Dave K, I owe you an apology

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Nov 5, 2023.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

My youngest son Colton decided he wanted to play Lacrosse.

this sport is awesome.

now I’ve just gotta learn it.
    He’s currently playing in his first tournament.

Jed likes this.
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nice! How old is he? What team is he playing for?
    Get yourself a stick and learn to pass and catch. It’s addictive and you’ll end up killing hours a week throwing with him. :)

Raceless man likes this.
  3. Robby-Bobby

Yea I can already tell.

he’s doing well but the coordination isn’t there yet. He’s playing U10

his first stick I think was junk not I got him one with a real net thing.

he hasn’t mastered accuracy yet and his catching coordination needs work.

he can kick a soccer ball and throw a football so I’m sure he will get it, it’s just new.

most importantly he’s loving it so I don’t really care

YamahaRick and bullockcm like this.
  4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

U10? A few off the shelf sticks I can recommend for him is the ECD Bravo 1 ($99 and great from jump street), Stringking complete 2 (int or snr Around $150) or once he’s passing well, an ecd rebel O cf5.
    I think you can get them at Dicks or direct.
    There are cheaper sticks but avoid them. Too many compromises that’ll make learning harder. He doesn’t need a $250 to $300 stick, that’ll come with time.
    Feel free to ask questions. I’ll help however I can. :)

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

@Robby-Bobby , if you're trolling, I'm sending a lunch for everyone at your folks' shop tomorrow.

rd400racer, TurboBlew, cBJr and 5 others like this.
  6. Robby-Bobby

well I just learned from coach that the reason he’s struggling with passing and accuracy was his stick net was too deep apparently.

so he’s like send it to someone and have them adjust it so I just taught myself in between games and coach said it’s way better.

We shall see.

7. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

He's almost certainly serious. Very supportive of his kids. This shit is like the zombie apocalypse. Dave K is patient zero and he's gleefully infecting the teeming masses.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I just dug around my gear box thinking I might have a decent head and shaft I could mail down but everything I have is illegal for youth or is too specialized (fogo heads or strung for box) or set up with way too much whip for a little dude.
    I’ll dig around after my youth clinic this afternoon. Might still find something. :)

9. Robby-Bobby

Wish i were, and as much shit as I talked I was 100% wrong.
    I love the aggressive play.

very entertaining.

10. Robby-Bobby

lol as a parent it sucks because I want him to love the stuff I love, but I enjoy learning new sports, I just hate not immediacy being an expert. Lol

Gino230, BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:D
    A brother can dream. :)

You and the boy have fun!

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  12. Robby-Bobby

Tell ya what, we can still buy each other lunch. I’ll need help with yours but I’m easy.

13. Robby-Bobby

Little disappointed in myself.

there’s a tournament and before the first game was over I’ve gone through my snacks and drinks.

Shenanigans likes this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There’s more than a few hiding in the shadows that have gotten hooked the last year or two. :D

One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble. :D

15. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Great sport. Our oldest played for 8 seasons or so, he had wheels for middie and was great in that spot. However, he was an even better goalie so played about 6 seasons in goal. Which was better cause' his endurance was crap lol. It was always fun when he'd leave goal and run one in then full field sprint back to goal though. He was always the fastest kid on the field.

Enjoy the time out there! Summer sweat tournaments lol.

BigBird likes this.
  16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Just don't end up on your foundations board of directors like some other asshole I know...

Jed likes this.
  17. Jed

Jed mellifluous

One of us! One of us!

Just finished us a season as assistant director to a 2nd year girls program here in ATL. The boys side has been strong for 10 years.

Guessing your son is Walking Helmets or is that Bantam?

Don't bother reatringing the stick if it's a starter pack version. Keep the short shaft and buy a decent pre strung head.

@DaveK. Bought a head from the guy who runs the program. He gets them from the UVA stringer. Freaking incredible channel in it.

Also the guy played in the 60+ bracket on an old UMass team last week in Hawaii. We need an old guy WERA team.

18. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Mine's football ended last night, and he's got a LAX camp/clinic at the high school next Saturday. I'll sign him up for the one on the 24th too.

DaveK helped me a lot as well with initial equipment setup and purchases, too. I call it "Grass Hockey".

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My coaching stick is a mess for anyone else to use. No hold, no whip, a pocket with no channel and a shallow pocket all in a head that’s too narrow for legal play. I can place the ball exactly where I want it but tops out mid 60s. :D. I don’t need more.
    My gamer was a whippy, channeled mess that you had to use 100% all the time even to pass. : crackup:

and yeah, I thought I was off the board for the local rec but I was told today I was voted on again.

20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I think I'm on the board now. The head tossed me a nice polo one day for a head shot from a photog they had shooting practice. The next day I was chatting with the photog and he said he was "taking pictures of current board members and a few that don't know they are on the board yet."

I frigging love this sport.