1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CHASTAIN

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

If you can move people to gain positions or spend while races in two car bumper to bumper draft trains, then surely this HAS to be applauded.

Guessing Martinsville will want a few bucks for the safer barriers though :crackup:

rd400racer likes this.
  2. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

He said post race he shifted to 5th... floored it... and even had his hands off the wheel!!! Just let the car rim ride at full throttle.

Razr likes this.
  3. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

SAFER barriers can take those hits just fine. Some touch up paint and they are good to go.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

He didn't bump people to gain positions, especially while making that move, he did smash into the #6 car at the stripe :crackup:
    From now on that move will have a name....I had to Chastain to win the race.

ducnut and Letitsnow like this.
  5. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

That move will be talked about and be on video clips for many years to come. Not a rule against it at the time it happened but I am sure how to prevent it from happening again was all that was talked about on the NASCAR jets on the flights home for the powers that be.

Kind of a hard spot to make a rule against getting into the wall on the last lap as the interpretation of the rule has the potential to deny a victory for unintentional wall contact.

I just wish that the Wide World of Sports was still in production as it would be great to see the replay at the beginning of each show!!

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

In Gran Turismo we call them "wall riders"

G Dawg likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Maybe, maybe not. That move has people talking about NASCAR that have ignored them for several years.

Boman Forklift and thunderalley3 like this.
  8. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

Here’s every angle with some of the other drivers reactions. Pretty fuckin wild! I’ll never see a off ramp barrier the same way again.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    Razr, SpeedyTide and GixxerJohn011 like this.
  9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Yeah, there's going to be a new rule announced tomorrow, something along the lines of 'no using the wall to advance your position'.

The verb "Chastain" already has a definition. We're going to need a new term.

It's definitely got people who have no interest in the sport talki g about it. Nascar has to be smiling behind closed doors.

10. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Bin it to win it, could become a new strategy! :D

11. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I just found that on youtube and was coming to post it.
    The in car commentary from the guys he passed is hilarious.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  12. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

So those cars have enough muscle to mush themselves across a concrete barrier and rocket pass cars that are unencumbered by massive levels of frictional loss but are simply on a tighter radius?
    No electronics (TC) I'm guessing?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They weren't remotely silent even as it was happening :crackup:

14. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

It's been a while, but I think it happened in TOCA Racer as well.

15. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Unbelievably gutsy move that paid off....10th to 5th on last lap. And, the fact he didn't cream the 4th place car as he came up behind at such a high rate of speed, instead appears he did everything possible to beat Hamlin, yet not crash into the car he came upon. He was all over those brakes coming to the finish. Impressive!

You know there's a rule coming as others here have already stated. As it should.

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yes, they were unrestricted at this race, and any track under a mile, and road courses , where they have around 850hp, super speedways are 450hp.

17. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

The Chastain rimjob

18. auminer

Not concrete. SAFER barrier is square tubular steel backed by tapered Styrofoam blocks to absorb impact energy. I'm guessing it has a much lower coefficient of friction than concrete, but 850 HP and a big brass pair is a big factor, too. :bow::crackup:

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're all painted with the same super thick layers of paint so the coefficient wouldn't be any different.

20. auminer

This sounds like another airplane on a treadmill.

How much of the paint is rubbed off by the front half of the car, exposing the back half of the car to the concrete?