1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Down 53 lbs

Discussion in 'General' started by Shenanigans, Sep 13, 2023.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I will say in my experience being hospitalized over the past 24 years has shown me that all facilities have "their own" protocol for T1/2 diabetics. First a lowly CNA is doing blood sugar checks 3 or 4 times a day and at the most inopportune times plus they just don't care. Typically after a meal that is nowhere near being diabetic "compliant" having over 100grams of carbs complimented by a soft drink with 25 grams of sugar. Pop a sugar check at >400 mg/dl... oh no biggie we will give you 2 units to cover hours after the fact. :rolleyes: You cannot chase the tail like that especially if you are a proactive type that strives to keep your A1C low. Then the irony of being diabetic puts you into the "critical care" or similar... so they can run up the bill & send in an "educator" for a primer on "carbs" or wake you up at 3am to draw some blood. You should see their faces when they pull my blood & it shows 45 mg/dl Then its time for "clinical T1 education" as the nurses rush to consult a doctor on why my sugar is so low.

Imprecise sugar management goes something like this... eat a piece of cake or ice cream at 7pm. Blood sugar skyrockets... then you may pass out from the rapid rise of the blood sugar... now you are in some catatonic state where your body isn't resting properly & your HR slightly elevated circulating this sweet 60 grit blood honing out tiny blood vessels and major organs Now the kidneys are working OT to ditch the extra sugar and the bladder fills up. Up you go to the restroom 3 or 4 times during the night... which will lead to mild dehydration or worse. Then it compounds daily as the poor choices made for food because of time constraints or location. Perhaps you start drinking ALOT of caffeine to supplement your lack of sleep which only worsens that condition along with more dehydration maybe it elevates your HR> Next thing you know you have sleep apnea because of the weight gain and now you have complications from not getting enough sleep. Maybe throw in some booze as a kicker or a bad wound that wont heal you just didn't take all that serious.

ducnut likes this.
  2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I can tell you straight up that mine is a direct result of me using quitting smoking as an excuse to stuff my face with whateverthehell I wanted. Shot from 185# up to who knows what in 1 year. I never got on a scale that read 250, but I just didn't get on scales for quite a while. One thing I've never been, though, is a couch potato. My choice to scoop dog shit instead of a better paying higher stress desk jockey job is also part of it. The extra 50K I could earn elsewhere is being made up for by investments. I guess I'm lucky there.

I could probably take my diet more seriously. ... OK, I could DEFINITELY take my diet more seriously, but I'm doing way better and I'm in the low 7 range. Not great, not terrible.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

"leery". For any serious investigation of inference, the underlined part is a non sequitur.

Carry on.

4. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I would seriously doubt that randomized control trials are underway with an off patent drug that is so cheap- but I could be wrong.

5. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Gino230 likes this.
  6. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

the wife works in ICU, the sheer number of diabetics and obese patients she sees with serious issues related to not managing it is crazy. As someone with some common sense, i cant understand how someone , when faced with the reality of loosing a foot - still chooses to eat and ignore the issue. i follow a pretty strict diet, by choice, so i can develop the body i want. i would have absolutely no issue with cutting things out if i was going to loose my toes/foot etc. or become obese.

TurboBlew and ToofPic like this.
  7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Taking responsibility for one's actions isn't exactly ingrained in this society. Even when asked about their lifestyle choices, I'd wager most blame someone or something else.

Wheel Bearing, gixer1100 and ducnut like this.
  8. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Clearly it's the forks and spoon's fault. Ban cutlery.

9. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I have a patient thats down to two big toes.She of course is a fall risk,but still doesnt give a fug!! Its amazing and scary where folks will go in life. All she wants to do is watch cooking shows..go figure

10. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Im the lightest Ive been in 20 yrs. 221lbs this morning!

I think I was 215 when I was marathon training 20 yrs ago.

260 in college.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Hitting every Waffle House in five area codes isn’t a marathon… :Poke:

12. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Efff you!

You cant run far on empty carbs like WaHo. You need pizza silly boy

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

But you can run with a Belgian waffle in your hand and still
    have one hand free to grab a cup of coffee from bystanders.

14. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

After reading about folks struggling with A1C, fighting the diabeetus, and getting limbs lopped off (I am in admiration of BPro’s attitude), I just can’t help thinking that so much of this stuff is just a genetic crapshoot. Coming onto my 66th pretty soon, and despite the combination of a somewhat sedentary career, well planned diet of beer and whatever the hell I wanted to eat, and exercise program of sitting on the couch watching TV, my general health, blood chemistry and other associated stuff are all basically perfect. I’ve never had to take meds of any kind and hardly ever get sick with whatever crud is going around (beat the Covid too!). The little bit of stiffness I have can be tallied up to getting flung off of a dirt bike once and road race bikes a number of times.

I attribute my good health to picking out the finest long lived midwestern ancestors that could be found. My mom is almost 90 and still very active with church and being a volunteer suicide prevention councilor. She occasionally drives her Cadillac to Iowa from Ohio to visit her sister.

My Dad died at many years ago at 59 of the Big C (fuck cancer), but it was nothing lifestyle related. Ignoring a bump on his neck for years turned out not to be a good strategy. At one point during his treatments after he had some blood work, his doctor was admiring has blood chemistry (cholesterol, sugar etc.), and she told him “If you didn’t have that cancer, you would be in great shape!”

Three out of my four grandparents lived to be in their late 80s or into their 90s, and they came from the days when frying a couple of eggs in the fat from your morning bacon was the way to start the day. One grandfather smoked (starting with corn silk) from the age of 14 and gave it up 70 years later (for his health he said)!

My brother and sister enjoy similar good health and are active with very few health problems.

I am grateful for lifelong good health, and hope I am not jinxing myself. Not sure what else can be gained from this, but for the people with health issues, blame your parents and the crappy DNA they gave you!

bpro, ToofPic and auminer like this.