Custom tune or ZAFM ??

Discussion in 'General' started by cbr_900, Jun 7, 2011.

1. cbr_900

cbr_900 Active Member

Hi all,

I`m just wondering how accurate is the Zafm compared to a custom tune.
    Are these ZAFM units that accurate or just an add on to work after a custom tune .
    I find it hard to believe that a 200 dollar piece would be as good or better than a custom tune on a very expensive dyno ..
    How would you know that the map made by the ZAFM is even accurate if your bike has never been tuned properly to start with ? Opinions please ..

2. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

My guess is the autotune stuff is designed for customers who want to upgrade their bike's performance without the hassle of tuning. A "plug in and go" part is very appealing to riders who arent racing their machines. If you are racing or taking your bike to the track, the custom tune is going to be the best option in most cases.

3. mountain lion

mountain lion Well-Known Member

A dyno is using a wideband sensor just like the auto tune modules. I'd say they are just as accurate if not more, especially if the dyno is just using a sniffer down the exhaust rather than in an O2 bung. You also get the benefit of accounting for real time temperature/elevation changes with the autotuners.

4. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I think an actual pro can clear all this up...
    but the AFM unit isn't always on, always adjusting like a true closed-loop system. You have to program it by doing some full throttle runs, and it creates a map. I'd guess that it also doesn't really do much for part-throttle mapping, which a true custom tune would get you.