Clive Bundy - Sued

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Jedb, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Oh no, not loose cattle!
    Crime of the century.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

She should win. Hitting a cow is a serious impact and he does have an obligation to keep his cattle off the interstate. If he hadn't made the news earlier this year, this would be a non-story.

4. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

Yes, downplay the seriousness of the matter. :up:

5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

6. In Your Corner

7. Jedb

The cattle are not the problem.

The issue is that after his grandstanding to keep "his" land from the Federal and State Government, he puts the responsibility of land maintenance (fences) on the shoulders of the State.

Which is it? Your land (and your responsibility to maintain) or their responsibility to maintain (and thus their land).

The hypocrisy of his statement is what got me. If it's his land, he needs to take responsibility. If it's the State (or Federal) land, he shouldn't graze his herd.

Sadly, I don't think that the person suing will ever see a dime.

8. In Your Corner

Livestock escapes. There aren't even many farms left around here, and cows and horses still end up on the roads. It's just a fact of life.

9. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

If that was such a nonchalant fact of life, it would not be the top 3 concern of most ranchers I know.

We are not talking about wilfred and dorthy with 10 heads of cattle here.
    100+ heads of cattle can do serious damage.

10. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the land that Bundy is using, even though it has fences, is considered "open range?"

11. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Good question. Open range has signs up. It would be easy to notice that

12. In Your Corner

The lawsuit filed Sunday in Clark County District Court alleges Bundy “recklessly, carelessly and negligently allowed his cows to enter onto Interstate 15 through an area where he had no grazing or other rights.”

How can he be responsible for the fences if they contend he has no grazing rights there?

The crash occurred about 1:15 a.m. on April 14, less than 48 hours after the Bureau of Land Management abandoned its roundup and allowed Bundy to take back his impounded livestock following a tense standoff with the rancher’s supporters, including armed militia members from across the country.

How do they prove those cattle weren't set loose by the government "agents"?

13. In Your Corner

I said it was a fact of life, you added the nonchalant part.
    You going to tell me that they don't escape despite people's best efforts to contain them?
    Shit, a bull is going anywhere he pleases if he gets it in his head.

14. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Funny, we have never had a bull escape the property.
    People make mistakes, animals get out. Does not mean that the owners should not be responsible for the damages done by those animals.

Btw, no bull charges more than about 100 yards. after that, they go where you want them to go.

15. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I don't see how this can even be debated. They're his cows, he has to ensure that they don't cause harm to others' life, limb, or property. If I let my dog loose and he bites a chunk out of the neighbor's ass, I'm liable for that person's hospital bills, and rightfully so. How the hell is a cow any different?

16. Jedb

He's responsible for his livestock. Period.

His livestock, still his responsibility.

17. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

There are lots of open range areas in this country (i.e.; no fences along the roadway), usually posted as such. It is driver's responsibility to be aware and not hit the cows - and often is liable for owner's loss. In this case, not open range, but if it turns out State has responsibility to maintain fences along I-15 ROW (and I bet they do), then it gets blurry. Livestock has the right of way, especially in other countries.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  18. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Actually, Not Always The Case, not as simple as it seems...;)

19. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

on point.

20. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

My dad's team of Haflingers got out 2 years ago at 3 in the morning, woman hit one. Totaled the car, dad had to put the horse down. Now she's sueing him.