1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Debt Ceiling Negotiations

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by wsmcrobert, Jul 14, 2011.

1. woodyracing

woodyracing Well-Known Member

So your argument is that he's right because he's a politician?
    And I didn't say his opinion is worthless, I happen to agree with some of his opinions, but that doesn't make him right about everything all the time, or more accurately it doesn't mean that everyone is going to agree with him all the time.

2. woodyracing

it has its ups and downs but I think any system that is fair, when utilized in a country of such polar opinions will, inevitably, have struggles like this. I think the party system is going through a phase whereby candidates with extreme left or right views are favored by their respective parties, which leads to issues such as the latest near-stalemate on the debt ceiling/budget debate.

The only reason any of this became such a strong issue was because of the tea party types, who ran and were elected on the premise that they would take a stand on issues such as the deficit so it's not surprising that they did just that. In my opinion, the problem with those tea party members is that they believed they were elected to get their way or throw a wrench into the whole system, whereas I believe they were elected to represent their constituents to the best of their abilities, while providing a stronger voice for them. If congressmen don't negotiate, the entire premise of balancing the two sides goes down the drain and we have a problem just like what happened.

The system is not perfect but no system will ever be perfect. The entire point of our government is that if you have a problem with the way things are going, you are encouraged to get involved. Unfortunately, most people don't bother with that step.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  3. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I agree with alot of what you said. Except this last part.... That may have been the way the government was set up, and probably practiced for the first 100 years or so. And the whole "get involved" thing is probably fantastic at a local level. But, there ain't no more "grassroots" type campaigns that are going to do anything at a national level. There's too much money and special interests involved for most citizens at this point. I mean, let's face it - any natural born citizen is allowed to run for President at 35, but you're not getting elected unless you're well into your 40s, you have had national presence for a number of years, and you're extremely well-backed. Even Senate seats require more than "someone who just wants to be involved".

If someone were outraged enough at the current situation to get up and do something about it, even someone highly motivated, it would take years, luck and swallowing some pride/principals, and a few votes for special interests to even get into the position where you could attempt to bring about some kind of change. Sounds to me like that's how a few start out, but by the time they get to Washington, they see things differently. And that's unfortunate.

4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I said nothing about SF -- that was Acree :D

If there is a revolution, I sure hope it's not televised.

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

And that is exactly the kind of thinking/feeling/belief that is paralyzing voters. No, if you get involved today at the local level, you won't have a legitimate shot at national office in 2012. Grass roots efforts are for the long haul. We have to groom a new type of public servant to run for office and that is not an overnight process.

Few people are willing to start at the bottom of building a new political system knowing that they may not see the payoff in their lifetime. But we HAVE TO start somewhere, sometime. Why not now?

6. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.-Greek Proverb

The truth is, a large portion of us are far too busy working our asses off just to survive. We have no time for revolution because the bills have to get paid.

7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Too busy to become a small-town city council member? Or a zoning board member? Here in WP most all their meetings are in the evening.

8. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

It's time to relieve the federal government of most of its power/spending, by burdening the local governments with funding and implementing social programs or "safety net" programs. It's the single largest expenditure of our federal government at $776 billion per year, even though the way they break it down on the pie charts makes it look differently. (They categorize welfare/food stamps/unemployment under "Safety Net, and Medicaid/CHIP under Medicare despite the recipients of both being the underprivileged)

If the onus was on LOCAL governments to run the social programs, voters could directly impact their level of participation in the handouts. And if they didn't like the program they could move to a district with lesser hand out taxes, or choose to donate money through charities. Our federal government would then be able to concentrate on stuff like balancing their check book, without fear of losing the voting base. The fed needs to butt out of the social agenda.

9. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

When most of your tax money goes to the federal government (most of whom you'll never be able to vote on) what's the point? The fed has too much power.

10. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Perhaps the single largest flaw of humanity is the complete lack of long-term foresight. Humans think five years is looking far ahead and a couple of decades is downright futuristic. A truy evolved, intelligent species would plan thousands of years into the future and be willing to make the necessary near-term sacrifices to achieve the ultimate goal. Instant gratification and greed are the drivers of our inablility to break the heartbreaking and predictable human cycles that we are powerless to break free from. We really suck.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Didn't you guys do this in the 60's?

Wait, that means the current crop of politicians is all the hippies fault!

12. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Now that's the attitude that has made this country what it is today! :rolleyes:

13. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Yes. Between running a company, being a father, being a husband, being a CMRA board member, and serving as a board member for a start up, I am at capacity.

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Mmmmmmmmm, no. A lot of people TALKED about it (not me, I didn't become politically active until the `70's) but that's about the extent of it.

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Glad you are willing to bitch but not change what you are bitching about Mr. Corder.

We ALL can make excuses for doing nothing.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So the hippies were totally ineffective? Why do they keep talking then?

17. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

EVERYBODY keeps talking about the world THEY want to see.

18. woodyracing

yeah see I could not possibly disagree with that more. People in this day and age have more influence than the average person 100 years ago could possibly imagine thanks to modern technology. You could spend a day writing a blog, youtube video, emailing congress members, state officials, etc, posting on forums, social networking sites, you could even write an opinion piece to send into hundreds of newspapers around the country and probably get one published somewhere, etc... and have your ideas reach thousands or even millions of people without having to leave your house. There are easily hundreds of government officials' offices' phone numbers that are publicly available that you can call with your opinions/ideas. You might not change the world but if everyone that complains about the government really tried to get their voice out there, THAT would bring about change. You are right that you're not going to go from average person #3 to President of the United States in a short period of time but you still have the ability to influence.

Back in the day, how many people could you realistically get your opinion to? Maybe if you were educated and could write, you could send some letters. MAYBE if they were extremely well written get something published (unlikely). How many people are reading my post right now?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  19. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

Panther, the local government has been stripped of all power but freaking zoning, around here. Forget local; come out swinging in a state election!

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I started as a neighborhood association officer in Fort Worth. Then ran for city council out here. Then joined the VFD when I realized I could do more for my community there than I could as the sole liberal on a council packed with an entrenched, moss-back, anti-growth, anti-business, let the landowners pay for it all, that's-how-we've-always-done-it council. Now I just campaign for the next naive optimist to come along with a plan, zeal and determination.

You have to understand that when the Parker County Democratic Party has their bi-annual meeting, it is held in an abandoned phone booth. And every time I mention Libertarian, folks give me directions to the East Parker County Library...