1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a 350/500GP Bike

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by busapilot, Sep 10, 2009.

1. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I'll get T500 pics this w/e.

That is some nice work Rosko.....he does Carbonfiber also?...am I seeing that right? If yes, that impressive from a process perspective. :bow:

I ran a Hooker 2 into 1 like yours for a couple seasons....I wrapped it, which I think hurt it (too hot?) cuz it fell apart....I remember at GNF, using alum straps and hose clamps to hold it together:eek: worked well enough to finish 2nd to Bowie.....again.

2. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

I use Motion Pro cables, custom lengths and good quality.

3. WERA854

Just curious, but why do so many guys run such looong fuel tanks? I mean a stock CB350 burns about 1/2 - 3/4 gal of fuel in a sprint race. I never go out w/more than a gal in the tank unless I have back to back races.

4. CharlieY

Thats a good question Eric. I've run stock tanks for years....my first race with a long stretch tank was Road Atl this year, and it was quite different.....I prefer being alittle more fwd than that tank allowed....also noticed it didnt hold as much fuel as it looks like it does.

Wayne Moore and Tash Z have fiberglass tanks that are shorter than mine....I like them....appear to be stock length....Wayne....???

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  5. WERA854

Yeah, Wayne's tank looks about perfect...of course it won't do 6 laps around the IOM w/o refueling like those others. ;)

6. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

Rosko-those long tanks are beautiful-a throwback to the 1960 GP Hondas [when I think they needed more weight on the rear for traction with skinny tires] I went with the stock 1970 CB tank because I had a long fiberglass tank leak once and it was miserable. Also I tend to crawl forward on the tank when cornering to get more weight on the front I guess--it just feels better but the old fashioned fairings get in the way. The first race I ever won [Tally] was without a fairing the weekend after my first crash [RRR ] after that I cut the fairing further forward for more room. Heck, an even shorter CL350 tank may be even better. On the other hand Buff does all right with a long tank!

7. regnat

regnat Well-Known Member

Why do so many guys run such long fuel tanks?
    Strange question!Did you see pics from CRMC (category 350 twins)?Is there a guy using a stock tank?No!!!Did you see a 350 RSC or CR 350 using a stock tank?Why not a stock seat?Beurk!!We must respect the look of these Racing bikes!!
    Lionel

8. joec

joec brace yourself

yes, matt works in cf also.

9. joec

joec brace yourself

can of worms, opened. is cf legal for 350hondas in 350gp? or any vintage class for that matter?

10. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

from TFRB (Chapter Eleven - WERA National Vintage Series Rules):

"Bodywork: Full fairings of period design are allowed in all classes but not required (unless noted elsewhere). Dustbin fairings are not allowed. No brackets or bodywork shall be made of Carbon Fiber or Kevlar except in V6 and V7."

11. joec

joec brace yourself

i knew it was someplace.

thx!

12. Moore007

Moore007 Well-Known Member

...........no mention of drywall buckets?

13. james walker

Wayne, the only thing i found pertaining to that was in chapter nine, under superstock rules:

"...The items above constitute the entire realm of deviation from showroom stock for Superstock classes. If it does not mention you CAN do it, you CAN NOT."

:D

14. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

You may have me there, James.
    Except, I think I have some vintage buckets in my collection.
    As for the shark fin, that's an approved number plate!

15. james walker

:crackup: :D

16. CharlieY

That is good.....RB says "any Period bodywork or fairing".

Walker, you makin' a run at my title? :rolleyes: :D

Jack,....you probably dont realize it cuz its behind you...but that plate moves alot. go ahead and take a numberplate and bend it 90 deg's several hundred times, or more.....from behind or on the fence, it looks like its gonna come off at anytime......that thing moves alot is all I'm saying....on one hand, Its better than cut up plastic tubs I guess.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  17. busapilot

busapilot Well-Known Member

Going with .5 over (S2) pistons. Thinking: If I bodge up the .5 over I can always go larger.

I'd like to get the head media blasted so the valves and springs will be removed anyway. Anything I can/want to do with the valves/springs?

18. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

SCI sells new valves for stock replacement and I believe that Boretech is the spring source, if you want to go with new. You must specify stocker CB350 because they have V! motor parts as well.

19. CharlieY

whatever you are comfortable with on bore Busa....I went full 1mm over tho...

Valves, RB says "Valves must meet OEM specifications", so with OEM stuff non-existant, that pretty much tells me stock size aftermarket.

Yes, SCI sells valves, and they are nice.....springs too, I think. Boretech sells sets of 1mm over pistons, valves and springs also.

Bill at Boretech and Martin at SCI are both good suppliers for ALOT of parts for the Honda.