1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cylinder Head something new!!

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Vinny337, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

2. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

Over tightening, cross threading, accident.

R&R engine, remove head, time sert, weld up drill and re-tap, three options for you. All of which suck

3. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Fourth option: find a good used engine. Which also sucks.

Oh wait, guess that is what you meant by 'r&r engine'...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  4. Vinny337

Thanks "T", It souds like the motor is the easiest way to solve this.

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

We do time serts in cars all the time, namely the ford 2v 5.4's. Any reason you cant do it on the bike other than space requirements? Yea, I know a little metal is going to get into the cylinder but I guess thats a chance we take on that. Grease the tap and blow/ vacuum as much out as possible.

6. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

On a 5.4 Ltr V8, that chip is probably not much bigger than what gets left in there by Ford now and then. But on 4 cyl. m/c motor, that chip may be bigger than the squish clearance, and would do all sorts of damage getting pounded between the exhaust valve and seat trying to get out of the motor. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

7. Vinny337

My buddy suggested the same exact thing when I told him I need a new motor. Might be worth a try, if it doesn't next option.

+1 we'll give it a shot and see how things work out.

8. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Grease on the tap and a vac cleaner on the intake with the intake valves slightly open...
    Oh, and a timesert/keensert will end up with better threads than the stock threaded aluminum.
    Hell, I've done heli-coils in spark plug holes that lasted decades.

9. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

a Q-tip with grease on it works well for that last little bit....

10. Vinny337

Great advice here!! much appreciated...

11. Handicapped Racer

Well if that's the way you wanna go, I'll buy that motor and good luck finding a 08 non stolen motor at a decent or cheap price.

He'll when you find one ill come to Njmp and switch it out for you. For that motor ...... Deal...........thanks call me when you're ready

Note R&R mean remove and reinstall

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  12. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I guess but alumn. is pretty soft and a chip is going to get heated up really quickly and likely melt. I know if it were mine i'd try it like that first. If you have SOME threads left and the rest are buggered up they make a revese tap that you stick through the hole, tighten up like an exhaust expander and reverse the tap tool out to cut new threads using the existing as a guide.

13. Vinny337

Spitz,
    Thanks for the advice, do think we need to drop the motor, remove the cover and not the cylinder head for this process? Newb question Thanks

14. Vinny337

Ha, I think I may be alright here, I have an 06 and there seem to be an unlimited supply. Thanks anyway

15. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Leaded fuels can also cause this from the deposits.

16. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Leave the valve cover if you aren't removing the head. You won't gain enough room to justify removing it and it will keep aluminum shavings out of the top end.

It's the end of the season, just drop the engine out, fix the head, and do a refresh on the rest of the engine. You've got a minor issue on an otherwise perfectly good engine. Buying a used replacement might get you a new set of problems.( I bought one that ended up having spun rod bearings on two rods)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  17. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

T if its a 08 gsxr 600. I have a legit motor in the garage I would be willing to sell.

18. Handicapped Racer

Yep Bad advice here..... nothing personal Just being honest.

19. Handicapped Racer

Oh Crap I thought you still had the 1k lmao!

20. Handicapped Racer

how much do you want for that blickie?