1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boot Heel Repair

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Michael Hausknecht, Feb 19, 2024.

1. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

I occasionally tuck my heels in too far when riding and this weekend at RRR I finally wore through some of the heel protection on the inside of my Sidi's left boot heel from rubbing on the chain. There is a nice heel guard on the bike but when I'm on the balls of my feet, the heel of my left foot extends beyond the top of the guard. I'm looking for suggestions on a suitable product to rebuild the inside of the heel. I envision adding about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick layer of black stuff, about an inch in diameter, that will adhere well to the existing plastic and resist abrasion to some degree. And yes, my plan is to stop tucking my heels in so far, in some misguided effort to reduce aerodynamic drag.

2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

What about using your current heel guard as a template to create a new, longer one that will stop you from reaching the chain

3. Michael Hausknecht

Sure, but I still want to repair my boot because it is otherwise fully functional. The repair doesn't need to be able to withstand the chain; I'd just like to fill the hole a bit.

4. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Have you thought about any of the 2-part epoxies that you can get from the autoparts stores?

5. Michael Hausknecht

Yep! But there are a bunch, so I'm hoping someone can suggest one to get, or avoid, based on their experience.

6. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I have been impressed with the line of JB weld. It seems to always do what it claims. They make multiple products for various applications.

7. Michael Hausknecht

Absent additional incite, JB is my default. Thanks.

8. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

I rub my inside heel on the tire sometimes, I just layer it with Shoe Goo. It stays a little more pliable then JB does. Wear through that and more Shoe Goo.

9. Michael Hausknecht

Bought some JB Weld Plastic Bonder in Black. Mixed up well and smeared it on. Dries glossy and hard, rather like what I wore through. Seems a least as tough as the original hard rubber/plastic. Time will tell.

lopitt85 likes this.