1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

boat owners: past and present

Discussion in 'General' started by ToddClark, May 18, 2014.

1. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

looking to get a used fish/ski boat.

what should i look for and which is the better option, inboard or outboard (as far as expense and ease of maint.?

Looking to spend around $5K.

2. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I've owned at least eight boats. Five bills aint gonna get you far.

I don't know squat about ski boats, but I know inboard is the way to go for that. For ease of maintenance? You cannot beat an outboard.

3. ToddClark

not looking for "much". matter of fact, ive got my eye on a 88 Bayliner with 125 Force outboard thats 25 years old. Always garage kept, 2nd owner, and in surprisingly good shape cosmetically (claims to be in great shape mechanically too), hence the reason of my post. Going to look at it later this week, take it out on the water for a test run, just want to know if there's anything in particular i should look for. Oh, and its only $3800 asking price.

I just want something that will pull a tube from time to time, something that will work for fishing more often. I dont have young kids that'll be doing much skiing if any at all. This is just something for us to be able to get out on the water and enjoy some family time.

in the bow, those cushions come out, and a bass seat goes in, comes with a trolling motor too. For the money, this is about the nicest one ive found. i just wanna make sure its dependable.

Attached Files:

4. Dits

Carefully inspect the deck, transom and stringers for rot.

IIRC Force outboards were made by Chrysler but are no longer manufactured. Do a quick search for parts availability. Sounds like you need a bass boat actually.

5. ToddClark

yea, im currently reading about the Force motor now. Actually not a bad motor, just low end, not the most powerful thing out there, yet dependable and extremely easy to work on. At this price, i'm figuring even if i get a couple of years out of the motor and have to replace it with a used Merc/Yam/whatever, if the boat itself is in top shape, then it appears to me to be a good buy. I think i can get it for $3000. And no, i dont want a full on bass boat.

Like i said, the current owner has owned if for the past 11 years, and its always been garage kept.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Inboards usually get better fuel mileage. Outboards leave more room in the boat. Will you be doing any skiing?

7. Dits

Yamaha. Best outboards... ever.

8. ToddClark

not much. and thats one of the reasons i'd rather have an outboard is more room.

9. ToddClark

yep, my feelings as well.

Dits, do you think that if the boat itself is in great shape, $3K for this thing is a good price?

10. Dits

Without looking up some comps, I couldn't say.

But if it runs well and gets you on the water, pull the trigger. Do what makes you happy. I've only bought one boat that I regretted. And I still had a blast with it. :up:

11. ToddClark

thats the way i look at it. Its cheap enough, and in this price range, ive only found ONE that even comes close to the condition this one is in. You're correct, $5K or less doesnt get anything "newer" or "top of the line". Im just hoping that since this guy has owned it for the last 11 years, and used it on a pretty regular basis as well as kept it in the garage, that he maintained it well. I know when they sit outside, they go to shit in a hurry.

I sold the racebike and everything that goes with it. I'm now officially out of riding. Ready to relax and spend the next few years leading up to my retirement from the work force in a less stressful, drama free environment. :up: Both boys are grown (21/26), altho still living at home, we dont see either of them much, but would like to be able to go out and get some family time in before they DO move out of the house altogether.

12. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Other thing to consider, especially with a boat that cheap, that leaves you some wiggle room if you just want to upgrade to a bigger, better, newer motor in the future. That's the nice thing about outboards vs. inboards. Buy a new, upgraded motor, get a 12 pack, by the time the 12er is done, you got yourself a new badass motor.

Now if you were looking 30+, be talking twin inboards and getting up there $$ wise.

For that price, that boat looks legit.

13. Dits

Ha! Welcome to my world. :up:

21 and 26? Holy shit. I remember cruising around Jennings in the golf cart with young uns.

14. ToddClark

LoL yep, Austin was racing Mini's when he was 11. Been at this shit for almost 15 years. It was time to move on. :up:

Oh, and we DID keep the golf cart. :D

15. ToddClark

yea, thats what i was telling the wife. If i can get into this for $3K, even if i only get a couple of years out of the motor and it blows up, i can easily put a newer motor on there and still have a nice boat for not a lot of coin. :up:

16. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

God I'm getting seriously depressed

17. ToddClark

why so?

18. RoadRash49

RoadRash49 Well-Known Member

Bayliners are pretty much bottom of the line boats, they have issues with the floors and seat mounts rotting . if it's not a problem it's been well cared for. tearing out some plywood, cutting some new pieces and covering it with indoor outdoor isn't rocket science and would buy you a bunch more years of life, but is a pita. can you see stains on the hull where the waterline actually is ? Is it much above the actual painted waterline or boot top? I can't tell from the photos you posted. one thing that happens with older boats is the cockpit fittings start to leak through the floor when the bedding compound deteriorates. you know, where seats are bolted, battery boxes etc. there's usually a foam core between the cockpit floor and the hull. this can hold water, which causes the boat to sit deeper in the water. sometimes if sufficiently waterlogged the boat can be overloaded just sitting with no one aboard. Carolina Skiffs are notorious for it. again, not a complicated fix but it is a major pita and you don't want to do that, you just want to buy a boat and go. if the engine doesn't run properly you could be looking at serious cash to replace it, outboards are very expensive. very.
    I've been maintaining 8 boats for our local yacht club, all of them outboards. we have 4 Merc's, 1 Johnson and 3 Honda's. The Honda's are an order of magnitude better than the others. they also cost more, though not as much as the Johnson's. I've been told that the Yamaha's are almost as good as the Honda's, cost less to buy and significantly less to repair. You could easily spend more than the purchase price of that boat for a used Merc 50. Sorry for writing a novel here, just wanted to cover some stuff to look at.

Pat

19. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

The thought of not doing something by inevitable force instead of choice

I'm sure I'll feel differently later

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

We had issues with Force motors. I would stay away from them myself.

I bought a killer boat for 3 grand. 17' Checkmate fish and ski. It had a Johnson 115 o/b and would cruise at 52 all day with 4 people. Only issue when I bought it was tight steering and I replaced the entire steering line for $115. Used it for 10 years then gave it to my grandpa and it's still going strong. Good, cheap boats are out there; you just have to look a bit.