1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Back Protector to Prevent Serious Spine Injuries

Discussion in 'General' started by TrackHo, May 4, 2009.

1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'll rethink my disdain for the pace car on the track. I think I'll never accept the idea of a car on the track during a caution flag but maybe the rolling start isn't as bad as many of us think?

What about separating each row on the grid by much more distance. Would that maintain the excitement of the standing start but make turn 1 a little safer? I agree, it always amazes me that you can get all those bikes through there with so few mishaps.

Sorry about your friend TrackHo. I wear the T-Pro back and chest protection and like it.

2. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I have the Joe Rocket Speedmaster. Its made by T-Pro and It actually came with T-Pro tags on it. Its a little less money and a good option.

3. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

A friend who raced Daytona Sport Bike at Road Atlanta said he really liked the rolling starts as well. For the same reason.

4. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

They copied the appearance of the original Knox back protector (but not the actual design, making it even worse), and for a time they were affixing fake CE labels to the protectors. I don't have any idea what they're up to know, but I wouldn't wear a single thing from that guy, and they haven't earned anything in my opinion. The entire brand was built on the counterfeit Knox protector and fake CE labels...no earning involved.

T-Pro, Knox, and Johnson Leather have awesome back protectors, and the Helimot one (TLV?) has good reviews too.

5. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I have an A* Tech Race back pro - seems fairly stout. A little bulky, but comfortable once you get used to it. I've only lowsided on it and slid a little bit - no impacts.

I'll never hit the track without one.

6. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I agree 100%. If I hadn't experienced a _really_ close call at the GNF involving me getting The Start Of A Lifetime on my TLR, and a hidden TZ250 5 rows up having trouble getting going I wouldn't see the merit in it. If the guy directly in front of me had waited any longer before juking to the side to go around, I wouldn't have had enough time to avoid the TZ.

I'm not a physics expert, but a 500 pound bike and a 300 pound rider WFO at the top of second gear asspacking a small gut on a TZ250 probably wouldn't be a pleasurable experience. Those starts aren't as intense, but they have to be safer.

7. TrackHo

TrackHo Well-Known Member

Yep--I agree that there is NO 100% answer--except stay in your easyboy at home--However it seems that there may be some room for improvement in the spine protection portion, Im guessing that most are NOT designed to sustain a 400lb bike + 200lb rider at speed--and it might not be possible to design one that would.

Another buddy got run over in T2 is the 750 race, he got run over too, but on his stomach side--he did much better and only lost some ribs and his spleen--he was wearing a back protector but NO chest protector. I use Helimots chest protector--but it is bulky--I have an impact armour on order well see how that does

8. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

T-Pro

I have a T-Pro back protector and unfortunately tested it last year at Nelson during the first WERA weekend there in practice on Saturday. I Hi-Sided and landed flat on my back and it absorbed a ton of impact for me. KovzR6 actually had pictures of me just before landing! (Yea I did NOT buy those!)

The T-Pro as stated earlier is a "softer" type armour but it worked for me. I bought their chest protector this year and love it. It made me feel much more secure. I know it is in my head but if you are not wearing a chest protector get one! Everyone wears the back and nothing up front. Once you wear one you will understand what I mean "The protection feels more complete" with it both front and back...

Ride safe,
    AAron

9. AeroRamer

AeroRamer Mid-life crisis is fake

I feel the same way. I also wear the T-Pro under pants under the leather suit.

This year I started using the EVS loop neck protector and a Brain-Pad mouth guard. After one try the neck protector feels OK. The mouth guard, I definetely did not set it right and it was hurting me a little and end up not using it after the second track session. I will try buyin another one and re-try.

10. Claudius

Claudius Active Member

Absolute +1. CE Level 2 Certified. Repeated impact certified. Rider Power Number one back protector for many years. Comfortable, fits easily under leathers, perforated. Love it.

T-Pro also rocks too.

11. PJ1

PJ1 Active Member

12. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Wrong.

LEATT BRACE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deflects engergy into back muscles and collar bones instead of spine and upper neck (upper spinal injuries are the most likely to cause paralysis). Also stops the heads omnidirectional motion before the critical point.

I wish Jeremy Lusk had been wearing his.

Just to reiterate:

'Back protectors' are exactly that. They protect against direct impact/abrasion and puncture (to an extent). They do not and are NOT designed to prevent injuries from hyperextension or hyperflexion.

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Leatt brace doesn't work for road racing due to the body position...but there is something else out there for road racing under development. Can't remember the name though.

14. lrrs311

lrrs311 r6racer311

I NEVER ride without my leatt brace...on my motorcross bike. I'd be really interested to see what's being made to work for roadracing. It'd be something i'd buy.

15. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I will check what brand I have later, but I have tested it in about 9 racing crashes. No direct impacts, just my body hitting the track and/or tumbling at speed.

16. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Yeah, well, show me how to tuck in on a TZ250 wearing that thing and then I'll concede the point. This isn't a motocross website.

17. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I've seen a couple people wearing them for road races.

18. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Alpinestars was making one designed for road racing. Not sure where it's at though...

19. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

One what kind of bike? How do they tuck in?

20. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

I wore an old style flexing plastic Dainese back protector for years and years and thru multiple crashes, loved that thing, when I moved from California to Georgia in 2006, I stopped at Willow Springs ( there just happened to be a race there that day) and got measured for new leathers from Adolf at Z, (my second pair from him over the years) and finally decided on the Bohn pro-air protector with the chest protector as well. Used everything at some track days and a couple of races in `07 and `08, a little bulky compared to what I was used to,(after lap 1, I didn't even notice anymore) but seems like I may be protecting myself better than I used to.

On a related note, back in `91, I got run over in my first expert race at Willow and was wearing off the rack Fieldsheers and NO BACK PROTECTOR. Broke my tail bone good (still hurts occationally), in the intial fall, and then got hit and broke the other side of my pelvis, femur, humerus,clavicle...

Although complete protection is impossible, without quitting racing, I won't ride without a back protector. I like my Bohn, but I wish there was some hard plastic in there, even though it may not do any good.

Hope your friend fully recovers...

Last edited: May 6, 2009