ... Doesn't necessarily show ill will or intent to cause harm.

Edit: I have been swayed a bit by his interview and some of the things being proven as fact that back up some of his claims. Now, I'm sure there is some spin on both sides, but I don't view him as the evil traitor I once did ... I can't lie.

15. Joe Morris

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Since we're all speculating anyway, I guess I'll be the one to say it...

It's ALL part of a plan. He openly talks shit, the NSA openly say "Oh, my!", the State Dept. openly rescinds his Passport while he's in one of the most security conscious countries in the world...he's doing his job.

Morocco Mole, Secret Squirrel...they got nothing on Snowden. He's hiding in plain sight under the very nose of the one man our IC has the most interest and he ain't over there alone. This is undoubtedly the biggest cloak-n-dagger snowjob ever.

17. June-yer

June-yer Well-Known Member

Maybe he toted the equipment that does the job, but I can't see him being that sophisticated.....................hey, maybe that's what they want us to think.:D

18. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

So, why is it we could cancel his passport in the blink of an eye but we cannot cancel the passport of an individual who is a part of genocide while fighting with ISIS?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Is Snowdens passport cancelled? You'd think they would want him back...

20. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member