1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boxing

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Nov 22, 2023.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I recently watched the Showtime series "The Kings"....it's about the dominance of Duran, Hearns, Hagler, and Leonard back in the 80s. Back then, I've always considered Leonard the 4th best of these four, yet he beat all three of them.

Who do you consider the best all around pound for pound boxer ever?

I think it's between Ali and Tyson, and I think Tyson would have won.

I know Tyson is 24 years younger, compare them in their prime.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Tough call for sure.
    Ali fought in a time where they went more rounds, and IIRC believe he won more fights with a longer career. He also had a height advantage to Tyson. Tyson did great being very short for Heavyweight.

If you were to look at the body of work for say 7 years, I think Tyson is the winner, but over a long career Ali probably wins.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Tyson's fights were short because he knocked most guys out in the first round.
    Those fights between Jake LaMotta and Sugar Ray Robinson were pretty brutal.

BigBird likes this.
  4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Mayweather hasn't ever list, so there's that...

:Pop:

6. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Roberto Duran

7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Watching sports, I can only do for a few minutes before I get bored………Butterbean was my favorite back then, and his typically short matches fit the bill

dtalbott likes this.
  8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

If Ali makes a boo-boo, Mike KOs him.
    If the fight goes the distance, Ali will wear him out.

Once a Wanker.., BigBird and Razr like this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Some of you guys seem to be limiting a pound-for-pound discussion to heavyweights.

No mas...

wsmc42 and dtalbott like this.
  10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

If we go by stats alone....Marciano was the best....49-0

I think the most exciting fight was Hearns/Hagler, especially the first round.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Stats mean nothing when the people who should be fighting keep dodging each other.

12. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Foreman beat hard on Ali's body long enough to wear himself out, while Ali kept his gloves up to protect his head.

My Dad was a three-time Golden Glove champion, and very nearly made the Olympic team in the '40's. He admired Ali's ability to craft and execute a plan for everyone he boxed. He always despised the word 'fight.' He said lot's of guys can fight alright, but it takes someone special to be able to win regularly in a boxing ring. I was able to take him to several sessions when the Olympics were in Atlanta, and Evander made a guest appearance while we were there.

lopitt85 and wsmc42 like this.
  13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Luckily, I re-aquired my grandpas "hitman" hearns robe.

It's going in my game room soon as it gets finished being framed

All of the guys from the middle/late of last century were some bad ass dudes.
    They didn't have the blood tests and crazy performance drugs and workout/training machines available nowadays.

I"d love to know the true amount of money that Tyson got back doored on

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Ali.

Thing is many of the "greatest" are boring to watch including Ali.

More entertaining to see guys like Felix Trinidad, Lomachenko, Oscar de La Hoya, Gotti v Ward. I'd rather watch any of them lose or win because from the bell they're WFO going to war.

tony 340 likes this.
  15. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Those Hagler/Hearns fights were epic. I always considered those two more brawlers and Sugar Ray Leonard more of a polished boxer. I think if you are sticking with the pound for pound parameter, it leads you to that middleweight type category. How about Mayweather, Roy Jones Jr and Pacquiao guys?

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Any potential legend who refused to fight another potential legend at his peak and dodged the fight for years gets an automatic downgrade in my book.

Steeltoe, Boman Forklift and auminer like this.
  17. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge boxing fan and watched as much as I could on older boxers that were before my time.
    The ones that stand out to me, in no particular order are:

Jack Johnson
    Joe Louis
    Marciano
    Ali
    Tyson
    Sugar Ray Robinson
    Calzaghe
    Roy Jones
    Pacquiao
    Bernard Hopkins
    Mayweather
    Hagler
    Hearns
    Foreman
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    Lennox Luis
    James Toney
    Andre Ward

I'm sure there are others I'm missing off the top of my head.

But the one I enjoyed watching the most, as boxing fan, was Mayweather.

A lot of naysayers called it running, but I disagree. He was able to stand in front of people and hit without getting hit. His accuracy was was unheard of. His defense and footwork was remarkable. Stamina was great. Ability to adjust his game plan mid fight was unmatched. He showed an excellent chin the few times he ever did get caught flush.

He always knew everything that was happening. I remember one fight the judges were talking about an upcoming football game, and while boxing he was listening to their conversation and gave his prediction on the winner during the round!

He was so dedicated to his craft he was never out of shape like other boxers would do. At the end of his career he was fighting at his walking around weight which no one ever does... (they always drop 15-20) in water weight to fight down multiple divisions. He would spar 15 minute rounds with a fresh competitor coming in ever 3-5 minutes in order to build his stamina deeper.

Love him or hate him, you have to admit the guy was boxing savant with zero weaknesses and was dedicated to his profession in a way very few people ever are.

He could box on the inside, on the outside, fight you clean, get dirty right back with you if you did...

I remember the build up to the Mayweather/Gatti fight and people were saying Gatti ws gonna beat him and rough house him... and I laughed my way to some easy money in bets.

His biggest knock at the end was that he wasn't offensive enough (he was more offensive while trained by his uncle Roger, but his dad was more focused on his defense) and didn't punch hard enough, but that was after breaking his hands a bunch and he punched hard enough to keep people off of him! If you want to see the most offensive minded Mayweather, look at his fights when he was younger, as Pretty Boy Floyd (instead of Money Mayweather) and before the hand injuries. Like when he fought Corley, Corrales, Castillo, and the beating of all beatings at the end of his career...Gatti.

Like I say, even if you hate his guts, you gotta admit the guy was a dedicated, talented boxer.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I am not reading the rest of this post. Too bad, it showed promise. :D

lopitt85 and Razr like this.
  19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Post of the day....congrats sir:D

20. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Touche