1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancelled track day

Discussion in 'General' started by dave3593, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well that stinks, we always had good luck, no matter what brand of tires we were running. The trackday tire vendor would still change tires for us if needed. I always just asked and said I understand you need to take care of your tire sale customers first, but when you slow down could you mount these for us and we will pay you.

I would say the coolest guys helping at trackdays were Frankie Garcia (before he was semi famous) and Corey the owner of Pirelli vendor CT Racing. They mounted 125, SV650 and 600 tires for us while Tyler was coming up. They were also great when we switched from Pirelli to Dunlop on the 600, so Tyler could get a feel for them as we transitioned to AMA, Chris though, not so much.

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

like i said,IMO. Once upon a time, there used to be 60+ bikes at a regional race, on the track at same time

3. RoidRageFool

RoidRageFool @FundedByWifeRacing

Hey Dave,

Mid Ohio definitely had some issues running track days last year. Of course COVID-19 does help. The previous 2 years, I don't often remember days being cancelled, however I wasn't out there until May usually. There is no doubt that the surface needs repaved, but when the afternoon hits and it is warm, I do enjoy it there. I just know that I am sitting out the first 2 maybe 3 sessions in the am. I also know they didn't cancel some days last year even when it was pouring. I think they were trying to keep the days going. I had rain tires and still had a pretty good day, even though the line was different. But a majority of guys didn't ride and lost their day. Their big draw for me was Monday / Tuesday Track days as I work every weekend. However, they have very few back to back days this year, and I don't see myself making many of their events this year.

I also attend a few with N2 and EvolveGT. Last year, Evolve took a huge hit and ran Pitt Race with a very limited number of riders in early May. It was awesome, but they probably lost some money. I only saw one or two other track days cancelled with with Evolve and that was late in the year, and honestly, I figured it would be. Not sure where you are in Ohio, but I live in Pittsburgh and get to Mid Ohio in about 3 hours. Depending on you location, I have to believe you could make it to PittRace and back in the same day. Best of luck with those vacation days.

4. 2MM

2MM Well-Known Member

Personally I don't pre register for Mid O if I'm going to do a trackday. Conditions have to be optimal for the surface/grip to be good; likely why others don't pre register. Even on a good day the first and often second session of the morning often aren't worth going out. Boils down paying for a full day and and never feeling like your getting the same amount of track time compared to other tracks.

dave3593 and dobr24 like this.