1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Down 53 lbs

Discussion in 'General' started by Shenanigans, Sep 13, 2023.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Put your best efforts into diet modification and try to
    stay away from drugs if possible, all that stuff has
    unwanted effects that can cause you other problems.
    Stay away from statins especially.

ducnut and Shenanigans like this.
  2. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Thats alot of weight! God job. I have done it a couple times. Tough to maintain. Once your "diet" is a "lifestyle" it gets easier. I dont eat complex carbs, no beer, soda, juice.

Veggies and protein only. Liquor with low calorie mix. Exercise 4-6 times a week.

You WILL lose muscle dropping that weight. Keep the protein levels up and workout will help reduce losing the muscle mass.

I was 240lbs at my worst, got down to 178 (athletic build). Right now hovering at 195 with target of 185 (got back up to 207). I can lose 4lbs a week if I stay strict on diet.

Shenanigans likes this.
  3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Gonna put them on this weekend and see how loose they are. Will post on Facebook side by side comparison .

418 and Phl218 like this.
  4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I'm on the fast track program, trying to finish ahead, Just got back from the dentist, he thinks I'm insane telling him to pull the stitches out after he said he can't pull them. Told him I don't care how much it hurts, had 2 wisdom teeth plied out of my face with drills and mini pliers with novocaine wearing out by the minute in the DR for less than I pay for a cleaning at his office. I don't know we had a language barrier in the DR and my mouth hurt so much I paid and didn't ask questions. He managed to pull one and have to go back in a week for the other

Shenanigans likes this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

That is what I don't get?? Some folks dont even know what they are eating... but having dessert & sugary drinks is a solid way to get it.
    Ironically last year I was in the pre-0p room waiting on my doc. There was another patient in the room when I hear the nurse quizzing him on the last time he ate, drank, etc.
    Dude had a full breakfast before he arrived and a "few" beers the night before. Surgery cancelled...

Gino230 and Shenanigans like this.
  6. Captain Morgan

Devils advocate, as a chef on a boat I see exactly what people eat and drink from all nationalities and ages. I cook healthy but right now have a crew member that can't be 100 pounds that puts more food down in 1 day that I eat in 4 and remains skinny. Another guy in his late 20's lives off of chicken nuggets, candy and drinks 8 sodas a day. Other's more normal diet but am a firm believer that people are exposed to genetic disorders and some dumb luck. Their is no rhyme or reason that I drink rum like water and have lived to 43 and a 5 year old child dies of cancer, or a young mother or father dies unexpectedly while a criminal drug addict lives until old age, life is a ride

418 likes this.
  7. Shenanigans

That guy is a dumbass. Pre op instructions clearly say don't eat or drink.

Boman Forklift and TurboBlew like this.
  8. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

couple of things - first - good job! the wife is a nurse - 2 things she sees A LOT the ICU was obesity and diabetic issues...a tremendous amount of both - and they are both ENTIRELY manageable! so guys - do your best to manage it!
    if you are worried about losing muscle at a more mature age lol. dont hesitate to check your test levels and see where youre at. it will help with that and the fat loss amongst other things. hit the gym and train intensely as well. Good luck!

Shenanigans and TurboBlew like this.
  9. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Diagnosed type II a few years ago, was on the pen for about six months. Finally just stopped insulin on my own, told my doc later. Diet and exercise and I'm managing it fine. Eat less than 12 grams of carbs a day, some less. No sugar.

Try taking a blood sugar reading before a long bicycle ride and check it after. I can easily knock it down to 80 or lower.

27, Shenanigans and TurboBlew like this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

no 2 people are alike. I had a skinny friend in school that was always eating twinkies or similar snacks. Turns out he is hypoglycemic and those packaged snacks
    needed no refrigeration and work in a variety of temperatures. I saw him about 5 years ago... still a featherweight with some muscle and still carries around the snacks, just not twinkies but glucose tablets.

I have no doubt alcohol may have played a role in my situation... my genetic family is no stranger to alcoholism.
    Food is a big part of the social experience . Its not hard to navigate at most restaurants or food situations. I just hate the rigid folks that must have something complex but made to comply with their undiagnosed conditions or demands. Nobody said you couldn't provide your own sustenance.

Shenanigans likes this.
  11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Both of them are young enough to get away with that.

For now.

See above. :D

Yeah... Metabolism is a quirky thing. Some teenagers can't eat 2000 calories a day and not get swole up. Some 40 year olds can eat 5000 a day and be beanpole. I was like that until I quit smoking. Quitting smoking at 38 after a 27 year career totally f@cked up all my systems. I got rosacea which my dermatologist said I'd be on antibiotics for the rest of my life for. (nope) Ballooned up to 250+ and got the diabeetus. Now back to my fighting weight of 185 at 55 and controlled A1C with the help of lower end pharmaceuticals (metformin) and will be getting a blood test next month to hopefully get off of even that. It would be helpful if I laid off the booze, but, as you well know, that’s not something I'm willing to give totally up until it becomes a problem. All things in moderation... including moderation!

None of us are going to live forever. Sometimes it's the living until you die that's the hard part. I take care of myself within reason, and I'ma let the chips fall where they may.

12. Captain Morgan

Nice, glad you are living well. Seems like you are stepping up and doing the work

13. Captain Morgan

For me it's complicated, not overweight, eat healthy, but If it's my own choice can mostly function on a 750ml bottle of rum a day. This job has been a lifesaver for me with a sober captain that can call me out if i had 2 drinks so been 2 years off and on, mostly off

auminer likes this.
  14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I should be fatter, diabetic or any number of things. I eat constantly, drink Mt Dew constantly and if I pull back on what I consume I drop weight in no time. No surprise when I was younger but at 50 I thought I would have to start watching what I eat a little more. I'm still 160 pounds and during the move while I was stupid busy and not consuming as much dropped to 154 without even trying. Every doctor that has taken my blood pressure since I was 12 says I have high blood pressure. None of them have ever suggested I take anything for it. Which I wouldn't anyway but I'm not sure if I can expect those trends to continue.

15. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Captain you’re a hot mess! My wife is an ER nurse, she sees people with high blood pressure all the time. You’re not taking your meds? No, I feel fine. Yes but now you’ve had a stroke/aneurysm/ kidney failure, you can’t go home. And no rum!

I’m kind of giving you shit, because we all know you choose to live a certain way and that’s fine, just understand that it may have consequences later. You can’t watch what others are doing or not doing and use that as a justification to not eat right, work out, etc as that is a recipe for failure. Guaranteed they are doing more than you think to stay healthy. Especially the 20 year olds.

losing weight is like lap times- you think your doing everything great because you worked out and ate good 5 days this week, but you missed the apex and blew the drive onto the front stretch and you get mad that it’s not a PB! That’s me after Sunday dinner at Mom’s and 4 whiskeys during the Dolphins game.

Shenanigans likes this.
  16. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

After my accident, my chiro gave me an exam once a month to monitor my progress. One of those tests was a blood pressure screening.

First one came in high, which was attributed to the pain from the injury.

A month later it was still high. This time I actually paid attention to the numbers. 155/94.

That day was the last that I drank a cup of caffeinated coffee.

Next exam was 120/90. Diastolic still higher than it ought to be, but eliminating the caffeine knocked 35 points off the systolic.

I suspect you’ve been a dew junkie since before you were 12…

17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I drink a pot of strong coffee every day. Virtually no caffeinated colas... maybe 3 Dr Peppers a year. I think they have caffeine, not sure.

Yesterday my pre- blood donation reading was 120/70.

I'd guess your BP issues to be related to your status of Pater Familias going through a D-I-V-O-R-C-E...

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Nope...I didn't really start drinking it until I was 16. I do have a sweet tooth however and my sugar intake is probably more than most and that has been consistent since before the age of 12.

130/80 according to the tester as of a couple minutes ago.

19. Shenanigans

Back on july 12th. O had felt sick all day assuming it was medicine side effects. I went to work (3rd shift) and within an hour was being transported to ER with low blood pressure 82/52. They kept me from 12:30 - 8:30 and monitored me. Had GI tube inserted to clear stomach. Never did figure out whybit dropped so quickly.

20. Shenanigans

12:30a-8:30p