1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buyer Beware - AT&T Wireless

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Poo Poo Pants III, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Last month someone changed my access pin on my account 3 separate times. I called and told them. They said I would of had to have done it. I didn't. I reset it. Yesterday I go out to deliver a customers bike to the race track, I get back to the shop and pop open my laptop to start doing a base map for a power commander and I have over 3k emails. I went though 500 of them and found someone had changed my access pin again and ordered themselves a brand new iPhone 7 plus RED. They signed me up for 3k email subscriptions to bury the order. Phone was being sent to somewhere in RI.

9 WHELAN RD
    APT 3-4
    PROVIDENCE, RI 02909

Unlink your credit cards from your account. This company does NOT take your account security seriously at all. I'll be switching companies this week.

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Called the police yet?

3. No and I know this might sound ignorant but I honestly can't even figure out why I should call them. What are they going to do?

4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Don't know, but you could let them know that someone at that address is receiving a stolen phone.

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I'd call my local, and the Providence police departments. Isn't going to hurt anything to have reports.

6. I called RI first, they told me to call the local police department and file a report. They can send an "air message" to the other state. I still feel like nothing is going to come of it but I'm on the phone with the Long Beach police department and it sounds like I can file something over the phone.

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Are they trying to stick you with the phone?

8. Not at all, they're just assholes. If I call 3 separate times about someone accessing my account and changing the most important piece of security they have and they do nothing they can fuck themselves.

Apparently because I have an address they can file a report and do something about it. They're sending out a unit to take a police report. Just what I wanted to deal with.

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Probably just being used as a drop address. Either unoccupied or the people are gone during the day.

10. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Careful when you switch away from AT&T.
    In February, I switched to another carrier, porting my number on the first day of my billing month. Since they always bill in advance - just like they do for landline service, I expected to receive a pro-rated final bill.
    This was a regular, ongoing account, not a pre-pay or a month-to-month sort of deal. I've been with AT&T for at least 6 years on this line.

I sent them a few dollars more than the expected pro-rated bill to avoid late charges while waiting for said final bill.

I got a bill that billed me for the full month, and added a late charge for not paying previous bill in full.

I called them and the Customer Service Rep said that their policy is to enforce payment of the full month. Now I've had AT&T and other provider's accounts both land-line and mobile over many years and never have heard of not getting a pro-rated bill when you disconnect mid-billing period. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told I'd get a call back within 60 minutes. It's been 4 days, and I'm still waiting.

So now I'm entering a billing dispute case with them. What a PITA.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've never gotten a pro rated bill for a cell carrier that I know of.

12. Update: LBC police wouldn't even take a police report.

So nothing will happen just like I assumed originally. What a bunch of bullshit.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Seems like Rob Linders came up with a good plan to pay you back for taking so long to work on his fork lift.

dsmitty37, 418, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

They have FAR more important things to deal with. Those revenue generating traffic and parking tickets aren't going to hand themselves out. You took valuable time from that officer's day, now he is behind on his quota.

15. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

:eek: Yikes!

16. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Of course nothing would come of it, not sure why you'd bother. The police don't give a shit about internet crime and don't have anywhere close to the resources to address it.

Got to admit, that's really good game for them to subscribe you to 3000 email lists. It's brilliant because they don't consume their own resources to send the emails and they're all likely legitimate lists with good sender reputations.

As for switching carriers, none of them give a fuck about you or your account security. I'd wager the same thing would've happened with Verizon or T-Mobile.

The scumbags are smarter and much quicker to adapt than large corporations or the government. Nothing anyone can do about it other than live on a desert island without technology.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  17. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

If it ain't about they money it ain't shit. Long Beach PD could've had that officer in a zone that abruptly goes from 50 - 25 with no warning and wrote at least 10 - 15 tickets. Bet they admonished him for costing them money.

18. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Over the years, I've received them from Verizon, AT&T, Cingular, and Alltel.

mdroadracer likes this.
  19. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Got a map?

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Sure. On your phone go to Google Maps and.....