1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't locate the YouTube thread.

Discussion in 'General' started by L8RSK8R, Feb 15, 2022.

1. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I'd love to see and hear musicians on this forum.

Is it possible to link to your YouTube or whaa?

2. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

YT thread fourth one on second page on my phone. Can’t help on linking in your interests…

3. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

4. Addison

Addison Member

Okaaay but if there is any women there I want to dooo them!

5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Welcome to your first drubbing.

6. 27

27 Well-Known Member

might want to post up a “Musicians Amongst Us”
    Thread or something...

I’ve talked to a bunch of BBSers that are music men, some pros, some recreational, all great convos and sharing of music from vids to theory contemplation.

I’ve played violin for nearly 30 years now and used to do vocals for our group. Hard rock/metal/grunge style, definitely not how violins are normally played/heard. We had two guitarists, base, drums and me. They were all pros and half went on to careers in music.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Got any samples online?

You realize you have just invoked the Mad Brad/Jay Barfield/Davie Stone wars.

8. 27

27 Well-Known Member

speaking of Irish and music...

You listen to Fontaines DC?
    Found them on KEXP... from Dublin and pretty good... new hope for Irish rockers for sure...

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Hey @27, when violins are played in modern music aren't they referred to as fiddles?

Asking for a friend. ;)

10. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I don’t but last time I talked to the one that had the original 4 track recordings he said he was going to turn them into MP3s for us...

thanks for tripping that memory... I’ll get ahold of him...

I faintly remember those mullet memoirs...

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's over there...

12. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

3BB87C43-F3E1-43EB-A82B-7601BF1E0964.jpeg

Addison and Phl218 like this.
  13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

:) depends on whose mouth it comes out of...

as an Appalachia hillbilly kid I spent many summers going to bluegrass festivals where it was all fiddles. Charlie Daniels to amateur buskers all called them fiddles.

As an adult going to orchestras to see featured soloists they were always violinists. Not because they were pretentious or snobby I don’t think... many were Russian and mostly Euros so...

then you have the funky looking electronic stick looking things, like Dave Mathews’ guy plays so I don’t know what they call that thing...

usually if it’s blue grass being played it’s a fiddle... classical it’s a violin... my style with one of my acoustic/electric through a big stack and wah pedal with lots of distortion... they usually call that “WTF?” Like did you hear that guy playing?!?.... Wtf? Was that noise?!?” :D

Sabre699 likes this.
  14. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I actually like them in both venues. My favorite has a violin name but plays a fiddle…Katrina Nicolayeff. Her camp summer sessions on the tube are great…especially Arkansas Traveler.

15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

cool, thanks I’ll check it out. As a kid I didn’t even know if it was the same instrument:D

I really like the range of Violas too. A long era Strad is my absolute favorite, not many use them, as there aren’t many around but a few choose them over his Golden Era that nearly every violin has been modeled after with the exact same dimensions for 300 years now...

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

All this violin/fiddle talk got me looking into some of the jazz albums my brother gave me decades ago. Check out Noel Pointer - Phantasia.

27 likes this.
  17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

cool, thanks, I usually like hearing any music with them.

I discovered that nearly all the songs I like from my childhood had fiddles/violins in them... no matter who the artist was, if it had bows running across strings it was ok to me... and from like the Moody Blues, to Elvis, to Zappa so many strings back then... Jimmy Page used a bow on his guitar too iirc

18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

In the AK villages, going to the Fiddle Dance was big winter entertainment. It was usually country/bluegrass kinda music with a variety of local tunes thrown in. A big social event with lots of food and fundraising stuff going on.

YamahaRick and 27 like this.
  19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

a lifetime ago it seems I got swindled into accompanying a nice young lady to a play...

to my horror it was a musical... I knew nothing about the theatre but knew I hated musicals...

to my very pleasant surprise it was Fiddler on the Roof... and they had a great fiddler so it wasn’t nearly as horrible as I was dreading... :D

20. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

I'll bite... started playing guitar at 8 ...got bored of just the note learning and had an old Beatles book...that taught chords...my dad has always played etc.. and got me into it..a friend of his and my uncle saved enough $$ between friends family etc. and through support went to Nashville.. she recorded 2 singles 1 made top 40 the other not sooo.. much!
    however when she came back got dad involved for playing base..
    but couldn't find a decent guitar player... dad came home when I was 16 and asked would you be willing to learn base... sooo started and learned it.. and for 4 yrs I playing base dad guitar I was making 200 a night... and 4 times a month if not more was nice!
    we took 3rd in the Ohio state fair my senior yr.... will say I did quit when the drummer and lead singer....was a started well yeah wasn't cool and didn't agree.. but was best 3-4 yrs of my life next to 10,000 rpms skating on a knee..