1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belly pans - vague race org requirements

Discussion in 'Tech' started by DmanSlam, Aug 6, 2021.

1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I had a discovery with my belly pans (more details below) and I was curious about CCS/WERA racing requirements for belly pans. Unless I'm reading the wrong rule books, was surprised to find, basically, nothing:

CCS -- Section 5.2.15 -- talks about a belly pan and routing of hoses into/out of a catch can but nothing about capacity or design. As clear as mud.

WERA -- Ch. 8, 9 and 11 -- sparsely mention belly pans and catch cans. But, like CCS, the requirements are basically non-existent. Muddier.

This research came about after I left the fairings and belly pan on during a spray wash and saw I needed to drain my belly pans. Instead, I used a hand pump to siphon the water from the belly pans into a bucket.

Using the formula for cylindrical volume (V=πr2h), cubic capacities were 286.1 cu in for one belly pan. 413.3 cu in for the other.

Pretty impressive.

But why aren't there rules considering how often the race schools espouse the benefits of using a belly pan?

2. DmanSlam

Here's the contents of belly pan 1
    221690084_1079776775889486_8136299195307053029_n.jpg

222291548_239545954686128_9098130932026621615_n.jpg

3. DmanSlam

Here's the contents of belly pan 2

221706344_1269439220181933_1873268332911312590_n.jpg

222291548_239545954686128_9098130932026621615_n.jpg

4. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

WERA does specify capacity. "All machines are required to have a lower fairing capable of holding 5 quarts of liquid."

sheepofblue likes this.
  5. DmanSlam

Thanks. I figured there MUST be a rule. My google search for the rule books didn't find it. 5 quarts would cover both oil and coolant/water capacities of any of my bikes.

6. PeaPod

PeaPod Well-Known Member

CCS rule
    "5.2.23 All 4-stroke machines must be equipped with a fluid catch pan of sufficient size and heat-resistant material to contain the contents of the crankcase in the event of an engine or crankcase failure. Minimum capacity of the fluid catch pan is to be 3 quarts."

At the end of the day, if you think about how much oil you put into your bike, you just want to make sure your catch pan can hold that much, right?

Also FYI in CCS, you can put a drain hole into you belly pan and use a plug. Makes draining rain/wash water out easier.

"C. A maximum of two holes, 1” or smaller in diameter, may be drilled in the fluid catch pan. These holes are to be plugged during dry conditions, and may be opened only when the event is declared “wet” by the Referee/Race Director. (Tape is not an acceptable plug for these wet weather drain holes.)"

DmanSlam likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Our rule is in Chapter 8 under General Machine Requirements (ie things that all bikes must have done to them), section 2 - "z)All machines are required to have a lower fairing capable of holding 5 quarts of liquid. Machines not equipped with a lower fairing from the manufacturer may have a custom piece fitted. Any machine which has a newer or OEM “race” model may use the newer models fairing to comply with this rule (i.e. the TL1000S may use the lowers from a TL1000R). In Superstock classes lowers must be OEM spec with any necessary holes filled in. Lowers must be attached in a manner approved by tech."

We didn't get more specific because there is no need and bikes vary way too much.

A pretty generic heavy duty roasting pan that we allow holds 2.25 gallons give or take so it easily meets the criteria.

We do not require a "rain hole" or the like, I'm still not sure I like them. We do require your pan to be empty when you go out on track, especially in situations like it rained all night but the track is dry...

SundaySocial likes this.
  8. DmanSlam

Thanks @Mongo and @PeaPod

I didn't actually read the entire sections the first time because I did a "word search" for belly, pan and catch can.

@Mongo , re your last sentence. An N2 tech flagged me on Sunday for residual water in my bikes' belly pans using that very explanation (dry track and my dripping water). Said the corner workers might throw the meatball or red flag the session.

9. 647

647 Well-Known Member

I am assuming that because it is not specifically called out that WERA does NOT allow for drain holes in even if they are plugged in a water tight manner? Can someone confirm that assumption? Thanks.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We allow them if they're plugged up. It's left pretty open to cover things like that.

11. 647

647 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification.

I'll plan on putting two holes in the pan that are plugged up with bolts and orings to seal when it is dry.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm curious - why bother? If it's raining and you're on track it won't collect any more with or without holes. If it's not currently raining it's not hard to just drop a side and empty the vast majority of them.

13. 647

647 Well-Known Member

It'll mostly fill up on the way to the track (unfortunately, I don't yet have an enclosed trailer :( ) or sitting in the pits if it is raining. The Sharkskinz kit for the 2017-21 R6 requires you remove both the sides to remove the lower and it's more of a pain than just taking out two bolts so that it'll drain.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Although I'd go to 1/4 turn fasteners and pull it anyway since you have to for tech :D

16. 647

647 Well-Known Member

It is all 1/4 turn phillips Dzus now . . . there are 8 or so in each side panel . . . for tech I only need to remove the LHS and you can then easily see the header bolts, coolant bolts/hoses, oil plug and filter without having to remove the belly.

17. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Instead, get some rubber body plugs on amazon and drill the holes to match these. Lighter, simpler solution. (Or if you have an older F-series you can pull them out of the doors)

18. 647

647 Well-Known Member

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Instead of buying a whole kit you can buy just a few 1" from Kurvy gurl