1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DUCATI 750SS IN CLUBMAN

Discussion in 'General' started by AnthonyDuc, Dec 31, 2000.

1. AnthonyDuc

AnthonyDuc Well-Known Member

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way remember keep an open mind.
    Times change to stay up with the times you have to be willing to change with it.Some of the bikes in clubman will be ready for vintage before long (no harm meant guys ya'll still turn out some great races).When these bikes start disapearing what is going to take there place?Sure they call this a builders class but as you have heard some people would like to race clubman but don't want to build they want to race some people don't have the skills to build.I have been watching wera for about 3 years maybe I'm wrong but it seems that the clubman class has gotten small every year.The guys in clubman are turning out some good track times it would be possible for a person to win with a stock 750ss but it wouldn't be easy by any means he would have to work for it.I think that a stock 400 would be ok to notice I said stock.Its getting late gotta go we have a track day tommorow at TGPR sorry guys the people putting it on said Ducs only. [​IMG]

2. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

If they Aprilia's are allowed in Clubman this year that is pure BS. That is one class they should not be in. IF you are allowing those then why not a 400?

3. AnthonyDuc

I don'y know much about the 250 cup bikes haven't studded them much but that could could be the new clubmman field in the next few years 250,400,and Ducati ss who knows.

4. Jeffro510

Jeffro510 Hand bra for hire!!!!

They have one now, it's called D-Superbike!!!! [​IMG]

5. WERA

WERA Administrator

I'm still wondering what's wrong with the current Clubman class.

Seems to me that most people feel that rather than allow bigger bikes in Clubman we should change it a bit more towards the smaller machines.

6. CharlieM#90

CharlieM#90 Well-Known Member

If you want to run a 2-valve air-cooled Duc in Clubman, then get a 600 motor and put it in your 750ss. Or find an older Cagiva Alazzura with the 650 motor and stick it in. The 750ss can already run 4 classes (D Super, LW/HW Twins and D Super). Count yourself lucky. I run a tz250 and only have 2 classes.

Charlie Mc #90 Ex

7. Jeffro510

That's my feelings. I think that the bikes in the class are fine. I do think that the limits for the EX monsters are a bit crazy, but just my opinion. Maybe considering a few bikes that are no longer competitive in any other classes, but I really have no problem with Clubman the way it is. There is a guy on the left coast that was building 90+ hp GS500's, so it can be done. I think that lowering the limits in the class would make the competition closer while still keeping it a builders class, ie Formula rules...

8. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

The problem I have with allowing the Aprilia's in is that were booted out of the class last year after they were deemed "too fast". Now this year they are allowed back in? What did thay all of a sudden become slower? Or was that move last year to keep Steve Reeves from winning that class too? The Big Mac theory has been totaly thrown out of the window on this one.

9. Bryon K. Dumas

Bryon K. Dumas Well-Known Member

Until Vito can figure out a way to get rid of the "asphalt magnets" in his race suit I think he should stay where he is.

10. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

at home?

11. AnthonyDuc

I'm not saying lower the specs on the GS or the EX let them build what ever they want too.Those being older bikes let them have the advantage just hold the 750ss to superstock rules keep them at a disadvantage.Wouldn't that be fair?Let the GS's have 90hp keep the 750ss at the original 60hp.Sounds like the 750ss would be at a disadvantage already.Thanks Jeffro my point exactly.

12. AnthonyDuc

The idea was not to have to build anything so that the people that don't have the skills could buy a bike that might have chance.Just looking to get more racers involved.Think about it if you wanted to race but didn't have the skills and couldn't build a bike that would be competitve in the classes that it was in like the DUC.(The Duc takes alot of work to be competitive in its classes.) Would you want to continue racing if you didn't have a chance?For those of you who haven't read the hole thread,I don't myself that is wish to run clubman.I have already done to much to my bike and don't see any reason to down grade it.I'll still keep working on mine to try and keep it on the box.Thanks for the reply.

13. Jeffro510

Um, Charlie, you hitting the bottle again? That's only 3 classes, unless you run D-Super twice... [​IMG]

14. AnthonyDuc

Come on guys the Duc is not competitive in any of these classes stock.Mine is still not really competitive in LW,Dsuper,or For2 and I have spent $$$$$$$$$$$ and I don't mean just a few $$$$$ I mean alot of $$$$$$ and still have to spend more for this coming season.

15. CharlieM#90

Some left over Percocet actually. Jeez, leave it to you guys not to cut an old man a break.
    Meant to say "Formula2" . [​IMG]

Charlie Mc #90 Ex

16. CharlieM#90

I would beg to disagree. With some minor/judicious mods it *is* competitive - particularly in the Novice classes.
    I ran mine for the better part of three seasons. Some J&E Hi-comp pistons, lightened flywheel, 39mm FCR's, set of 5.5" Marchesini's, improved suspension and some crank work by Falicon. In '99 won 2 regional Championships (Southeast & Mid-Central) in HW Twins Novice as well as finishing 2nd in LW Twins (both regions) and Formula2 and 4th(?) in D Super (SE). And 4th in HW Twins Nat. And I ain't exactly known for my blazin' "ride it on the edge" style. [​IMG]

They can be competitive. You just gotta know what to spend the money on. Talk to Ed Vigluicci - he's got as big a motor in his as anything on the grid. But the motor only gets you so far. On my 750ss I was beaten by guys on GS's with half the motor and I beat guys on TLR's and 916's who had twice the motor. It's hard to spend your way to the podium. Believe me, I've tried. [​IMG]

Charlie McCullough
    tz250 WERA #90 Ex

17. AnthonyDuc

Hey Charlie,I agree I also have beaten larger bikes and have been beaten by smaller bikes an like you said the same bikes that run clubman GS,EX,an yes a hawk a time or two.This has happen with the mods I have already done so thats my point if the 750ss ran basic stock equipment would it out do the rest of the feild?Clubman that is.These being the same bikes that normaly run clubman stepping up and running in our normal classes (this is not a problem I feel the more the merrier)and beating bikes like ours that have the mods on them.If our bikes have the mods and they still beat us then what would the reason be if they didn't let ducs in clubman.Thanks for the reply Charlie.

18. AnthonyDuc

Charlie,would you mind giving me some more info on the mods you,ve found for the duc.Thanks

19. WERA476

WERA476 Well-Known Member

I say let it in. I'm on a EX 540 and don't have any complaints about the 750 Duc in SS trim running the class. I've raced against Ed, Charlie and Vito on theirs as novices and experts and find them to be a good fit. My 2 cents worth and I have a National and 2 Regionals in Clubman on the EX. Let them play.

Chris
    #476 Expert

20. AnthonyDuc

Thanks Chris thats what I mean most of us do this as a hobby and to me thats playing.If wera gives people one more place to put their bike then there might be more people playing which does one thing,HELPS WERA GROW.Thanks Chris.