1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Cool thread!!!

Am I the only person wishing the bosses at WERA would consider starting an OFF-ROAD section? Maybe even with two sub-sections, 1) Trail Riding 2) MX??? (Hint, hint???) Maybe make the Melk-man a moderator even? :D

Anyhow, I haven't read all the replies in here but this one caught my eye cuz it related to me, I agree with this completely, moreso if you're a newer offroad rider.
    With that said, I'm currently looking for a lighter easier bike to ride, I'm leaning towards a 350 if I can find one within my budget OR even better a 300 (2T) since they're even lighter. If my research served me well, it seems as if I'd stand to gain almost 25-30# savings from my 450 to a 300, I look forward to that immensely cuz the 450 in our NNJ region (tighter, ROCKY terrain) can be a SOB to ride, beats you up so much it 'almost' takes all the fun out of it.

Anyone else transition from a bigger bike to a smaller one and found it was the best decision they ever made????

Also to the OP, this might be the thread you were looking for?> http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=319098&highlight=enduro

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm sticking with the YZ250 being given the best all around dirt bike you can buy. They can be found in good condition for 2 grand all day and they made a bloody bazillion of them so there will be cheap parts available until the year 3044.

3. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I went from a 300xcw to a 200XCW, man it's an awesome bike. Like a really fast mountain bike. So light weight. Faster and lighter than a 250F goes to zero RPM, and quicker than shit on the pipe. Can't imagine a more diverse bike for the type of riding I do. Hare scrambles, and woods and such.

4. pushystone

pushystone Well-Known Member

I want it.

pretty sure you are to far away though.

5. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Do the KTMs turn now? I haven't had a chance to ride any of the late models, but the early ones I played on couldn't change directions for shit. Absolutely horrible compared to the Japanese counterparts. ( Yes, the sag was reset for my weight for both the 400 and 525 I rode. Haven't been on a KTM 2t however)

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

not just want.. :) it's an almost "must have" unless you are just out on big wide open fire roads.
    Honestly can't see anyone purposely buying a 450 (mx race model) for offroad/harescramble use. I raced one for a couple seasons, and can't be happier having picked up a 350xcf ktm. Motors not too small, not too big, it's juuuuuuust right :)

have to agree though, for those on a bit more of a budget, especially buying an older used bike, 2 stroke is likely the way to go. Agree with someones comment about honda 4 strokes (i have one, had 2, nice bikes but way more valve issues than anyone should ever have). Yamaha 4-strokes seem to have way longer maint. intervals on top ends. And my 350ktm has over 250 hours now, never needed a single valve adjustment.

e-start bikes are really nice. Perhaps a wr 250? or crf250x ? (with the less wild cam, perhaps valves last longer ? ) or an older 200ktm 2 stroke. Usually can get them for under $4k in great shape. Awesome power, flickable, nice bike.. i just am done with 2 strokes. I'm 4 stroke all the way :)

ps; nice wheelie Troy S. :)

7. MELK-MAN

i'm too busy riding and causing trouble on this and other forums .. LOL

8. Critter

Critter Registered

As most of you know I have been training for the Dakar in the desert and I have found a few products that I really like. So below is my list of top finds and by the way I BUY all this stuff because the shit works,

1) Ariete Goggles-- They are the only brand I have found that seal against my face. Many of today's Goggle makers have lenses and frames too big to fit tight against your face if you wear a medium helmet, this allows a gap between your face and the goggle allowing dust inside the lens. Ariete makes all kinds of different lenses and different foams for your comfort, I have tried many different brands and these are by far the best I have seen in comfort, fit, and durability. You can get them from SpeedMob here in the U.S. They have foam for Sand, Silt and regular foam for proper ventilation in extreme heat.

2) Novik Gloves, I admit to being a prissy bitch about gear and these gloves vanish as soon as you put them on. They are built for American hands, Nice wide palms and super stretch flex material on the insides of the fingers. The best part is... There is no stitching in the palm!!! That's right a ONE PIECE palm so there is no stitching to tear your hands apart after 12 hours in the saddle. I like the SV3 glove and you can get them direct from Novik or you can order them from Risk Racing.

3) USWE Hydro Packs. I am on my 6th or 7th brand of Hydro pack over the years of riding and I finally found the one! The search is over as Survivor would say. The thing I like about this pack is how it attaches to you. There is one clip in the middle of your chest, so it allows your shoulders to move forward and your arms to be more free when riding compared to a traditional backpack style hydro packs. They have a couple of different sizes. I have been using the big one because I need to carry 6 liters of water with me when I ride. If you are on the east coast the smaller ones would do just fine. You can get these from www.SpeedMob.com

Those are really my top finds over the last 12 months of training for the Dakar, I am still on the hunt for some over the boot pants with pockets. I have a new jacket coming from Radikal Racing and when it gets here in about a week I will let you know what I think of it. So if you are thinking about Dirt Bagging it get the right shit...

9. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

I wish Kawi I would update the KDX with electric start. That would be the perfect woods bike and they would sell a ton of them.

10. MELK-MAN

.. pretty sure it does have it. my buddy Jon Foy has a new kx450f and kdx450 (at least i know it's the woods version with headlight), and almost positive it has e-start. i could be wrong, what is the woods version of the kx450f?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  11. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

12. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

klx 450

13. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Almost had one... a '09 250EXC 2 smoker. I got excited because I know they have electric start/kick. Showed up and it looked a lot worse in person than in the pics online (thank you cell phone cameras), and the starter was removed because apparently "the starters on the two strokes always break down and the batteries always die". He might have very well been telling the truth, but need to verify on google. Regardless...he was asking too much for the beat condition it was in. Bummer.

14. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Made? They still make them.

15. Well first one I had my eye on sold in less than a day and I even have cash with me. There is a 2nd one I was looking at but more I think about it I may just bike the bullet and get one a couple years old.

16. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Quite frankly, I'm shocked the big four haven't jumped on the woods bike bandwagon that KTM/Husky and other Euro makes are dominating in....I'd love to see each of them come out with a fair priced 300 2T and/or 350 4T w/ lights, street legal. I don't know about those outside of NJ but here you pretty much need a plate to get from one area to another...legally.

18. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

That new yellow 60th anniversary YZ450F is one pretty dirt bike :eek:

And I like Suzuki dirtbikes and I said that:eek:

19. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Pretty sure '05/'06 was last year for any KDX. I think they started making the 4t KLX/KFX crap after that. My '03 220 starts on 2nd kick every time. Granted, I submerge it in a stream, then I drain the carb, and it might take 5 kicks, but nothing near the stroke-inducing, kicking my buddy used to have to do with a KTM 450 :)

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Yamaha has the YZ250X for this year...