1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a TD bike?

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by dave ls1, Nov 3, 2010.

1. dave ls1

dave ls1 Active Member

I'm a newbie who did his first TD last month and I'm looking forward to the next. However, I don't want to risk damaging my street bike (05 F4i) at the track, and I think having that in my head was holding me back from focusing on proper technique. So I'm looking to pickup something for dedicated track duty. I'm only partial to the F4i platform because I'm familiar with it, but my only real requirements are fuel injection and abundant secondhand parts availability. The F4i has been out of production for nearly 5 years and doesn't have a spectacular aftermarket presence. I see mostly Suzuki (GSX-R and SV) and CBR/RR parts and accessories for sale here and elsewhere and wonder if it's worth spending a little bit more money to get into one of those platforms instead. I'm not looking for a specific bike recommendation, just some experience from the track junkies as to whether aiming for the most popular platforms is worth an extra $1000 or so up front.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

get a checkup from the neck up then. If youre only doing track days... use the bike you get the most seat time in. You have insurance on it dont you? Insurance will cover your damages or losses.

3. slower than u

slower than u Well-Known Member

Hard to tak bad about a GSX-R or an SV - both are good platforms and yep ,loads of parts are out there . Getting a bike thats already set up is for sure the way to go, by the time you get a bike and put all the parts on it and drill holes , youve got alot more cashand time in it that if you had jsut gotten one already ready .

4. zook131

zook131 Well-Known Member

As
    As long as you DO NOT tell them the accident happened on a race track.

5. dave ls1

dave ls1 Active Member

I'm not interested in using my street bike for double duty anymore, insurance or not. I have some extra money set aside and I want to spend it on a bike someone has already setup for the track.

I'm also having a hard time finding a track bike in Florida within my budget. Most of the ~$3000 stuff is out of state, increasing the cost (shipping/day trip) and inconvenience. I blame the weather, as we don't have to put em away for winter down here.

6. TurboBlew

if its not a "timed" event... which trackdays qualify as rider training.

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yep...most companies will cover...:up:

8. TurboBlew

not sure where you're looking but theres loads of em.
    The less prep work they need... the more expensive they are. Also the more paperwork they have the more expensive.
    Figure race fairings, rearsets, and other misc crash damage prevention items will run $1300 for just about any bike.

9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Its the end of the season in the mid-atlantic area. There are deals to be had from individuals who are getting out of the sport or who plan to upgrade for next season. So just search this and the various trackday forums for some great deals.

Just a thought, I picked my deal up near Charlotte NC (from Baltimore). Took the wife and kid and made an overnighter out of it. Left on Saturday evening, got a hotel and picked it up Sunday morning. We were home Sunday night. Worth the trip :up:

Or you could have it shipped!

10. dave ls1

dave ls1 Active Member

That timing makes sense and explains the sudden availability, thanks.

I'm not opposed to it, it's just not ideal. Preference first, settle second. A nice gentleman here is willing to meet me half way for a bike and I'm considering it, but also keeping my eyes open for another option.

11. Blue By U

Blue By U Banned