1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Ben Shapiro's show yesterday covered this. He made some great points, but I think the largest one is... if you INSIST on being called "Doctor", you're an ass. Even if you've got a med degree (his wife does), if you correct people when they call you "Mr" or "Mrs", then you're a pompous, arrogant ass.

Now, can we get back to what this thread is actually about? :D

BigBird and BHP41 like this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

That I can get with.

3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

No, I'm suggesting that some folks maybe are not quite grasping the perspective of the two words. Implies is an active word, the speaker or writer of the content suggests or hints at something that is not explicitly stated or written. Infers is a passive word, where the listener or reader deduces a meaning, draws an inference from the content of the communication. Pitcher, catcher. Transmitter, receiver. Creation, reaction. Implies, infers.

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:crackup: That's the funniest thing I've read today.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Jane, go back to school.....leave this to the grownup umky.

Only the sender can tell you the implied message. Thru a survey, research, observation ANYONE can tell you how a message was received.

as we’ve seen with all of the virtue posturing. It’s the received message that counts.

7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

8. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

You don't have to agree with me. You can look it up. Thank you for the slut remark, that was lovely.

9. britx303

Im just seeing the Dr. title debate in the news. Apparently its about "womens empowerment"??????? Yes/No?

10. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

it’s about all the special groups who need to “feel” important

11. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Anything that can be sexist/misogynist/racist/*ist/*phobe, will be when it comes to the MSM. Well, at least if your skin pigmentation is of the lighter color.

britx303 and baconologist like this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well shit, it never occurred to me that Martin Luther King actually studied medicine.
    Now that's something I definitely agree with.

13. britx303

Oh I totally get that aspect of it. Its the irony of some of the comments from MO, im seeing about it now. They just had all the Rankin/Suffragette/Womens rights displays trashed at the dome,stating its no longer signifigant. Serious shit is happening. :(

14. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

You are incorrect. As in my example from Merriam-Webster, infer can also be active, as in you are inferring that I am incompetent.

15. britx303

Sad and true. What does this have to do with covid? Everything. The anti-muricans in khan griss and their media have done nothing but use the virus as their tool to further destroy the economy, erase american history, turn ourselves on each other even more, and ultimately elevate a very racist organisation that has higher ups that were busted trying to do the same thing that McVeigh did, but to the US Capitol building, but because they arent white, they are heroes?????. Of course Slick Willy let the main trash out on his last day. Go on......google it. America seriously needs to get over this horrible case of apathy........not covid19. Im not at liberty to say more in depth, but damn, people need to start connecting the dots to see whats happening here. It may be easier for me because of location, I get that...........but damn........what the hells wrong with america?

16. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

The point is, I am not going to infer anything out of thin air. There must be data to deduce from... I don't think you're incompetent, I think you're stubborn.

17. britx303

Stubborn????? Thats 99% of us here. Kinda like the Covid19 survival rate:D

BigBird likes this.
  18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

19. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

I always thought it was an admirable quality to admit you were wrong gracefully. Infer can be active, hence “suggest” or “hint” as synonyms . Not the most common usage, but still acceptable. Look it up, the information is out there.

20. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

If that was an elegant rebuke or chastisement, you missed the mark, although I appreciate the effort. Hanging your hat on the fourth definition of a word is a pointless errand. Certainly in this arena. Unless your motive is to be right, and miss true communication in the process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.