1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bicycle guys Gdawg bike shop question

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jun 12, 2023.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

racer_11 and G Dawg like this.
  2. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

You're going to learn a valuable lesson on just how incompetent humans are.

3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Well, if he's a business owner, he should already have an idea .
    I deal with incompetency on a daily basis .
    At $.99 a tube , it's not that big of a deal .

4. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Np, I was referring to Brex's post when mentioning "the above", I don't disagree with anything you've said.

G Dawg likes this.
  5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

6. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Tubeless is the way.

brex likes this.
  7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Do they make fix-a-flat for bike tires?

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Right because all bikes come with tubeless rims .
    Not so much fix a flat .
    There are a couple of brands that make sealant for tubes, but those also clog up the valve core after a couple of years .
    I stock heavy duty tubes that are 3 mil thick as opposed 1 mil for most standard tubes.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
    Razr likes this.
  9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

That linked article is great, but one thing not mentioned there are the people that will just throw a new tube in their tire without removing the thorn that flatted their last tube.
    People aren't smart enough to run their fingers along the inside of the tire to make sure they don't have anything poking through.

Once a Wanker.. and stickboy274 like this.
  10. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

And again, that's their problem.
    I've had several customers who buy tubes and when I ask if they have tire levers, they say yes .
    Then come back the next day with either the bike or wheel to have me install a new tube because they pinched it .
    The article is just a reference for Motion , as he's new to the business and hopefully it will help with customer education .
    Bottom line is you just can't fix stupid .
    FAQ's I get : Do you sell bikes or just rent them ?
    Do you repair bikes ( when I have them on the stands on parts on my work bench} or just sell them ?
    "I was not sure you were open" { 2 Open Signs displayed } 15 bikes & trikes outside on the bike racks .
    I'm old & grumpy as is , hard biting my tongue :)

Once a Wanker.. and motion like this.
  11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Thats why it should be legal to run over cyclists in the street. They to stupid to be allowed to procreate.

:D

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

If that's the case, it should be legal to run stunt squids off the road for riding like assholes .

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Your terms are acceptable.

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Agreed.

And I'll add dirt bikers and quads riding like idiots who think the laws..both man's and physics...dont apply to them.

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Might as well throw in the squids and Harley parade riders!

16. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

But $5 profit/tube or whatever is barely worth the time spent on the transaction, never-mind dealing with someone after they screw it up.

I wonder what the intersection of 'people who show up at the shop looking for a single tube' and 'people who know how to change a tube' is? When I ran tubes, I always had a bunch in stock and would never buy just one. I still have a handful because I carry one in case the sealant doesn't work.

17. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

When there was a supply chain issue, I stocked as much as I could but ended up doing some patching, informing the customer there is no guarantee on it .
    I was paying close to $4 a tube and selling them for $10. Prices have gone down and on average tubes are $2.75-$3.50 . I sell those for $8 & $10 . Plenty of mark up to deal with the occasional refund or replacement .

18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Now Motion needs a work stand, good pump, some Park levers, tubeless valve stems, tubeless sealer...

19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I actually went the reverse direction and went back to tubes last year

Hated that shit. If I lived in a warm climate and kept up on them maybe I'd try again.

20. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

motion likes this.