1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did any one actually READ the "Muslim Ban"?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Fencer, Jan 30, 2017.

1. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

It stated that he holds a US passport. Of course that's not to say he didn't have it with him but based on all of my international travels I've never been able to board a flight without showing my passport and that includes when coming back into the country. He would have never made it on the plane without one and would have had to go to the local consulate to get a temp.

"Mancini says officials continued questioning Ali Jr. after acknowledging that he was Muslim. Ali Jr., who has no criminal record, was born in Philadelphia and holds a U.S. passport."

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When I flew to Europe I didn't show my passport to leave the US - showed it in Munich to get in. May have showed it again to leave but definitely in ATL to get back in. Never showed it on cruises even though it was required. I have no idea how Jamaica handles it but - the law requires you have it with you to get back into the US but not to leave and if Jamaica doesn't care about it then they won't check at all.

3. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

You can't travel anywhere w/o passport.

Unless the US has recently invaded Jamaica, he would have needed his passport to get in.

The story didn't have to say because it was self evident.

"Ali Jr was also breathing air while traveling to Jamaica".... :D

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

There's a lot of things that should be self evident that aren't. It's self evident.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Actually - no. I haven't been asked for a passport at any island in the Caribbean (more I think about it - maybe one, don't think so tho). I was asked for it coming back into the US.

So it's far from self evident. US law requires one now coming from the islands - no clue what the islands laws are. They are independent countries you know...

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Looking at Jamaicas information on their sites they do not require a passport for US visitors, just valid travel documents which seems to include plane tickets showing you won't be there more than 6 months. I did see one article stating Ali was in possession of his passport but the rest of it looks like a bad rewrite of the original article so not sure if it's accurate.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Which islands are we talking about? Getting into Martinique might be a little different than getting into St. Thomas, for instance.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not sure, I'd have to do a list and probably forget a bunch :D But basic cruise ship stops. I do think one of them we had to run through a passport check - might have even been the second time at St Maarten.... Kind of picturing the dock/customs setup in my head but not clicking 100% which island. A number of them we went through customs but no ID check, just a double check of what we'd bought and our ship pass.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Grand Cayman, Belize, St Thomas (I know duh, but it's on the list), St Lucia, St Kitts, Cozumel, St Maarten - I know there have been a couple others but oh well.

10. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Yuppers. Pretty much mandatory nowadays....

11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Cruise ship stopping is different than flying in. The cruise ship typically has already given the electronic versions of your passport to the island before you even get there.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on the island and other things of course but while they gave them a passenger list it's still not requiring a passport and there is no electronic passport setup from everything I've read but I'll look more if I get bored later.

13. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I needed a passport last time I flew into Grand Cayman.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On the island or in the US? Hell, it may have been GC.

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Into Grand Cayman.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cool. Like I said, it could have been GC - things also have changed since the last time I took a cruise with requirements. GC seems to need a passport but if you're from Canadia a DL is fine. Their site does reference a US site but that is of course down so not sure when it all happened.