1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

its now a CRF125F Big Wheel - pretty much a 125 XR with a 4 speed and bigger fork/disk brakes

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  2. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I like the 150F better, yes it is heavier but it is taller and I don't feel so cramped on it when playing around on flattrack.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I threw my comment out more to address riding into colder temperatures but, yeah, short of buying a bike from a different geographical elevation then tuning it to your locale, you're right...it's not that big of a deal.

As it has to do with riding into snow, I love it. None of that pesky cleaning afterwards. The bike is spotless. Doing the once-over is a breeze. :D

4. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Don't you already have a Grom? :D

[​IMG]

5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

pretty much a grom set up for dirt. that 4-speed though...

6. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Beta 300RR Race edition. Not what you spec'ed but it's what I want. :D

[​IMG]

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid:
    2 strokes are just so much easier...
    I have an old RM250 with a pipe, flywheel weight and suspension work. Were I to get back in to hare scrambles I am pretty sure the bike would not be the limiting factor unless I managed to pick up enough speed to get up to the pointy end of expert.

8. Shit, that's actually a good idea. I could just use Grim.

9. compmoto

compmoto Team Geno

good dirtbike from Spain :2000 EC200 2t

I have this , and it needs nothing but a rider ...anyone who knows, would likely vouch for this bike..they're pretty durable. Think Spanish KDX200...
    $1000.
    pm for more details,or contact info

Attached Files:

10. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I don't know where "DogPatch" is, so... ;)

Finding a few nice bikes here and there. There's two bikes in particular I like, one is a '12 CRF450, 99% stock other than a full exhaust, and a '11 KX450 with a Rekulse clutch, triples, and some other small things. Both in the neighborhood of the same price. I think they're asking a bit too much (about 3500), and they've both been on the market for some time (Which confirms my belief that they are a tad high on price). But they look clean...and the inner Broome in me likes a clean bike (engine cases not severely worn and whatnot). Trying to figure out if it's easier to make a woods bike out of a MX'er, or the other way around.

Are the FI bikes easier to start than carb'd bikes? I think I could manage without a button start if it was FI and didn't give fits when trying to start after a long day of riding.

11. GSmann

GSmann Well-Known Member

With a 450 in the woods you're going to want to run a rekluse to eliminate the inevitable stalling. Fly wheel weight would be a good idea also to tame the power. Plus the tank is kind of small for HS.

just buy a KTM 350 and be done with it:D

12. Wheel Bearing

That's what I want, but not what I can afford. :( They are all still too new for me to afford.

13. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

A 450 in the woods will suck unless you are mostly riding wide open areas. It will feel much heavier and have way more power than you need too.

WERA 904 likes this.
  14. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I won't ever buy a kick start 4stroke. Nothing sucks more than being exhausted from numerous crashes and killing yourself trying to kick a bike over.

I suck on dirt. I ride a 2006 ktm525exc with an easy button. I've got both street and trail wheel setups for it, and is plated. I paid $3500 for it a few years ago.

15. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

You might find it if you search for my name/my posts. I think I may have started that thread

16. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

You're doing it wrong :) Respectfully disagree.

17. Wheel Bearing

I had a '03 525EXC years ago. Not gonna lie, I used the easy button all the time, but I started it with the kicker many times hot/cold/after a crash just to feel out what it takes to get it started if the battery ever died. I never had a problem kicking it.

Then again, when I was completely dead tired...I used the easy button, so take it for what it's worth. :crackup::crackup::crackup:

18. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Werd to the y0

Agree with this disagreement. Jerry's a mofo on that 450. Knocks down trees and shit.

19. noobinacan

noobinacan Well-Known Member

if you're riding trails..
    make sure you get electric start and try to find one that's already has suspension setup for trails riding.
    if you get MX, it will likely be too stiff for trails.

also +1 for 2T low maintenance and cheap/easy to rebuild and lighter bike.

20. I just got off the phone with a guy that has a great shape ktm 250 ex. He sent me a few pictures and can tell he needs cash which I have. Never owned a dirtbike but I guess 40 is not too late. 3 year old just got a PW so I need one, it's for safety I told my wife (she actually doesn't care what I spend money on).

V5 Racer likes this.