1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CR35's on an FZR400

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by vance, Oct 8, 2017.

1. vance

vance *

Anyone ever run 35 CR Special round slides on an FZR400? I'm aware of tuning issues once changed from stock. Just looking at my options for next year.

2. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I've had 32mm flatslides on a true 400 and 33s on a.460 but never as big as 35. Nor any Mikuni carbs on anything.

3. vance

vance *

Yeah, I'm thinking they're too big. They're currently two sets on two EX525's

4. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Generally the 35mm were not mounted until displacement hit about 600. That is the stock size for a YZf600.

5. vance

vance *

It was wishful thinking. I kind of figured they were too big. Thanks for all the replies.

6. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I ran FCR 33's on my 1mm over 400 built by Bee Johnson

7. vance

vance *

Along the same line of questioning, "optimal vs pretty damn close?". We swapped 39's and 35's on an EX540 and gained 1/2 hp. Same day, same dyno, multiple runs, just enough time to swap the carbs and do some jetting between runs. I just stuck the 39's back on, even though they're too big, they came on the bike and I figure it's close enough.

Anyway, the point of this thread is if I choose to sell both EX525's next year, I thought I would keep the 4 carbs and set them up on the 400. Might be good enough, but definitely won't be optimal.
    Edit: Probably better off selling thew two sets of 35's and getting a proper set if I choose to keep the 400

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  8. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

The real question is what throttle bodies will fit the fzr

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

2nd gen R6 throttle bodies can be respaced and shoved in there. Primary challenge is clearance for the throttle cable pulley setup on the end of the rack instead of being in the middle ala stock / FCRs. I want to say someone has managed to make some year of ZX6 units work as well.

I've been poking at this idea ever since getting a pile of FZR parts to start a bike with. This is what got me curious:

YZF600R with 2nd gen R6 throttle bodies and a Microsquirt controlling things. The YZF600R head and FZR head share the same intake spacing. FZR intakes are easier to adapt 'cause they are a clamp to setup instead of being a combo flange and boot like the YZF600R. In any case, looking at how the 2nd gen throttle bodies are designed, I think I'd almost explore the idea of having someone make custom TBs to accept FCR slides and throttle rod hardware, with the simple injector ports ala the R6 bits instead of bowls. Fuel pump is left as an exercise to the builder, on a 1WG you could have someone make a custom tank that directly accepts the R6 in tank pump assembly, there are external setups off some Honda quads that would do the trick as well.

The tricky part, as always is the electronics. As demonstrated above you can start from scratch with a Microsquirt system. My theory was to reuse the 2nd gen R6 bits instead. The crank trigger would need to be trimmed to match the R6's pattern. The valve cover would need to be drilled and milled a bit to accept the cam position sensor, as the trigger wheel isn't present on FZR cams I was going to position it over an exhaust lobe and wire in a TTL inverter to mimic the signal. The other sensors are easy to setup in the appropriate places. For tuning, go easy mode and use a PC5 and if it's adjustment range isn't enough use an aftermarket pressure regulator to drop the pressure or find the next lower rate injector to swap. Doing a YEC/FT ECU reflash allows for some additional tuning including rev limit lowering (my machine is set to stop around 14k) and timing curve tweaking.

Now that I own a 2nd gen R6... I don't know if I want all that extra plumbing and wiring and packaging cluttering up my otherwise simple machine. :D I've been using an Technology Elevated SmartCarb on my motard and quite like it. It's simple (refinement of a Lectron single circuit design), works well, has some ability to compensate for temperature / pressure changes like EFI, and does a really good job at EFI quality or better atomization. They have side pull models that are suitable for rack conversion but none in the right size range yet.

Given Sudco isn't actually importing FCR carb racks any more, and my rack was thrashed well before I started adding miles to it... I'm ultimately going to have to figure something out sooner rather than later.

10. notbostrom

Wow nice to know I'm not the only one who's put way to much though into it

11. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

I ran FCR33s on mine and they were awesome !!!

35s seem a bit big to me on a 400.

12. vance

vance *

It's a learning process. I'm constantly buying old bikes tucked away in garages and I've finally figured out that just because someone threw a bunch of cool parts on a bike doesn't necessarily make it fast. Selling a lot of stuff but want to keep the cool parts if they'll actually work. I don't see 35's working. Ive got an EX540 with 39's on it for crying out loud. Direct swap with 35's produced an additional HP and I think even 35's are too much for the EX.

13. notbostrom

Vance you going to make Daytona?

14. vance

vance *

Will know in about 2 hours :beer:
    Shop just called and they're about to put my EX500 on the dyno. If it survives, I'll be up there Saturday :D

15. vance

vance *

It's a go :beer:
    I'll be up Saturday.

16. notbostrom

Bring rain tires.. o nevermind I've seen you haul ass on Dot's

17. vance

vance *

Say it ain't so! Haven't checked the weather. Also there an open garage, someone can't make it. Need to grab that