1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRZ400 or KLR650

Discussion in 'General' started by SmokeSignalRT, Feb 25, 2008.

1. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Im looking at these 2 used bikes to save miles and fuel on my diesel truck. Im going to use it to commute 40 miles a day and to play around on some trails. Probably 80/20 mostly road use. What bike would you suggest?

2. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

The DRZ is a WAY better off-road bike. If it really is 80/20 the 400 is the only answer. If your % is truthfully more like 98/2 then get the 650...it's a more comfy streetbike, and arguably even more fun in the twisties because the suspension has less travel.

I've come about _this_ close to buying a 650 about 50 times...one of these times I'm gonna pull the trigger.

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

If you really going to commute with it I vote the KLR with a decent windscreen and some of those mondo aluminum side cases. Something like this guy has: http://laudeman.com/klr650/

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

:stupid:

I drove my KLR ~35mi ea way for a year commuting. It is very nice for that. Off road, not so much. Mine now has 32K mi and my last tank was 47mpg.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

40 miles a day - KLR.

6. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

yup. klr for any decent portion of street.

but if you decide the dirt portion is more important....i have a mint '04 drz that i will probably be selling shortly.

7. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I went by and looked at the KLR I really dig it but damn I really dont think I could handle it in the woods. I quess I need to do some thinking or buy 2 more bikes :) im not going to be on interstate just 2 lane country roads (55mph) can the DRZ cruise at say 60-65? I really want the DRZ to work but it might not. The KLR reminds me of an urban tank.

8. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

just buy the 650, and ride my pit bike you stole in the woods. :D

9. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

dats my bike punk :D

10. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Then get the DRZ and try it out. Worst case you have to buy something else that works better on the street and end up with two bikes instead of one.

11. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Hey how about the DR650 it looks more like the DRZ with KLR power.

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Get one of those, too. Then you will have three bikes. :up:

:D

13. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I actually read your post too quickly...when I put up my initial response I was talking about a DR650, not the KLR. I think the KLR is a better touring bike, but for commuting the DR is at least as good, it's more fun in the twisties (more compact), and it is better than the KLR for once-in-a-while woods riding.

The DR is the one I've almost bought a bunch of times...Mongo and I were just talking about that actually at Tally.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you're going to really ride it in the woods the DRZ is better yes. It'll be fine cruising 60-65, I've done sustained 80 for a solid 45 minutes with no problems. It's just not the most comfortable for droning down the highway. If it's a decent amount of side roads I'd say go for it. Gel seat bicycle shorts actually made it more than tolerable for the highway droning too.

15. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

+1 for the KLR. Used to commute 70 miles/day with mine. Got to love getting 50 MPG. Stock screen worked fine for me. I invested in a Gerbings heated liner. Money well spent. Only mod I did was to replace the big ass wind catching handle bar wobbling front fender with an Acerbis Super Moto fender. They aren't that bad on dirt roads but I wouldn't single track with it. I put a Pelican 1520 case on the back for carrying "stuff".

16. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

17. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

You get one and I'll just borrow yours :)

18. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Oh no, I'm on a strict "no more motorcycles" plan right now.

19. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Me too thats why Im only getting 1 more......duh :D

20. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

XR 650, good bike for the woods and can easily do 55-60 mph on the highway.