1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DON'T USE RAT/MOUSE POISON!

Discussion in 'General' started by sheepofblue, Nov 25, 2022.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I had a friend use one of those buckets with a flip lid on top and a ramp up to the top where he placed food along to draw the mice out, up the ramp and then onto the flip lid and drop into the bucket. I was surprised that it actually worked. Some people put water in the bucket so the mice eventually drown. Or, put nothing in there, let them fall in and then haul them out somewhere so they don't come back. Only took a few days to clear his house and immediate property around his suburban house.
    [​IMG]

Once a Wanker.., Muz720 and Sabre699 like this.
  2. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

One of my dad's dogs Sandy, died in July due to poisoning on his farm.
    My Dad passed away Sept 28th and I've made a new buddy Diego....his other wee dog.

I've since removed the mouse/rat poison from the farm. I'd never have had it on the farm.

Sorry about your beautiful dog :(

sheepofblue likes this.
  3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Most don't so not unusual. The post was not for sympathy (though the wishes are appreciated) it is so someone else does not have my 'Thanksgiving' let alone another pup who got an even worse day. Some pull through, unfortunately not Angus. Worse yet there is a new neurotoxin that has zero hope for the secondary victim according to the vet. Snap traps or glue. And for those that think glue is inhumane poison is basically death from ebola with potential to also pass it to a dog, cat or bird of prey.

4. sheepofblue

To make it worse my brother has a shop with a severe mouse issue. When they used bait traps he found a stash of poison in with his micrometer. Mouse was not eating it but taking it to a nest, did this a bit before going down.

Basically I have always been against poison but am now even more so, for obvious reasons. So far Spitfire is OK but I expect him to be upset once he knows Angus is gone.

boxcrash likes this.
  5. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

So sorry for your loss.

6. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Sorry for your loss.

100% “Snap traps” only. Also placed where only rodentia can get to them.

I work at finding where they get in/out of the house, and eliminating the hole.

7. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

Sorry for ur loss.. Beautiful doggie

I will never support glue traps..
    I saw a cat documentary on people using them for wild cats in korea..
    Absolutely sickening. Probably the most crule thing I have ever seen.

tony 340 likes this.
  8. sheepofblue

Go snap then. I can tell you seeing your buddy suffer while he bleeds to death internally might not be movie quality but the pain was severe. Oh and not quick either.

9. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

So sorry for your loss, I know how you love your animals.

sheepofblue likes this.
  10. sheepofblue

He was actually a Clemson dog. Rode over to very near Clemson to get him with Dad, then we saw the eclipse a month later. Last two things I got to do all day stuff with Dad before we lost him. That summer start a few years of bad luck. He was perfect though. I planned on racing him but instead he was a lovable goof that adored being petted. Perfect dog for tough times.

ClemsonsR6 likes this.
  11. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Sorry man, I have some experience with rats between restaurants and 1/3 world dwellings. Poison is the worst approach possible, usually die in walls, underfloor, or every other nook and cranny you can't reach easily. If you study a little bit of their behavior you can get rid of them. But rats are pretty smart. Get T Rex traps, peanut butter, in the corners, zip tie them on any big wire, small beam, basically and thing that is a road for rats, then run glue traps down the middle of walls, rats have poor eyesight and will naturally follow a wall or run on top of something to get from point a to b

sheepofblue likes this.
  12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Very sorry to hear.

Another option that I've had work in the past is to put out little bowls of Ammonia. Apparently rodents mistake its smell as the urine of larger predators and it scares them off.

13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

14. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Sorry for your dog, but I’m pretty sure that’s common knowledge

15. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Had a dog growing up that climbed up onto shelves and ate golden malathion (sp?). The fly bait we had in a barn. Terrible part is we had it up where “there’s no chance a dog will get to it…”.
    Sorry you lost your companion.

16. sheepofblue

I wish and not to pick on anyone but at least one response was had not thought of it (could have been being kind). Go by a big box store and see how much poison is on the shelf. Yes it is possible that people are just that lazy and uncaring..... oh wait no it isn't most people are pretty decent folks.

In the end if it wasted I am OK with that but if a single dog is helped I am glad.

17. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Yeah I hate that I pretty sure I know some people that lost their dog because of that they refuse to admit it but they don't understand that rats just take that stuff she with the pieces and leave pieces all over the and her dog was a little Chow hound the dog would eat virtually anything I'm afraid in my heart that's what happened.
    I'm kinda a softie...Even though they try my patience....I generally like the Lil Fckrs...lol
    Where I'm at it's the Lil pack rats... honestly cute as buttons..but damn if they are not the dirtiest lil bastards..lol
    A year or so ago one managed to find it's way I to my house...I kept on missing things off my counters, and just assumed I lost them or misplaced them ..Finally he found his way into my pantry ... The little sob sampled just about every bag and every box in there literally at least 50 different packages... That's when I discovered that he was in my house I finally tracked him down to a giant subwoofer I have behind my sofa which is ported well let me tell you he had the perfect little apartment set up.. giant hole to take things into the subwoofer, dog food bowl and water in this house all the food he'd ever need and house empty 15 hrs a day.. he had himself a little Shangri-La going on I pulled $7 of change out of that subwoofer about 40 bottle caps buttons cards motorcycle parts for my carburetors hens pencils and barbecue skewers. There's was a lot more but you name it he had it in that subwoofer, I couldn't bear to kill him because the little bastard liked & collected the same things I like.. lol
    Put him out side..just don't leave my screen door open anymore.... But when I say they're trying my patience they get into my cars to the wiring couple forwards ashes are wiring out of love to eat it so what I do but solar lights in the engine bay and that seems to work.....pretty good.

sheepofblue likes this.
  18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this. We have a rat problem outside, but I have not let the exterminator use any poison because of this exact reason. We have a 7lb chihuahua who is very adventurous and gets into everything. Also our neighbor has a small dog as well. I know I could put them where the dogs can't go, but I'm worried they would go after a poisoned rat.

I'm going to try the bucket thing. I had some snappers somewhere, I think I tossed them when I moved.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  19. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

sheepofblue likes this.
  20. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

The 1st point to solve a rat problem is to take away food and water. you can buy buckets, fancy sound devices, ammonia, ect, Rats are kind of like burglers, if you have an alarm system and lights with locked doors they just go to the next easy house, same with rats, in Alaska same with bears