1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D-air suit or Alpinestars Tech-Air bag suit???

Discussion in 'General' started by throwdown, Oct 20, 2016.

1. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

So I'm sitting here missing the GNF due to a demolished(fractured in 4 places) collarbone injury, and wondering if I should do the Dainese or the Alpinestars airbag suit. And before any ppl wanna say blah blah blah about preventing an injury I know it's not a 100% guarantee that the airbag will prevent the injury, but it damn sure will cut the chances down. I work with my hands and to be able to race, having an airbag suit makes me feel better. Full disclosure I was wearing a Taichi T-RAPS airbag suit when this happened and the tether pulled and the bag didn't deploy, so needless to say I'm NEVER using it again. I really like the suit, but after this I'm not taking the chance, and I've had this suit long before you could get the D-air suit or else I would've purchased the Dair to begin with. The Tech-Air suit looks to be recently available as an add on to one of their suits, I haven't checked availability yet for it though. So beeb what say you? Anyone here use the Tech air yet?

2. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

not sure but AFAIK the Tech Air system isn't out yet (or hasn't been available in the US?). The only options I am aware of at this point (like if you are buying today) are the D Air and the tethered systems. I didn't see the crash (practice) but was Pedrosa wearing the Astars airbag at the time of his crash? I heard it was huge but didn't see video of it yet.

3. throwdown

It was an alpinestars, same as Jlo in 2012, the tech air suit is available on sportbiketrackgear for $1350, without the Tech Air vest. The vest that integrates into the suit is supposed to be available now, but I haven't seen it for sale yet, it's on alpinestars website, so I assume it should be here soon. As far as cost I would assume somewhere around $1500 for the vest. Personally I like the Alpinestars better because it covers more of your upper body with airbags. I'm going to email them to see if they have a firm release date.

4. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

The results of the only crash I've had wearing my d-air suit. Not sure what the results would have been like without it but my thoughts were the same as yours in that it could save me from taking time off work. If you can afford one, do it.
    [​IMG]

5. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Broome does NOT approve of the one screw misplacement

SpeedyE and Gorilla George like this.
  6. DWhyte91

I had to ask what that one was doing there, it's holding the bone together. It's healing well and I hope I get to keep an awesome scar.

MELK-MAN and throwdown like this.
  7. throwdown

Mine looks similar to that I suck at posting pics but I'll try, mine was a low side, what was yours?

8. helicopter99

helicopter99 Well-Known Member

I have one, and raced in one all year. Fit and quality was beyond compare. I didn't have an off so it never deployed. What I didn't like about it, and some are small nit pics. The USB port to charge the suit is right where the hanger comes across so you have to take it off the hanger to charge it. Or you can leave it on the hanger but then there is tension on the plug. The software, for me at least, is all but useless due to it's complexity. The LED in the arm that shows if it's good to go or not comes out of the pocket. I gave up on putting it back in so now I'm just guessing if it's charged or not. Small complaint, the hanger is cheap and flimsy. After first trip, I opened the trailer door to find our suits on the floor, the hook straightened out from the trailer ride. I went to pick it up and the plastic broke. And probably my biggest complaint is their POS back protector. I bought a better back protector back in 1993. Others have had a long wait time and high prices to fix once the sent their suits in to the California shop for repack and repair. You have no say so about what they replace, it's what they deem necessary. After all that though, I will buy another because I think that even without the airbag system it's one of the best suits you can buy and if the air bag saves one injury, for me it's totally worth it. Dainese has some fine tuning to do for sure but I think the suit is worth it.

9. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

They're releasing a newer version of the DAir soon called the mugello R, it has a redeveloped airbag where it extends down towards the ribs. It's gonna cost some extra coin compared to the current misano DAir, which you can get for 2k if you know where to look. I was originally going to get the misano but realized that it's cowhide and not roo, ended up getting the trickster instead. My next suit I'll probably do a made to measure Mugello R as opposed to off the rack, the 54 I'm in is perfect everywhere except the sleeves are a little too long and the midsection too baggy.

10. throwdown

I'll look into the mugello R, thanks for the info.

11. ljuice26

ljuice26 Well-Known Member

Dair over everything.

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. throwdown

Looks like that Mugello R won't be available til next spring, I'll contact them directly just like Alpinestars and see if they have firm release dates for availability

13. DWhyte91

14. jmaher

jmaher Well-Known Member

I have a D-Air and did have a big crash in it this past August. I have no doubt that the suit saved me from a trip to the surgeon. I was completely fine. I raced the next day in my old suit, felt naked, so bought a second D-Air as a back up. I'm 54 y/o and realize I probably don't heal like I used to. The money spent was far cheaper than co-pays, time off work, and the issue of not being able to use an arm for 6 weeks. I know there are no guarantee's, but I feel this is good insurance.

Joe

15. throwdown

Alpinestars says the tech air will likely be available here around springtime, they'll know more at the beginning of the year, since I won't need it yet I think I'll wait til the new year and see what's what. I'll probably end up with the D-air since it's available.

16. D-Air. That is all.

I've been racing in them since 2012 and won't race in anything else.

17. throwdown

That looked pretty fast, mine was slow, I had just passed a guy on the outside of a right hander, set up for an immediate left, started to turn in and next thing I remember I'm on the ground with the wind knocked out if me. Stood up and the guy I passed said I took him out, not sure what happened so I apologized, but I think I passed him closer than I thought I was and when I tipped into the left hander my rear tire contacted the front of his bike.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

How did yours perform in your crash the other day? Have to use the backup now?

19. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

What back protector and chest protector are you using with it? The one they ship with it is a pain (single clasp type thin waist strap and that's it)!

20. It would have performed great....if I had remembered to charge it. :rolleyes:

It didn't blow up because I forgot to charge it and it wasn't activated.

But yeah, I've got a couple of spares.