1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to pop popcorn???

Discussion in 'General' started by tito, Dec 3, 2012.

1. tito

tito Well-Known Member

So after 20 or so years, my loved hot air popper stopped working. so it is time to get a new one. SO what do I go with? stir popper, hot air? something else?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Microwave

3. jb_11

jb_11 Well-Known Member

A pot on a stove top.

4. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

Microwave popcorn sucks. I think the classic movie theater style pot w a stir bar is the best.

5. jdanhires

jdanhires Well-Known Member

Brown paper bag, 1/4 cup of popcorn, some butter, oil and sea salt. Mix all in bag, shake well and place in microwave. You'll have a greasy, hot brown paper bag when it's all done, but it'll contain some delicious popcorn.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Silly person. Don't you know microwave popcorn sucks. I read it on the beeb.

7. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Hot air poppers. Great if you like popcorn that tastes stale.

8. :stupid: no butter, little bit of salt . FTW

9. Crispy476

Crispy476 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

In a Kettle with a little veggie oil over the fire....

11. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

paper bag , handful of popcorn , little bit of salt , maybe some pepper or chili or garlic powder , no oil or butter

nuke it

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Watch the nuking and listen for the pops to stop - the bag can catch fire if you go too long :D

For quick - microwave, either home made or pre packaged. Still done the right way, hot oil makes the corn go boom.

Slower but fun to do is in a pot on the stop.

Best fun ever is still Jiffy Pop.

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Either use a stove top kettle ala a Whirlypop, or a proper dedicated kettle popper like you see in a movie theater.

For oil, my go to is coconut oil, aka what the theaters used to use before the went 'healthy'. Pop Secret yellow corn has given me the best flavor and results so far.

If using a Whirlypop, don't preheat, just put the oil in along with Pop Secret yellow corn and some salt to taste. Aim for med-hi to hi heat and work that handle.

If using a proper kettle setup preheat, add oil, allow to heat for a moment again, then add the salt, then kernels and let it do it's thing.

For 'theater style' popcorn you can add butter salt to the oil. Do NOT use non salt based butter flavoring as it'll just scortch and muck up your kettle. Orvil Redinbocker makes a butter flavored oil to use as a topping or cooking oil that gives decent results, but it also gums up the kettle over time.

Edit: Can't argue with Mongo, Jiffy Pop is pretty damn good too.

For those that like the taste of Microwave butter popcorn, cook it in a kettle you don't care about. Start with 2x the regular amount of oil (vegetable or corn oil), then drop in a good portion of a stick of butter, preheat a little, then add the kernels. The idea is to coat the popped corn with the excess oil/butter mix as it pops. This makes a hell of a mess of the pot, FYI.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Bacon Grease and a little salt and black pepper.

You're welcome.

15. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

The newer Redenbacher microwave stuff is actually pretty tasty :)

16. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

that and the damn smell takes a day to get rid of....add another couple if it's in my damned office.

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Quick and easy with no mess!

18. caferace

caferace No.

I kept an old microwave in the garage dedicated to popcorn. It made the usual shop smells go away..

-jim

19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Microwave popcorn is for filthy savages.

20. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I just want movie popcorn. That is the best popcorn period.