1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

boat owners: past and present

Discussion in 'General' started by ToddClark, May 18, 2014.

1. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

but a seevee is a full open console right?

the HS isnt....I like to fish from the bow.

quads are too much. I like triples.

come down to texas...i will take you out on the mti...180mph and you will think everything else is a sail boat.

2. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

Is that an open offer to all? :)

3. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

come on down...i am glad to take anyone out. just dont puke in my boat like last passenger almost did.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know why anyone would want to go that fast on water. No way in hell. It's all nice and fun until it tries to fly.

5. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

it is kinda sorta flying...bring a boat up to plane means to get it out of the water as much as possible.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

1 foot above the ground. I ain't down with that either. I want plenty of air between my airplane and the ground.

7. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

my brothers has a duck and fuck in the front that you can fish from but his has twin diesels.

8. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

does it have a lot of room to move around in?

9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Not a single Ski Boat mentioned in this whole thread.... If you want to pull the kids and have a good handling good wake and good pull get a Inboard... Mastercraft, Malibu, Nautique, Supra, Correct, Sanger, Tige, Moomba ect.... You can still drop a pole in the water you just dont have the Trolling motors and crap....

You need to really decide what your going to be doing 90% of the time... There really is no good combo boat out there IMO... I do know over the last 30 years is that any Bayliner under 40 feet is crap... Stay clear away of wood floors, panels ect...

And for those that say boats are money holes buy right next time... I have had my 90 Mastercraft for 24 Years and with over 1500 Hours still no major issues other than props and waterpumps/impellers which is normal ...

Good Luck in the Future Todd.... Hope to see ya at the track regardless....

10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

OK, so I didn't mention a pure ski boat, but this was my old boat. Picked it up in 90 for $2500 and it never missed a beat. I used it as a fish and ski and it was the perfect boat for the water around Kentucky.

It's still in use with another family member today.

[​IMG]

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Checkmates were a well made boat... Here is my 90... I bought it new here in Georgia... Oh and as far as not buying this Photo the Hell with them.... Their Damn Helicopter is annoying as hell buzzing around the lake all day.... Then they want like $500 for a shot... Yeah Right....

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  12. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Here's the HS I was refering to, along with a video of the trip 557's doing their thing. It's pretty cool to hear the motors retard the timing to limit prop slip when he goes WOT. http://www.seven-marine.com/media/media-post-4

Here's the SEEVEE... it's open in the front, so you gulf guys can jig crap off the rigs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't make the offer. I'll book a ticket tomorrow. :D I've never been that fast in a boat. My dad was old buddies with Reggie back in Fountain's hay day, so I've only ever gone fast in the old lightnings with blown big blocks.

13. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Curious as to the total fuel capacity and GPH rate at WFO?
    Oh....and pics or link to pics if you already posted them?

14. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

not too much

Attached Files:

15. packfan

packfan El Presidente

Guys have not been around in a while (mostly lurk) but happened by and saw this topic.

I work in a Boat dealership which is also a Yamaha Marine / Evinrude sales and service center. Dropping 5k is gonna be more about who owned it than any brand really. I am also not a Force fan. We have a couple of customers with them and we do tinker with them all the. From carbs to coil packs but I can't say I have ever seen someone bring in a boat with a Force that is blown for a repower. Force parts can be a pain to get.

Mid 80s to late 90's 2 strokes in the marine world have unknown hours in most cases so much like buying a race bike, you hope someone took care of it.

Best you can hope is to pull the compression and I swear it is worth the 20 bucks to change the lower unit oil for them just so you get to see it. That $20 may save you scrapping it or trying to hunt down a "good" used lower unit.

Ones I would look for... Johnson GT150 (mid to late 80's) which are also Evinrude XP 150's. Thirsty but run like a champ. Carbed motor is easier/cheaper for the shade tree guy to work on. The Yamaha of the same era was a copy of the Johnson GT 150 (To the point OMC sued Yamaha in the 80's) called either the Pro-V or Precision Blend. Good motors also. I had a 88 Precision Blend 150 that served me well and still runs strong for a friend. 1991-1995 Johnson Fast Strikes are good motors in the carbed form. The 1996 (I think) it became Johnson's first effort at fuel injected two strokes (FITCH motors) and it is problematic at times. The high pressure fuel pump is know to fail. The Mercs of that era are good. Even in the 90's when they went to FI with the XRI series they run well. I had a 95 150 XRI on an 18ft Ranger (461vs) that would do 62mph on GPS.

Most boat manufacturers have transitioned out of wood in the transom but many/all boats that are gonna be in the 5k range will have wood in them. Check the gelcoat/paint around the motor for spider/stress cracks. Not a good sign. Check the transom from the inside also and look for the same stuff.

16. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Sea Vee makes one of the most fishable mid sized center consoles out there. Not too popular outside of Fla. though.