1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Congrats to the AMA guys... Oh Wait.

Discussion in 'General' started by nikk777, May 13, 2013.

1. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

Damn it! I've been here way too long.

2. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that I think it makes the AMA look bad. Am I the only one who thought it was a little ridiculous a few years ago when the winner of the Daytona 200 (billed as "The Most Prestigious Race in America!") showed up at a club race two weeks later, complete with Angry Race Dad? It was great for the club, it was great for the guys who were there to watch, but it kinda made the AMA look bush league.

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

You and me both, brother. :crackup:

:beer:

One thing about, not much of what I wrote above applies to the guys doing the vintage thing. Average on that side of the paddock seems to be much longer.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Talking to a lot of people over the year the reasons for attrition are pretty varied and being slow isn't usually one of them although I'm sure it helps some. Mainly it's money, family, job, overall responsibilities that have riders stop coming out. Winning a piece of engraved wood doesn't really mean much in the overall equation. Very few rider ever actually win contingency as much as some on here try to make it seem otherwise. Those winning anything are less than 10% of the riders as a whole.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A lot of those guys have raced young, done the family, then come back out to run Vintage.

6. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

Mongo, is spot on on this one. If we had more racers a three tier system would be cool but we don't..... I don't want to race against 4 other guys. And thats what would happen if you broke up the EX group int o a Por-am And Pro group...

Hell it happens now at some of the rounds. Id rather get a 6th against some badasses than 3rd against some regular joes....

just my opinion.

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

BABIES!

You see how many baby threads are on this forum recently?

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Not that I don't believe you, but guys who quit when they realize they're not all that are essentially quitting because their skills don't match their ego. And you can't expect guys with an oversized ego tell you the truth about why they quit.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I agree but when they do get married or do get the real job or do have kids - those are easy to see happen. I'm sure ego plays a part but the real ego ones tend not to make it out of Novice, they disappear in between the seasons and never run with the white plates at all.

You can also pretty easily tell the ego types while they're still Novice.

10. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Pretty much what we were talking about this morning.
    Which guys are the smart ones again? :beer:

11. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

That's me...kinda. I for sure thought it would be easier getting up to speed and was all gungho about getting into racing. I did 25-30 track days my 1st year riding a bike....I just didn't have "it"
    I have huge respect for ya'll, who get out there and do race.

I just can't afford to get injured. Too much at stake with my business responsibilities, mortgage payment yada yada.
    When my brother fugged up his wrist/elbow last year, it put a huge strain on me and the business (we're partners)
    I wouldn't want him or my family to have to deal with me, if I became injured.

Down the road I'll revisit the dream, right now I'm not ready to race.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm confused. Your story doesn't sound like what I described, if you quit because you can't afford to get injured. Doesn't sound like an ego thing to me.

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I'm not sure, is that a trick question?

:D

We need to start interviewing some new lightweight ghetto peeps, Travis and I realized during planning for the next few rounds that everyone is gone.

14. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

:Poke: I'm a Gemini, I just confused myself :eek:

15. I've had a few guys tell me that they were quitting because running around mid pack as an expert wasn't as fun to them as getting podiums as a novice. Im sure those are definitely the minority though.

I suspect that money is the number one reason. It's the reason I haven't been able to race in a few years. If my numbers would have been pulled in the drawing on Saturday, I'd be back on the track at the next WERA or CCS round at BEAVER, VIR, or NJMP. :D