1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ECU for 2002 Silverado ?

Discussion in 'General' started by RRP, Jan 22, 2016.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Doing some mods to the truck over the winter to improve towing. One is having the ECU reflashed and I can't be without my truck for the week or so required to get this sent off and done.

I wondered if getting a spare one is feasible and sending it off? Not sure if cost is oppressive on something like this as I have never done anything like this before. For reference, 2002 5.3l Vortec.

What says the BBS?

thanks
    M

2. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

3. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

My experiance has been with an EFI live authorized tuner, called black bear performance. They actually had a meet up in my town, which in reality is the guy sets up appointments all day long from a hotel, and drive/tunes your vehicle from the passenger seat via laptop and real time tuning software. It worked great and made a huge difference with my 02 suburban with the same 5.3 vortec. His other option is to tune your ecu after you send it to him, I think this is via an obd11 input device that he sends to you that will learn your drive habits, then both are sent back to be flashed/tuned. A lot of people do this via a second ecu sourced from eBay etc. so yeah it's being done a bunch.

I am in process of biulding a 6.0 for my truck, and I found an ecu on c-list for $50, will send it off for a baseline map spec 'S for my biuld, and go from there when new motor is in and running.

Bunch of scenarios to ponder, check out black bear, I think he's got a FAQ section that should cover your concerns.

4. Buy a used one, put that in yours and send your original off. Best option is listed above though. Why not just buy a programmer for it?

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Chuck ,

Don't ask me how I know about the rear brake line issue, mine are brand new as of the trip to the Rockies back in June.

And thanks for the other link!

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

My tech has a whole plan, the ECU being only a part of the equation used in conjunction with several other mods.

Thanks a ton for the info guys!

7. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

Unless this truck is super sweet or a necessity you should definitely be putting a built 6.0 in a Fbody instead.

8. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

Well if I had an Fbody sitting around that would change things.

This is going into my daily driver suburban. I like my truck, don't care to buy a new one, my wife has a nice new car that being paid for still, my 16y/o daughter will be getting a car soon as well. I was gonna just find another low mile 5.3 at first to do the swap, but I can't leave well enough alone, so I was patient and found an lq9 short block, and have some decent heads ready for when the block is freshened up.

I'm doing it because I can, and it won't break the bank.

jimraynor21 likes this.