1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap vs expensive brake lever guard

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, Mar 13, 2023.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Need some brake lever guards to get back to racing this year and I've never used one before. Anyone have any experience they'd like to share as to what NOT to get? As far as I can see it seems like a super simple device, but there's some cheapies like oxford or ebay for $40
    [​IMG]
    upload_2023-3-13_10-27-32.png
    or some others from typical name brands I'm familiar with that are $100 more each. I don't care about bling, but does the cheap units have some inherent flaw that I'm missing?

2. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

woodcraft ones have a better design where the clamp goes around the bar, not in it.
    i see the picture one being an issue if the bar end hits the ground

Rene Bucek and TurboBlew like this.
  3. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

I don't like the ones that have an expanding insert. Never feels like you get it tight enough, and then it interferes with the movement of the throttle tube.
    I went with the Woodcraft one myself, and turned down an aluminum bar end on the lathe to size. Think it was about 3/4" diameter. Very robust and will do its job.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I like the woodcraft & vortex clamp type ... I hate the expanding plug types

5. SeventeenRR

SeventeenRR Well-Known Member

I like my evol tech. Insert type, but I have no problem getting it tight enough. Last time I crashed I hit hard enough that it unscrewed my whole bar, lever never moved. The spring is also nice to not get snagged, and I like the shape because I do the screwdriver thing with my palm on it.

6. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I have the Mad Racing one you posted in the 2nd pic. It sees the job. I wanted one that Dios down from the bar because the ones that dint got in the way when blipping the throttle. I'm happy with it

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Coming back from a hiatus, and I remember “talk”of these becoming a mandatory thing. I’m not seeing it in the RB. Are these a requirement now?

8. ungwaha

ungwaha Well-Known Member

With AHRMA yes.

britx303 likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope.

britx303 likes this.
  10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Gotcha, thanks!

11. Rene Bucek

Rene Bucek Well-Known Member

Woodcraft, that's all you need to know.

In all seriousness, they are crashable without shattering, the plastic part can easily be obtained and replaced, not stupid expensive, clamp on rather than expand in.

BrentA likes this.