1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did this at the gym yesterday

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Shak....you're on my team, sorry Broome!

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

You bet your ass I'm in.

:D

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I had those back in Jr. High, only they were styrofoam with straps to go over existing shoes. At 5'8-5'9, my highlight was touching the rim. lol.

Sabre699 likes this.
  4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

All this baseball talk, hell with basketball, who wants to stand in the box to see if I can re-live my pitching glory days :Poke:
    At least a pitcher doesn't have to run!

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Me and Shak against GG and Eddie, half court, where we playing?

6. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I'm in, got my uniform ready!

[​IMG]

cpettit, Dave_SV, cha0s#242 and 2 others like this.
  7. upload_2021-3-1_19-43-26.jpeg

8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I'll bring the referee...

upload_2021-3-2_10-47-40.jpeg

Razr likes this.
  9. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Is jumping something you can weight train for? Is it a quad or hamstring dominant movement? Or is it a unique movement you just have to jump more?
    Like are guys with big jumps doing Russian/Nordic curls?
    I tried to post link without youtube posting...

10. shakazulu12

Strength training is part of it, but a smaller component than plyometric training. Deadlifts and cleans are more applicable to vertical leap than squats or hamstring curls. Think explosive. Strength is how much weight you can lift, but isn't useful if you can't use it in a split second. Power is the application of strength in the shortest period of time possible and that's what you are really going for. Now if you can't squat your body weight or deadlift 1.5x your bodyweight to begin with, you probably need to build up a strength foundation before you get into training for leaping ability specifically.

That's the short version of it. Now powerful athletes tend to be jacked anyway, but that's because the explosive nature of the movement builds muscles as well. This is also why football players have higher average vertical leaping ability than basketball players based on combine tests. They train for explosion over a couple seconds specifically vs basketball players are running all game and need to have more stamina.

JCW likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Did you guys see video of Myles Garrett playing basketball a few days back? :eek:

12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Razr likes this.
  13. shakazulu12

Football players are monsters on the basketball court. People forget that Julius Peppers was on the UNC basketball team with Vince Carter back in the day. Host of others were dual sport. Randy Moss was also a monster in high school basketball.

[​IMG]

HPPT likes this.
  14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

A little background.
    I was practicing shooting 22' footers straight on when I heard a loud RIP, and the ball didn't flow through the net, it kind on wedged itself into a net seam, and instantly stretched that seam out. But the next 30 shots kept ripping the back seams. I was the only one in the gym, so it was quiet, and you could really hear that net tearing. It was the swish sound, ripping sound, and the ball jamming the net sound...MUCH louder than that swish sound.

I had the time of my life in there for about 30 minutes after that first RIP of the net. Like Larry Legend took over my shooting skills. For an old half crippled guy (torn ACL, MCL left knee from a 1983 bike wreck, never fixed) (triple surgery in right shoulder 20 months ago) (decades of physical work) (10 years of baseball, basketball, football when I was a kid) thought I wasn't going to make it last year (pancreas quit working, lost 90 lbs in 5 months, think I dodged a bullet there) I thought I did great

I left that gym like I was on some kind of wonder drug. My wife thought I was being goofy being so excited about something so silly (a piece of string broke is what she said happened!) What a great day it was!

Yzasserina, shakazulu12 and JCW like this.
  15. shakazulu12

He's on fire!

[​IMG]

Razr likes this.