1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

black brake fluid

Discussion in 'Tech' started by atomic410, Jun 1, 2009.

1. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

I had a cover around my resivor to the front brakes on my R6 race bike, when I took it off the fluid was black. why? The brakes still work great, but the fluid changed color. Did I boil the fluid? I assume I have to bleed all of this black fluid out right?

2. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

When was the last time it was changed? What lines are you running?

Regardless of the reason, the fluid has apparently degraded and should be replaced with fresh.

3. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

^^+1 replace fluid.

4. atomic410

Speigler lines and changed 4 race weekends ago.

5. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

how long ago was 4 weekends? (i'm assuming they weren't in a row)

6. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I've seen some nasty brown but never black!! For sure flush it out before it puts you on your head

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

What brand of fluid are you using?

8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I bet a ziptie will make it change back to clear.....:D

Color change is a direct indicator of fluid contamination or degradation.

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

But only if you have cornered really low.

10. atomic410

it's motul. i've just never seen fluid do this, thought it was really odd. i'll try the zip tie, if that doesn't work then i'll change fluid. thanks

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

:crackup:

12. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Won't work right until you use a Brembo MC too :)

13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Britt was joking about the zip tie...as many of us have on here. It's a long story.

I recommend (and I'm not joking this time) that you completely disassemble your brake system, or if you're not comfortable doing that, pay a good tech to do it and clean it completely, check crush washers, piston seals, etc. Your brakes are your last line of defense to avoid hitting stuff with your head, don't half-ass fix anything about front brakes, do it right.

Fluid turning black in four weekends is unusual and you should investigate, not just change out fluid.

14. atomic410

I hope the zip tie that I'm using as a chain link isn't to thick because I bought two of those just incase the chain broke again. I will take the whole deal appart. thanks.

15. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

2 zip ties?.....:D

16. Matthias Schaub

Matthias Schaub Spiegler guy

Did you change your brake pads and did not clean your caliper pistons before you pushed them back? That mostly causes the fluid to get 'dirty'. Just a thought... ;)

17. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

Did you ever wipe the black rubber gasket they use these days in the holding tank of a toilet?

I can rub that black from my finger and see it powder around the rubber gasket in the water. Could the rubber inside be decomposing like the rub beer baby buggy bump peers me handcuffed to chineze rub beer is their beer is good, and how toxic it is? I should really test, but I know their dog food kills and the toothpaste is toxic; as they export their industrial waste in export is maybe the rubber the aftermarket uses for a jobber [as in material to make] is decomposing, causing the black?

Brown or dark cream, but never black with even stock rubber lines. So, how new are the lines or how old are the lines?

If you think [about] it; is not the line or if they do not use rubber but plastic, then there should be a weak inch or link that can have more layer removed so as to bubble the line somewhere? Yeah, like plastic turns black as if it is black out of the container they use is just ribbing that junk science you read on the hardy-har-har posts sent in.

The only other rubber decomposing is the quad-rings in the calipers and the supple plunger in the master. If you bled the line clean, rode it and the oil turns black again, then it is not heat, or age, or water, but the rubber used in the brake system someplace.

18. superbikestore

superbikestore Well-Known Member

i'm sure is a retarded suggestion, but have you actually removed the cap from the resevoir and looked? Some resevoires have a black membrane that sucks down as the fluid goes down to keep a minimal amount of air off the fluid. It could be that the black cover has just sucked down low in your resevoir giving it the appearance of being black.