1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I’d look more at a KTM 250XC if you want to do both. A 125 off road is super fun but also a ton of work. Steep climbs are far tougher on them too. The XC model is basically the SX but with an 18” rear wheel and a kickstand and softer valving. You can totally moto down on an XC model but rip up the woods as well.

Once a Wanker.. and Senna like this.
  2. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

How's the power delivery on the 250? Is it more mellow than the SX?

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The HP is there, but cylinder porting, timing curve, exhaust valve spring choice and preload, pipe and carb setup mean that you don't get the 'hit' the SX can deliver out of the crate. If you hold it WFO it'll rip, but it's not as nutty getting there. You can of course dial it back in if you want, but my 2016 250XC for example was damn linear and super easy to woods ride as a result.

Senna and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  4. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I have a good friend who owns and rides a YZ250X. He loves it, but he's really jonesing to ride a YZ125X. Thinking it might be the ticket for the tight woods he rides.

TurboBlew and Senna like this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

A friend has a carbed Husky TE150... that thing rips for a tight woods weapon and his 150lb sized frame.
    I did ride a 125x at elevation and if it wasnt on the pipe it wasnt going nowheres. It made alot of noise to be making 14ft lbs of torque. FWIW I dont think the owner did any jetting on it so that maybe why it was such a dog.

6. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

I have a 250x. I love it on single track. Its a little soft for MX, but it is doable. Power delivery is great, its smooth even power, has great low end torque, not like the regular 250. I can’t personally speak on the 125x, but I am in some FB groups with people that have them, and they say that the power delivery is similar to a normal 125, you have to be on the pipe if you want the power. It still doesn’t have that low end grunt like the 250x.

TurboBlew, Once a Wanker.. and Senna like this.
  7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Kinda thinking I need to go ride some stuff before deciding There's a shop that rents a 250 XC-F, but most of the two stroke rentals are 300s.

8. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

I went back and forth between the 125 and 250 quite a bit. The 125 is a blast because it is so light and nimble, but the 250 isn’t that much heavier, and is just easier to ride if you want to take it easy. The 125 really needs to be ridden at 100% all the time. I feel like I burn through a lot more fuel on a 125 vs my 250 as well.

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. Once a Wanker..

Modern YZ's are sold with super-rich jetting out of the crate. They do this to eliminate any possibility of a sea-level, cold temperature seizure occurring.
    Because most people who do re-jet are extremely cautious when doing so, it's quite rare to find a 2-T YZ without fuel-thinned oil oozing out of the exhaust joints and silencer.
    As someone who still owns both an '03 and an '05 YZ125, they have a way better transition of power when jetted crisply, with the appropriate oil and fuel mix. The difference compared to OEM jetting is impressive on YZs.
    Ironically, my earliest racing days were spent on improperly jetted two-strokes.

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. Spooner

Depends on the year. Older carb models can totally rip but there are pipe and power valve changes you can make to make it more or less of a ripper. On the new TBI fuel injected bikes they are super smooth but pull great all through the rev range without the big hit that makes it harder to handle the power. A weapon in the woods or on the track.

Once a Wanker.. and TurboBlew like this.
  11. TurboBlew

if you look at them side by side the 125x is not any smaller than the 250.

12. TurboBlew

the KTM 300s are like an appliance. Easy to maintain & easy to ride. I suggest a 2018 or later model. The TBI ones are deceptively fast if you soften the power valve & gearing. If you want to ride mx get a linkage bike like an XC.

Once a Wanker.., Senna and Spooner like this.
  13. Spooner

Agreed, I assumed 300's were total monsters but honestly they are pretty mellow to ride. Mine makes me a FAR better rider than I actually am haha. The TPI bikes (2020-2022) have great bottom but fall flat on top. The TBI (2023+) have the same killer bottom end but rev out far better but still super easy to ride.

TurboBlew, Senna and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  14. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

I totally agree, but Ive ridden them back to back, and the 125 just seems smaller, and more flickable. Could’ve been suspension settings, could’ve been a placebo, idk..
    Edit:Ive never ridden the 125x, Im speaking of an MX YZ125.

TurboBlew and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  15. Once a Wanker..

Didn't mention that I have an '06 YZ250 also. My 125's are way easier for me to ride in the woods, but you need to be looking ahead more to anticipate climbs. I'm finally ready to part with most of these YZ's and get a Husky TE150, though. I need the button these days.

TurboBlew and Senna like this.
  16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

The manic/hyperactive nature of the 125 is really what’s drawing me to them, haha.

Once a Wanker.. and WillMill like this.
  17. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Riding a 125 is night and day easier than a 250. You can ride laps all day on the 125! They feel so much lighter on track. The 125 is god’s gift to motocross!

18. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

Have you ridden a 250x? A 250x is night and day easier to ride than your standard MX 250. I guess I was speaking of single track and woods riding, because there really isn’t a “taking it easy” on the MX track, lol.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Wouldn't some flywheel weights added to the 125 add a little torque and smooth out the power band a little ?

20. Once a Wanker..

I personally think a properly jetted YZ125X would be an absolute blast to ride!! I would would have added the ECU and pipe to my '06, if I hadn't realized I've grown to an age where I would appreciate the magic button on the right side of my handlebars.
    There IS an aftermarket e-start available for YZ250's now.