1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying used helmets and racing gear: would you/would you not?

Discussion in 'General' started by DmanSlam, Jan 31, 2022.

1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I'd never buy a used helmet. Would do my best to avoid a rental helmet as well. Rentals (show-and-ride for schools and track days) may be a different situation though.

I was just surprised that people still sell used helmets these days. Probably good to know the seller personally if you go that route.

@Lawdog78 --> How do I find my SHOEI manufacture date? The Production Date is located on a sticker under the center pad of your helmet. Some will have month/day/year format with the month spelled out, for example Mar/11/2007. Some may only have 6 digits in year/month/date format, for example: 150919

Lawdog78 likes this.
  2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

no on used helmets, or boots. can you imagine the filth in either? not to mention on the helmet, you dont know if they "dropped it", or crashed in it. why are you selling a 5-700 helmet, so soon? boots.... GROSS! toe jam, fungus, plantar wart residue... nope, just NOPE! Ski

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I've bought used jackets, pants, suits, and a few pairs of gloves used. I've also bought some new, too. Helmets are always new.

4. DmanSlam

I'm really hoping to hear from those who still would buy a used helmet. I have done so, once, in my lifetime. I'm curious to hear from the sellers who have posted used helmets for sale. And buyers who obviously might be looking for a 'good deal'.

5. :stupid:

Hell I didn’t even like my own funk. I rotated helmets every race (if I could come back to the pit) so the other one could be drying on a fan.

Then after every weekend I pulled the guts out and washed them.

No way I could wear a used helmet. Hell I don’t even like trying on hats in the Mall.

6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What specifically are you trying to glean from them?

They're disgusting, horrific creatures and should be sterilized for the benefit of the entire human race.

TurboBlew and Gorilla George like this.
  7. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

Used leathers. possibly. Used boots and helmets, not unless they were ordered and the person got the wrong size and never wore them. I have this image of rental bowling shoes when it comes to helmets and boots that have been worn. Maybe a shot of that bowling shoe spray disinfectant would stop Covid??

I did have a friend call me about two weeks ago who knows I wear Shoei helmets and he had ordered the wrong size and never wore it. Unfortunately I wear the same size he does.

As far as gloves, If they still had the tags on and were just a sizing issue maybe, other than that no, and if you ever had a finger go through the stitching in a crash you would look at gloves in a different light. I just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago as my old ones were two seasons old and starting to show signs of stress.

DmanSlam and TurboBlew like this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

This is where you might run into snobbery. Some guys swear by Arais and would not hear of anything else being comparable. You dont get twice or even a fraction of protection more from a $300 lid vs a $600 or $1200. At least from the testing Ive seen. Features & eye port definitely.
    Once youve put a proper sized helmet on your head, for the initial fit, its considered used. One thats been sweated in... no

9. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I smash my old helmets before putting in the bin to prevent the possibility of anyone getting any ideas. A few regrets in doing so, but I don't have the space.

10. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I have no issue with buying a carefully scrutinized used helmet. One or two years old with minimal usage can save me 40-60% off of the new price. I buy leathers, jackets, and depending on my economic state, the occasional pair of boots.

I’m not a wealthy fella, but I prefer to don top quality kit. Purchasing lightly used, premium branded gear allows me to do so.

ToofPic and DmanSlam like this.
  11. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

My very first helmet was used, got it from the guy I bought my first bike from. I cleaned it well and wore it for about 1 yr. Then I got introduced to LS2 through a used lid. I bought a suit and some other gear from a guy and he threw in the helmet too. Cleaned it, loved it, and now it's my brand if choice.

My wife's first helmet was used...only worn like once and was too big for the buyer. Still smelled new.

Those are my used helmet experiences. Other than that it's been new.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  12. DmanSlam

Yep yep. Just out of curiosity and, perhaps, insight into the thought-process for someone who is selling a used helmet. Hell, check the first two pages. Quite a few used helmets listed for sale there. Not everyone thinks like those of us who have commented so far.

I could make the exception if I knew the person and seen him or her riding enough to know that the helmet was just gently-worn for a very few times, etc.

But it would be the exception, in extenuating circumstances, and certainly not the norm.

13. DmanSlam

Finally, someone's 'fessing up. We've all been there. :beer:

14. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I bought a used helmet from a respected member here (JBraun) and he stated it was used once in the ad. When I got the helmet it was exactly as described, not a scratch or smell, and he gave me a great deal. Based on my experience with him, I would definitely by used gear, as long as it’s very mildly used and from someone that posts here often enough you can get a feel if they’re trustworthy or not.

15. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

This thread just reminded me how much my gloves soften from sweat throughout the day.

16. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I've bought a few helmets used over the years from past friends I've known.
    My current leathers were bought used here, and looked brand new.
    I'm normally a germ freak and absolutely despise putting on a cold wet sweaty helmet that I own,so used is kinda sketchy.
    I've sold a ton of helmets, leathers and gear over the years.
    If you really think about it,all the door knobs, and public places you touch have probably been touched by someone who's dug in their ass,nose,crotch, pissed,shit, didn't wash their hands.
    I had to watch a film strip at work yrs ago, and it told of the statistics of unwashed hands and things you touch from those people.
    I'm also a truck Driver and God only knows the shit my current tractor has had on and in it the 700k miles before I got in it.
    I always Lysol weekly and always wear gloves when working,but were all exposed to some form of nasty shit if exposed to general public.
    Think about it every time you touch any doors through out the day

17. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Look, if every guy posting in here was afraid of putting his head in a wet place someone else’s head has been in, I’d be calling the whole fucking lot of you liars…

long path/road likes this.
  18. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup: called febreeze!!! hhahaah!

19. flewid

flewid Well-Known Member

My issue with used helmets aside from the prior owners possible head funk is even though it wasn't "crashed" it may have been dropped or compromised in some other way that wasn't visible.

20. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I'll buy a used helmet, to be used to protect my head, the moment after I trust a used condom.