1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death of Dale Earnhardt

Discussion in 'General' started by WERA476, Feb 19, 2001.

1. WERA476

WERA476 Well-Known Member

I've always been a big fan of NASCAR, but was never a big Earnhardt fan. Love him or hate him though the man could flat out drive and race with the best of them be it NASCAR, IROC or the Rolex. He had a huge impact on his sport and I only hope that some day someone may do the same for ours the way he did his. My prayers are out to him and his family, from one racer to another. "The Intimidator", "The Man in Black" gone but not forgotten.

Chris Stevenson
    #476 Expert

2. aip

aip Well-Known Member

We were at the dealer show yesterday watching the race at the Parts Unlimited Trailer. When the crowd saw he had crashed most erupted with applause. One person sitting in front of me even said F*CK Earnhardt. Like 476 I was not an Earnhardt fan persay. I loved watching the guy race he gave it everything he had. I can't believe I have to talk about him in the past tense.

It is truly a sad day in motorsports. It is tradgedies like this, that keep motorsports from joining the mainstream.

FOX worked so hard yesterday trying to show how safe the sport has become. The Tony Stewart crash proved that and went a long way to changing America's Peception. Then with one seemingly innocent accident America has another reason to turn their nose up at motorsports.

GODSPEED MR EARNHARDT YOU WILL BE MISSED.

3. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

I posted this in another thread but will ask the same question here.

Dr. Jerry Punch stated after the accident that despite Earnhardt's death "NASCAR is the safest form of racing in the world."

It's been almost seven years since Senna and Ratzenberger were killed on the same weekend in F1 and I consider open wheel formula racing to have much more potential for disaster than Stock Cars.

NASCAR has now had three fatal accidents in less than 12 months. How can it possibly be the safest form of racing?

I need some to remind me (seriously) of the last fatality in WSB or FIM GP racing. What was the last fatality in any Pro series motorcycle road racing event?

Like every one else I wish God's speed to Dale but let's not forget the family he left behind.

God's blessings on Teresa, Dale Jr. and the rest of the Earnhardt family.

Rich

4. wera122

wera122 Guest

The last fatality I remember was Jamie Bowman at Laguna last year. It was the result of an unprotected concrete wall and a tragic loss.

Whether you're a fan of a particular form of racing or not, it's still a sad day in motorsports when we lose such a dedicated competitor, whether they were a well known champ or not. Godspeed to all racers we've lost recently.

Now as far as any form of racing being "the safest" there will always be fatalities. It's just the nature of the beast. You can implement all the safety procedures and devices you want, but the harsh reality is that racing is a dangerous sport. We all love it and assume the risk. True, it has gotten safer every year and I'm thankful that all racing organizations are looking out for our safety as racers and fans, but the risk is still there.

When you take the time to mourn the loss of a racer, make sure you take time to cherish their accomplishments and contributions to racing, as well as the community and remember they died doing something they loved. If I had my choice, I'd rather go doing something I loved than suffer a long drawn out illness. [​IMG]

5. backdraftmoto

backdraftmoto I make Nissan trucks...

Jamie Bowman....2000 AMA

6. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

Thanks. I had forgotten about Jamie's accident. I guess what I was shooting for was this. Motorcycles are perceived as being highly dangerous and those of us who race them as being a couple sandwiches short of a picnic.

All forms of racing are dangerous. That's what makes them so exciting. It's odd though that bikes tend to produce few fatalities on the race track. Granted the speeds are not as great and are not sustained for as long a period of time. However, we are far less protected. We get hurt a lot more often when we do crash but this may be a determining factor. I used to race formula fords and there was a feeling of being shielded by the car. If you lost control you would just spin off and hopefully not hit anything. (i.e. there was a MUCH bigger margin of error). I'm not afraid of coming off the bike but I think most of us are aware that the margin of error is much more slim and we respect that. That's another thing that has drawn me to racing bikes. You must be much more respectful of them and it takes both courage and skill to extract the last 10/10th out of them.

7. Andy Bankston

Andy Bankston DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?

Well I guess I am the first one to post on this topic who is... was a Dale Earnhardt fan. But as it was mentioned before, love him or hate him, you must without a doubt respect him for what he has done for NASCAR and motorsports in whole. NASCAR lost one of, if not THE greatest driver it ever had, motorsports lost one of its greatest spokesmen, racing lost one of its greatest competitors, and the Earnhardt family lost a great Husband, Father, and friend. I for one will run a small number 3 on my windscreen for the remainder of the year, to remind me to remember what's important in racing and life, and not to take anything we have for granted. I encourage all of you to do the same. God bless the Earnhardt family, our prayers are with you.

8. Janie McCommons

Janie McCommons Well-Known Member

For once, I am speechless....

9. LJ

LJ New Member

I've been a Dale Earnhardt fan all my life and actually cried when I found out he had died.

Andy has a good idea and I intend to display the #3 as well in my own way.

God bless you Dale. You gave your life for the sport that so many of us enjoy. You will be missed.

10. Janie McCommons

Many people from "up north" I'm sure will find this statement rediculous, but I feel like I'm sure a lot of people felt when Elvis died. In the south, NASCAR is so very popular that the drivers are true celebrities. Yesterday, I was at home alone, doing laundry and watching the race. I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Jeff is not as into NASCAR as I am, so he was off riding dirtbikes. I saw the big 18-car pile-up and was amazed that no one was hurt. On the last lap when Earnhardt hit the wall, it was a wreck I've seen a hundred times. I really didn't consider that it could be anything more than a slight head injury, broken ankle & collarbone. That's the way it always is. Usually, it takes a while to cut the driver out of the car, so I was not alarmed that it took some time to get him out. I was shocked, heartbroken and sickened when I found out that we had lost the most influential, charismatic, talented, most successful race car driver in the history of the sport. A legend in anyone's time. By any standards. Like him or not, he made NASCAR more exciting and more interesting by merely showing up at the track. At the same time, I cannot imagine that he would want to go out any other way than doing what he loved to do. It's hard to imagine him ever voluntarily retiring and getting old gracefully. Stock car racing will never be the same. Godspeed, Dale.

I guess I wasn't so speechless after all!!

11. Vetrider

Vetrider Active Member

I can't remember the last time I turned the TV on to watch a NASCAR race and was not interested in how Dale Sr was doing. It's almost the same watching Dale Jr. But now there will be a big void in NASCAR racing for me.
    Love him or hate him, he was "THE MAN".

God Speed to you Dale Sr and God Bless to your family and friends.

12. TONY #20

TONY #20 Well-Known Member

I would like to say from one race family to another, god bless.... As we mourn the loss of a NASCAR great, lets remember he died doing what he loved, just as Jamie Bowman and Joey Dunlop...There is never an easy way to over come great losses, however we can remember each of them for unbelievable talents....

Tony & Amy Dunham

13. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Well, I'm not from the South, and I'm not a NASCAR fan, but I am a big Earnhardt fan (I caught the bug a few years ago from a friend). This makes me realize that Earnhardt was bigger than NASCAR. I like the idea of wearing a #3 somewhere on the bike this year. Thanks.

14. Janie McCommons

When they had the press conference this afternoon, I was at my dad's fab shop. It was creepy that in a place that is usually deafeningly loud, all I could hear was the voice of Bill France on the radio. Ten welders and myself stood motionless as we heard Mr. France, the trauma Dr., Michael Waltrip and others make statements about the tragedy. I still just can't believe it.

15. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

This sums up my feelings exactly. When I did watch a NASCAR race, I was really watching Dale. If he went out of the race, I usually turned it off. I have been an Earnhart fan since about '85. I've never been to a Winston Cup race, but always wanted to see at least one. Now, I feel a little less like going to one... I thought earlier about putting a 3 on my bike, good idea..

Godspeed and thanks.

16. MikeM

MikeM Well-Known Member

We've all lost a brother. And this proves that it doesn't matter what you race, Racing is the biggest Family sport. We all feel it, and it hurts...3

17. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

I too, am a big NASCAR fan, have been for as long as I can remember. I have always liked, even loved, racing something, or watching it. Dale was someone who commanded respect whether you liked him or not. I used to not like him at all, along with a few other drivers. But in recent years, had grown to like him more, respect him more, just simply give him the "Hey, this guy is good" respect that he has definitely earned. No, I didn't like it when he bumped guys out, wrecked them, whatever, especially when it was my favorite driver, but he was quick to tell you, "That's Racing". As I'm sure most of you have heard, his wife Teresa did alot for him in his life to help change his bad boy image, even though he was still known as "The Intimidator". He always will be known as that. It just seemed like she had settled him down a little over the years. He was a good guy that most of us never knew, or saw that side of him. So, as was mentioned by others before, keep her and their young daughter, and the other grown children and the rest of the family in your prayers.

18. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

God speed to Dale. Racing for third with your son in second and your other car in first, there are a lot of worse ways to go.

I hope he is up there rapping with the lesser known but still missed brothers from our ranks. Eric Benias (Sorry if I missed on the spelling) comes to mind.